The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chloe1159

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This is my first day here. I don’t really know what I’m doing or how this place works I’m basically here to beg for any help.

My westie is 13 years old and for the last 6 months has been having ongoing problems.
It started with sickness and diarrhoea and he was given anti nausea and antibiotics which helped for 3 weeks then it happened again. At the beginning of each month he gets unwell and is now refusing to eat. It lasts 4-7 days of complete food eversion and low energy then he is ok for 3 ish weeks until it starts all over again. There is inflammation in his lower intestines that causes pain. His weight is pretty stable and he has had in depth blood tests that came back clear and he has had 3 ultrasound that has not identified anything of concern. All his organs are very healthy for a dog of his age.
No tumours found, no pancreatitis, no bacterial infections, no parasites and no addisons
The vets are stumped.
He is currently on steroids to reduce the inflammation in his colon and they are working well as all the inflammation and pain is gone and he takes anti nausea when needed but it’s been going on so long with no diagnosis or cure in sight.

If anyone has experienced anything similar with their dog please let me know or if anyone has any clue what it could be or how it could be treated I would appreciate it so much. I’m desperate for anything that could help.
Sorry if this is a rambling mess.

Hello and welcome, I'm sorry you join us under these circumstances.

An acquaintance had a dog whose eating habits sound similar, she found a hydrolysed protein food helped - what is it you are feeding?

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry you and your dog are going through this.

Hello and welcome, I'm sorry you join us under these circumstances.

An acquaintance had a dog whose eating habits sound similar, she found a hydrolysed protein food helped - what is it you are feeding?

Hello, the vet thought it was possibly a food intolerance so he had been on Pro Plan Vet Diets HA Hypoallergenic dry dog food. Like everything else it worked for a short time then the cycle started again.
We tried the canned version and he out right refused to eat it.

The ingredients list of the Pro Plan food don't look great: Composition: Maize starch*, hydrolysed soya protein**, minerals, coconut oil, sugar*, rapeseed oil, soya oil, fish oil. * Purified carbohydrate sources ** Protein source.

It has been suggested that maize starch, the main ingredient, can lead to intolerances.

Normally I would suggest giving a grain-free food with a single, known, protein source, maybe a raw diet, but I'm not a vet or a nutritionist so don't think you should change his diet without discussion with your vet. Unfortunately, vets themselves get very little education on food nutrition, and much of it comes from the companies that make the food. It would be interesting to know if feeding literally just chicken, or maybe a different protein he's never had before (e.g. rabbit?), might help... but again, I would get your vet's blessing first.

Hi and welcome from me too, also sorry to hear your westies troubles.

Some people find slippery elm helpful at soothing inflammation in the intestines(for animals and people), it might be worth doing a bit of research on it and running it past your vet.
My ferret has inflammation in his small intestines(amongst other things!)at the moment and I'm thinking of trying him with slippery elm. He's also on something called 'cobalaplex' (for dogs and cats)which is a vit B12 supplement and I give him a probiotic. All help support the gastrointestinal tract... I do understand how hard it is when you don't know why or what's going on and the vets can't give you an answer:(... managing the symptoms and trying to keep our animals comfortable is all we can do sometimes. It might be worth trying to find a good canine nutritionist for advice, again, as judy says, with your vets blessing.

Hello, welcome.
I am sorry to read about your problems. There are often easy methods and remedy's to help overcome a lot of troublesome problems. @JudyN has suggested a raw feeding diet, this could help resolve your problems, but not all vet's will agree. Please read this attachment; Myths About Raw: Is my vet really qualified to be giving nutritional advice?

Also another attachment by Holistic Vet "Nick Thompson". A highly thought of vet with a lot of experience in our dogs required digestive requirements.
Contact details for "Nick Thompson" are included in the attachment.
I also find his videos interesting.

There is often a simple underlying remedy to so many of our pet's problems.

Thank you all so much for the help. I have tried to reply but I keep getting a error message saying it think I’m trying to post spam
I am looking into local nutritionists so hopefully someone will be able to see him and help.

since my post my dog has been showing signs of anxiety after all the vet visits so that is also affecting his eating.

i really appreciate all the support and well wishes it has helped me during this time.

I have tried to reply but I keep getting a error message saying it think I’m trying to post spam

I'm guessing you were either trying to post a link, or quoting a post that had a link in - spammers sometimes quote a post and amend the link within the quoted bit... Do say if there's anything in particular you want to post but can't, and I should be able to help.

I'm guessing you were either trying to post a link, or quoting a post that had a link in - spammers sometimes quote a post and amend the link within the quoted bit... Do say if there's anything in particular you want to post but can't, and I should be able to help.

It’s had a link in it! a thank you for letting me know. You are all so wonderful and helpful

Nick is an exceptional clinician - highly recommended by me too.
Agreed, same here. Have been to several of his talks, and he is really exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful.

you did not mention antiflee treatment. are you using them and when.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back