The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Picking Your Brains

Joanna

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Right all you experienced breeders and generally knowledgable people. A friend of mine is doing a course which covers all aspects of dogs from breeding to anatomy and behaviour as a foundation for a degree. Her latest assignment is to explain why several days after whelping, some bitches reject the pups.

We thought it could be;

• Post partum infection
    Hormone change as happens with post-natal depression
    Mastitis
    Over-handling of pups by humans

How are we doing and are there any other reasons you can think of or experiences that you can share?

Interesting.

I have heard of puppies being rejected because of something being wrong with the puppy itself eg a deformity of some kind.

I agree Judy

in nature a bitch often knows if there is a fault with her pup and so will leave it to die (or try to if the breeder left her too it)

I have limited experience of a bitch rejecting some of a litter - only to find out there was some thing wrong with the pups rejected, later.

Never had a whole litter rejected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks every-one, got this from Sarah today so thought I would pass it on.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the answers to the dog question I asked you. I thought you

would all like to know that I got an A- for the question, with the

answer being that they may have an infection, Mastitis, Eclampsia, Milk

fever, a retained pup, retained afterbirth, or no milk (so you and you

friends were right)

If I need any help in the future I know who to ask.

Thanks again

Sarah

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back