The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Phantom Pregnancy?

NatalieMc

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Lo all,

Meg will be two next week :wub: and finished her second season about 4 or 5 weeks ago. The last four days she has been acting very weirdly and Im wondering if it could be a phantom pregnancy...but havent ever had a bitch who has had one before. Theres no way she could be in pup, never out of my sight when in season.

She is verrrrryy whingy especially on an evening (not normally whiney at all), much more clingy and wanting cuddles, shes eating but not as much as usual, keeps bringing her favourite squeaky toy but doesnt really want to play with it but she goes mad for it back if you squeak it and then carries it round for ages.

Ive checked her over and she doesnt have anything obvious that is giving her pain to make her whine all the time :unsure:

Does this sound like a phantom...or does it sound like something else....or is she just been a whining witch :b

If it is a phantom will she just sort herself out, is there something I can get her to ease it...she doesnt seem a very happy bunny at the minute :(

Thanks

Natalie

Could well be a phantom. Try some fluffy toys that she could 'mother' and lots of sympathy and cuddles when you are sitting down of an evening. But other than that just treat her normally.

My little terrier had them all the time.

Stage one: very emotional and licky, wanting to be with you constantly.

Stage two: would disappear with my father's slippers to her little nest under the spare bed for a week.

Stage three: would get totally fed up with her footwear offspring and spend a day chewing and growling at them before returning to her normal self.

They didn't really seem to distress her, so we just left her to it.

Sound very much like a phantom ........One of my lot was terrible, and we used to be all kind and gentle with her and around her until my vet said we are prolonging her phantom through doing this :unsure: ........So we had to pick up all of her "babies" and treat her like normal, and this did actually work ...........We had Yasmine speyed in the end for her's and our sanity, as I felt it was very unfair on her to go through this every 4-5 months .......Hope Meg feels herself soon :)

Thanks so much for all your advice. She is currently "nursing" one multicoloured cuddly octopus and a squeaky bone?! (w00t) :wacko: .....will just let her get on with it now I know what it is.

Thanks again!! :cheers:

Natalie, Meg, Octopussy and Boney :- "

Strike Whippets said:
Sound very much like a phantom ........One of my lot was terrible, and we used to be all kind and gentle with her and around her until my vet said we are prolonging her phantom through doing this  :unsure: ........So we had to pick up all of her "babies" and treat her like normal, and this did actually work ...........We had Yasmine speyed in the end for her's and our sanity, as I felt it was very unfair on her to go through this every 4-5 months .......Hope Meg feels herself soon  :)
i had the same thing with ellie and had her spayed in the end too, the last two phantoms she had i had to have something from the vet, but i cant remember what it was called :wacko:

hope this is a one off and she gets back to her normal self soon :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back