The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

People On Benefits

»Tina«

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've just found out that if your on benefits and breed more than one litter a year to sell that you will be classed as having a business and your benefits will be stopped, and you will be investigated,

a friend of mine has been breeding and selling snakes while on benefits (it was more of a hobby as they are practically house-bound) and someone grassed them up and they had to be investigated and had to sell off all but one of thier snakes,

this aplies to breeders of ANYTHING who are on benefits and sell more than once a year.

just thought I'd let you all know.

»Tina« said:
I've just found out that if your on benefits and breed more than one litter a year to sell that you will be classed as having a business and your benefits will be stopped, and you will be investigated,
a friend of mine has been breeding and selling snakes while on benefits (it was more of a hobby as they are practically house-bound) and someone grassed them up and they had to be investigated and had to sell off all but one of thier snakes,

this aplies to breeders of ANYTHING who are on benefits and sell more than once a year.

just thought I'd let you all know.

someone grassed them up, were these GRASS SNAKES by any chance

keith

:thumbsup:

ISNT IT SILLY, WHEN YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ALL THE EXPENSE OF KEEPING ANIMALS TRAVEL TO SHOWS ETC YOU DONT CLEAR MUCH MONEY :rant:

we used to show cats an have the odd litter we had to keep recipes for everything to show we werent making any profit on any litters we had as long as we had no profit from it we were fine but you have to be above boards and sqeeky clean. we contacted the benifits agance before we had our first litter to check rules and regulations you should allso keep everything incase the taxs man comes knocking even if your working they can get you they did with a few cat breeders and they found them buy saying they were after a kitten differnt cat clubs

Some of you may already know this (1 on K9 definatly does)

around 3 months ago we recieved a knock on the door from the Inland Revenue & the Benifits Agency & our Local Council (including the enviromental Health) who had recieved an anonymouse tip off that we were breeding pups just for profit and that we ran the lure coursing as a bussiness.

they had been given the web address's of the Mums to be thread (in ped racing) and the Northwest Lure Coursings thread both on k9.

having nothing to hide we invited them in, they asked a lot of questions about litters we'd bred in the previous 12 months (as thats all they are interested in the previous 12 calender months) stud fees we'd recieved ect ect and then they went through what we pay out on the dogs ~ food, leads/collars deisel traveling to racing, race fees, absolutly everything even worming tablets and flea spray.

so after about 3 hours taking details and looking at all our reciepts, checking our house over and our dogs they left saying we would hear soon what their decission was.

but then off the record they said that as far as they were concerned we were/had been doing nothing wronge and as far as they were concerned as in most of these cases they were just down to jelousy.

several weeks passed before we got the official verdict that we had been cleared of any wronge doing.

During the conversation we asked them several questions (obviously) 1 was how many litter can you breed a year before they effect you benifits the answer was as long as you were breeding to continue a line and you keep a pup from most litters they accept that thisa was not done for money but to continue a line.

we also asked if found guilty would we have to get rid of our dogs, their answer was that the Benifits agency didnt care how many dogs a person kept they only cared if they are bred for a purpose to keep a showline/racing line going or if they are just bred for profit.

TBH I think some of the legislative bodies mentioned by Mark will investigate you whether your on benefits or not. I remember a malicous person doing similar to my Mum's show kennels and it was really distressing for all of us as a family when these officials bounced in to our home and started investigating us for whether we needed to have a breeding licence. All my Mum's dogs were pets primarily, she kept all her old OAP's and any litters she did breed was as part of her show program so a pup always remained. TBH In my own opinion to make a serious profit from dog breeding alone, you would have to be extremely ruthless in regards to feeding / medical care etc and the sheer fact your taking a gamble on nature when it comes to the actual birth well I don't know but I'm sure there's easier ways to make money out there with much better odds.

Edited to add, can't see snakes being that profitable either??

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should of mentioned that theyed been filming me for 2 weeks as well as they were also told I was working while Claiming Disability, they also cleared me of that as well.

But the good thing to come out of it is 1stly you get to know the law 1st hand and 2ndly you find out who your true freinds are.

these people should mind their own buisness if you ask me...we are not talking major fraud or murder here.....im sure if you want to make money there are far easier ways than breeding animals (w00t)

I"d like to see any breeder make any money from a litter of pups if they are reared correctly and given everything they need there is no profit, my heating bill alone is a fortune not to mention the washer on at least 5 times a day cause the minute you clean the little monkeys out someone always goes on the lovely clean blanket and does something.

I think as was said to us its other peoples jealousy that you have something they dont.

another thing the cat show breeders were told to do to protect themselvs was to have a sperat bank acount for there animas so all ins and outs could be clearly seen and if they uesd any of there own monys other than what they had from kittens they should but it in the banks first so it was loged as coming from there own pocket. there are allways nasty people in the world jelous or angery at other so I think you just have to keep a good record of thinks. I think most bank acounts would stay in the red most of the time though :lol:

its amazing isnt it the lengths people go to because of jealousy :eek: ...we had a dog in at the vets many years ago that had been poisoned at a dog show where it had been expected to win ...luckily though the dog survived but the owner stopped showing after that....such a shame :angry:

That is disgusting Kaz, fancy taking it out on the poor animal, what a cowardly thing to do. :rant:

my old stud cats dad was possioned at a cat show the vet fort for 5 days but in the end he had to be Pts I never showed again as you have to leave your cat in the hall on its own to be juged and anyone can through somthing in the pen on the way back to there cat ots horred and that was all for profit as the cat was allways winning so the ones under him couldnt get there titels and then charge more for there kittens the worrest thing is everyone new who it was we just couldnt prove it

~whitecross whippets~ said:
its amazing isnt it the lengths people go to because of jealousy :eek: ...we had a dog in at the vets many years ago that had been poisoned at a dog show where it had been expected to win ...luckily though the dog survived but the owner stopped showing after that....such a shame :angry:

That's exactly what this individual did prior to the other attempt I mentioned. :( Mum and Dad carried on showing though until the second incident. It was sad really that they did stop showing but when you chance on someone who is so hellbent on destroying you it's better to walk away for the sake of your sanity.

i had a very promising pup poisoned at the north of england dobermann club show.she had won every class since she came out at both open and champ shows and she was being tipped for the top.we took her straight to our vet who diagnosed that shed been given an extremely corrosive substance (acid?) and was vomitting up her own stomach lining (we thought shed eaten berries cos they were little red lumps,little did we know they werent berries but pieces of flesh) :rant: i never showed her again even though she did eventually recover,and i didnt go to any shows for some time,id had enough of it.i thought if this is what dog showing is all about you can keep it. :angry: my dogs matter more to me.as regards the dog breeding licence case i always think every cloud has a silver lining.im pretty optimistic by nature and tbh the way our lives have gone since this happened to us,its benefitted all of us,but at the time i thought it was the end of the world. :( we didnt have the good fortune to have some nice official knocking at our door though.they came in the middle of the night with a warrant to search our house,6 policemen,2 rspca inspectors,a vet, 2 enviromental health officers,and uncle tom cobley and all!i knew the vet(who was disgusted but had to attend,and the rspca inspectors who were equally disgusted, but also by law had to attend)although we won our court case and were awarded all costs (over 30 thousand pounds it cost the council!) (w00t) i decided to walk away.it would have eaten me up with hatred seeing this guy at shows after what he put my family through,and i couldnt have promised that i wouldnt have done something silly. :angry:

Poor you and your family Kris :(

Glad its all in the past .

Isnt it amazing what jelousy can do to people :rant:

You have to feel sorry for them :angry: Sad ba :rant: ds

my friend was breeding rosey boa's and not even making a profit after costs on them, but he still had to get rid of them otherwise the benefit office were going to stop his disability :angry:

he's very depressed at the moment, as his snakes were his life :(

I was shocked as this is the first time I've heard of it, so be carefull guys.

»Tina« said:
my friend was breeding rosey boa's and not even making a profit after costs on them, but he still had to get rid of them otherwise the benefit office were going to stop his disability  :angry:
he's very depressed at the moment, as his snakes were his life  :(

I was shocked as this is the first time I've heard of it, so be carefull guys.

Good topic, considering some of us do breed (pups at least :lol: ) ......... I hope your friends ok :huggles:

I think he'll be ok, he has alot of friends and he also knows who grassed him up, so he's hatching his revenge (w00t)

he also bred his own mice to, but because he wasn't selling them (they are snake food) they let him keep them!

I told him to just carry on breeding but just sell to people he trusts, and not to advertise them to the public, but he just gave in and got rid of the snakes, now he has tons of mice and no snakes!

I'd take all the mice to the person's house and set them free (w00t)

Mark Roberts said:
Some of you may already know this (1 on K9 definatly does)
around 3 months ago we recieved a knock on the door from the Inland Revenue & the Benifits Agency & our Local Council (including the enviromental Health) who had recieved an anonymouse tip off that we were breeding pups just for profit and that we ran the lure coursing as a bussiness.

they had been given the web address's of the Mums to be thread (in ped racing) and the Northwest Lure Coursings thread both on k9.

having nothing to hide we invited them in, they asked a lot of questions about litters we'd bred in the previous 12 months (as thats all they are interested in the previous 12 calender months) stud fees we'd recieved ect ect and then they went through what we pay out on the dogs ~  food, leads/collars deisel traveling to racing, race fees, absolutly everything even worming tablets and flea spray.

so after about 3 hours taking details and looking at all our reciepts, checking our house over and our dogs they left saying we would hear soon what their decission was.

but then off the record they said that as far as they were concerned we were/had been doing nothing wronge and as far as they were concerned as in most of these cases they were just down to jelousy.

several weeks passed before we got the official verdict that we had been cleared of any wronge doing.

During the conversation we asked them several questions (obviously) 1 was how many litter can you breed a year before they effect you benifits the answer was as long as you were breeding to continue a line and you keep a pup from most litters they accept that thisa was not done for money but to continue a line.

we also asked if found guilty would we have to get rid of our dogs, their answer was that the Benifits agency didnt care how many dogs a person kept they only cared if they are bred for a purpose to keep a showline/racing line going or if they are just bred for profit.

How horrible,

Did you ever find out who had reported you? I think that is really upsetting and it must have felt so invasive to have people picking over your life and home :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back