The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pick Of Litter

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Seraphina said:
Somebody old and wise once said: " It is easy to pick the best of the litter, deciding if it is really good is the difficult part".  :wacko:

Well said Lida...... It would have been interesting to meet that old and wise person.

Whippets would have to be the most difficult to choose the best one when you are grading them. Breeders who can proudly annouce that they are all 'show quality' definitely are in a dream world. And to make it worse tell the would be purchaser that they are all of exceptional quality, temperament etc. etc. and that no one else has lines as they do, is a whole lot of rubbish. And to let them go at 8 weeks is even harder. That chubby little puppy with the fantastic temperament often leaves your home, you view the puppy at a later stage to find you have let go a beautiful swan. The best bit is that they are more than likely in a wonderful home that is more rewarding than anything.

:cheers:

sued said:
Seraphina said:
Somebody old and wise once said: " It is easy to pick the best of the litter, deciding if it is really good is the difficult part".   :wacko:

Well said Lida...... It would have been interesting to meet that old and wise person.

Whippets would have to be the most difficult to choose the best one when you are grading them. Breeders who can proudly annouce that they are all 'show quality' definitely are in a dream world. And to make it worse tell the would be purchaser that they are all of exceptional quality, temperament etc. etc. and that no one else has lines as they do, is a whole lot of rubbish. And to let them go at 8 weeks is even harder. That chubby little puppy with the fantastic temperament often leaves your home, you view the puppy at a later stage to find you have let go a beautiful swan. The best bit is that they are more than likely in a wonderful home that is more rewarding than anything.

:cheers:

I quite agree that not all the pups in a litter are worth looking at. Not every litter is worth looking at. Since coming back into the breed I have been kissed by the blarney stone so to speak. I was given all sorts of guarentee's with a puppy that was super show quality. I was told if it didn't make the grade and was asked to take it out of the ring by the breeder they would sort another puppy out for me. Well not knowing the lines I took their word for it and trusted what I was told.All I can say is believe nothing your told and make your own mind up. Unless the aggreement is on paper don't beleive a word they say, They only want a sale. I have some very pampered pets but they have the bloodlines to produce maybe something half decent. and would never part with my babies for anyone.

mikadene said:
Well not knowing the lines I took their word for it and trusted what I was told.All I can say is believe nothing your told and make your own mind up.  Unless the aggreement is on paper don't beleive a word they say, They only want a sale. I have some very pampered pets but they have the bloodlines to produce maybe something half decent. and would never part with my babies for anyone.

An old quote: "A verbal aggreement is noy worth the paper it is written on." (Cartman 2006) :D

though i believe these days a verbal agreement is as binding in law as a written one :- "

Cartman said:
mikadene said:
Well not knowing the lines I took their word for it and trusted what I was told.All I can say is believe nothing your told and make your own mind up.  Unless the aggreement is on paper don't beleive a word they say, They only want a sale. I have some very pampered pets but they have the bloodlines to produce maybe something half decent. and would never part with my babies for anyone.

An old quote: "A verbal aggreement is noy worth the paper it is written on." (Cartman 2006) :D

Well I would hve thought it so myself. A big breeder going back on their word Well you can guess I wouldn't give them the time of day. I blame myself but was just so taken over by the moment of getting a new puppy in and a breed I haven't had for about 20 yrs, and not knowing what the latest trends are in the show world. So it is my fault.

To go back to the thread it isn't coincidence that the long time breeders keep bringing very nice dogs out. It's experience that talks. I gained that in Shepherds and now I am trying Whippets my first breed.

Good lucjk to all that enter at Leeds.

Mike

not knowing what the latest trends are in the show world.
Could you please explain the above statement please. I thought that a whippet was suppose to bred to the breed standard. (Maybe thats where we are going wrong?? :- " )

dawn said:
Could you please explain the above statement please. I thought that a whippet was suppose to bred to the breed standard. (Maybe thats where we are going wrong?? :- " )

Please Dawn I haven't mentioned any names and there's the question of stopping me buying a pup from a breeder on the Continent by lies and down right evil ness. So I will not and cannot answer you without revieling names

Mike

mikadene said:
dawn said:

Please Dawn I haven't mentioned any names and there's the question of stopping me buying a pup from a breeder on the Continent by lies and down right evil ness. So I will not and cannot answer you without revieling names

Mike

I fail to see what your reply has to do with Dawn's question about 'latest trends in the show world'. I don't see anywhere where she has asked anything about naming names or expanding on the situation you mentioned or even about stopping anyone buying from breeders. She just asked about your statement about trends in relation to the standard.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back