The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pet Insurance

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
~Helen~ said:
:wacko: right, this is now sorted out. The £205 was a mistake but they're refunding me. The Nil Excess is back on the policy :thumbsup: Feeling happier.

Glad you got that sorted - if they've quoted you one price for renewal they can't take a different one (unless it's lower).

W

well i thought I would check m&s out on line for ninny and i got quoted £118 no excse it eams odd theres such a differnce in prices

Just been reading the FAQ re insurance as im thinking off going with M and S, but whats the story with them now? is it still no excess, etc or is that just for old customers now? ( Mean old as in 'existing' LOL !) :cheers:

whippynit said:
Just been reading the FAQ re insurance as im thinking off going with M and S, but whats the story with them now? is it still no excess, etc or is that just for old customers now? ( Mean old as in 'existing' LOL !) :cheers:
Lisa I'm not sure, I'm an existing customer and I still have my NIL excess, which I do pay extra for. Have a look at their website and see. They do have several different excess options which are different prices.

I have to say that although the premiums went up I've stuck with them - they're still slightly less than Pet Plan (who I was with previously), their old age policy is FAR better than PetPlan with regard to % and excess etc (which I have to consider since Chelsea is now 9 1/2), they also offer a discount for addition dogs after the first (PetPlan don't - or didn't) and overall they've paid out pretty well for us. We had a LOT of claims last year - had a few bad months at the end of the year - and they paid out everything. I like the no excess as it means I can claim back things under £50. If it's the odd £10 I don't bother, but I do claim back if it's much more than that (though usually things have been MUCH more!).

The only thing I say with looking at any insurance as there are more out there offering similar products is check the fine print. Is the amount you can claim limited? With M&S it's either £6,000 or £7000 per year (not per condition) but that 7,000 is reinstated every single year. Some it's a maximum of 1 year or £2000 whichever you get to first and that's no good with ongoing lifelong treatments.

I think More Than was £7,000 over the life of the dog when I was looking at it, which sounds a lot, but can go pretty quick with one bad accident.

So look at the small print. A lot of the ones that sound good are really only good for a year or two then you're stuck.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Wendy, :cheers: I will look at their website - i was jsut being a bit lazy and thought id come on here first :lol: Id been trawling back through all the insurance posts on FAQ and theres so many :sweating: , it seemed that the general feeling was M and S was by far the best policy - and then i got to the recent posts saying about them adding an excess and premuims gone up , etc so then i started to get abit confused! Im sure id read on here somewhere about a 'Argos' one?

Will have a look anyway, thanks :thumbsup:

whippynit said:
thanks Wendy,  :cheers: I will look at their website - i was jsut being a bit lazy and thought id come on here first :lol:   Id been trawling back through all the insurance posts on FAQ and theres so many :sweating: , it seemed that the general feeling was M and S was by far the best policy - and then i got to the recent posts saying about them adding an excess and premuims gone up , etc so then i started to get abit confused!  Im sure id read on here somewhere about a 'Argos' one? 

The last time I looked at the Argos one it was something like £2000 per condition or for one year whichever came first. So really it was no good for more than a year.

What you want to look for is Cover for Life - where there's a set amount reinstated every year, and each condition is treatable for life.

Stay away from E&L - they will find any loophole to not pay and delay paying for months. Vets hate them and so does anyone who's ever tried to make a serous claim.

Wendy

chelynnah said:
whippynit said:
thanks Wendy,  :cheers: I will look at their website - i was jsut being a bit lazy and thought id come on here first :lol:    Id been trawling back through all the insurance posts on FAQ and theres so many :sweating: , it seemed that the general feeling was M and S was by far the best policy - and then i got to the recent posts saying about them adding an excess and premuims gone up , etc so then i started to get abit confused!  Im sure id read on here somewhere about a 'Argos' one? 

The last time I looked at the Argos one it was something like £2000 per condition or for one year whichever came first. So really it was no good for more than a year.

What you want to look for is Cover for Life - where there's a set amount reinstated every year, and each condition is treatable for life.

Stay away from E&L - they will find any loophole to not pay and delay paying for months. Vets hate them and so does anyone who's ever tried to make a serous claim.

Wendy

Hi Lisa & Wendy

I've got Ruby insured with ARGOS after M&S price hike. It is costing £10.92 per month for platinum cover which is £6000 per year for vets fees - a good level of cover and a lot bigger than you thought Wendy ;)

I had a good look around and couldn't find a better one at that price. Excellent cover and great price :thumbsup:

jok said:
chelynnah said:
whippynit said:
thanks Wendy,  :cheers: I will look at their website - i was jsut being a bit lazy and thought id come on here first :lol:    Id been trawling back through all the insurance posts on FAQ and theres so many :sweating: , it seemed that the general feeling was M and S was by far the best policy - and then i got to the recent posts saying about them adding an excess and premuims gone up , etc so then i started to get abit confused!  Im sure id read on here somewhere about a 'Argos' one? 

Wendy

Hi Lisa & Wendy

I've got Ruby insured with ARGOS after M&S price hike. It is costing £10.92 per month for platinum cover which is £6000 per year for vets fees - a good level of cover and a lot bigger than you thought Wendy ;)

I had a good look around and couldn't find a better one at that price. Excellent cover and great price :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice wendy, i'll stay away from E and L then! :eek: I wouldnt of know if you hadnt of said :thumbsup:

Jo, Is the 6,ooo on the Argos cover renewed the next yr still if theres an ongoing condition do you know? or once youve claimed once on a problem is that it? :unsure:

whippynit said:
jok said:
chelynnah said:
whippynit said:

Wendy

Hi Lisa & Wendy

Thanks for the advice wendy, i'll stay away from E and L then! :eek: I wouldnt of know if you hadnt of said :thumbsup:

Jo, Is the 6,ooo on the Argos cover renewed the next yr still if theres an ongoing condition do you know? or once youve claimed once on a problem is that it? :unsure:

http://www.bdmlconnect.co.uk/ArgosPetInsurance/benefits.htm?

Lisa, here's the link

With platinum cover the cover is up to 6,000 per condition and rolls onto the next year/s. So you can keep claiming for the same problem. This isn't the case with the cheaper policies but as i say, it was £10.92 for platinum cover for Ruby :thumbsup:

jok said:
whippynit said:
jok said:
chelynnah said:
whippynit said:

Wendy

Hi Lisa & Wendy

Lisa, here's the link

With platinum cover the cover is up to 6,000 per condition and rolls onto the next year/s. So you can keep claiming for the same problem. This isn't the case with the cheaper policies but as i say, it was £10.92 for platinum cover for Ruby :thumbsup:

Thank you Jo :thumbsup:

jok said:
whippynit said:
jok said:
chelynnah said:
whippynit said:

Wendy

Hi Lisa & Wendy

Lisa, here's the link

we've gone for the platinum and it was the same price as yours, Jo, and MUCH cheaper than our other two who are on M&S. I think Argos had only just started doing Platinum when we applied for Monty (Feb this year) but the cover looked pretty much the same as M&S (although obviously £6000 rather than £7000 limit). It's a lifetime policy :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Jo - It's been a while since I looked, that's why I always say look for a lifetime cover.

It's always worth looking round at everything every few years to see what's out. Sometimes you're locked in if you end up with a long term condition, but certainly worth looking at other policies if either you don't have any exclusions or have a new animal. That's when I started looking and found M&S when they started - when we got Teya. At the time all 3 insured with M&S was only £2 or so more p/m than having 2 insured with PetPlan which was really one of the only other few doing the lifetime at the time, so we moved 2 from PetPlan and started Teya on M&S from teh beginning.

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back