The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Please tell me this will get better...

sparkle4ever

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Had Barley now for about 10 days. And as previous post has said, it has been difficult and arduous.
Today went to a whole new level.
As I said, the 'breeder' was male. Barley has bonded a lot with my OH.
But OH has to work (so do I, but that has gone awry). OH working from home upstairs. First day of this.
Barley going mental downstairs from the moment he (Barley) has got up. Zoomies, increased biting, getting into places that he didn't before (our house is almost bare now, we have done everything possible to stop this, proofed beyond proofed and he still finds a way. We might just as well get rid of all furniture and eat off the floor the way we are going. You can't have cushions or anything, its actually pretty sad. Garden is proofed too, so it now looks like a prison). When OH is in the room, Barley is soooooo much better, much calmer. Different.
The crating idea...for them to calm down gets mixed up with discipline in a way. I have crated him four times this morning because it was totally and utterly overwhelming. He is in the crate now. He was crying, now he has stopped. Finally calmer.
I don't want to have to permanently crate him though to be able to get a cup of tea, to do some work, to go to the toilet. To eat.
Its madness.
I do try with toys, with being with him, but he just goes beyond anything I can do.
I have had people tell me it is because of the breed, so intelligent and over excited. Others say it is the breeder, the way he didn't do what he should have done.
But at the end of the day, I actually don't know who could tolerate this, even if he was rehomed (somehow, and god knows how that would even work).
I had a Springer before. By the time he got to me, he'd been rehomed twice before. Because of these reasons. And he had serious SA. For 13 years, we never left him alone.
I have given up tennis that I used to do (too exhausted) drumming classes (no time to practice), the gym (too exhausted), broadcasting for radio (that I am meant to do, but how...) and other work.
I am worried genuinely that I can't tolerate this.
Forgot to add, we have spent a fortune on Barley. Puppy trainer said to get the calming collar and plug in. But when do we stop paying out like this, over and over.
Please tell me...this will get better.

He is a busy breed - yes, it will get better but it's not likely to be overnight.

As I remember, he isn't a very young puppy, he's maybe about 12 weeks? It might help if you can start training him some 'jobs' to do, as an outlet for his energy. Maybe scent work, or fetching things for you?

Thank you. Yes we are training him, especially fetch when he is calmer. But it is when he is calmer.
He is almost 13 weeks now.
It could be today is a bad day because of OH not being present, but that is not a good thing I know, or maybe it is, because Barley will have no choice but to get used to him not being around.
Tomorrow, OH literally won't be in the house or the next day. Fun times. Think of me ;)
Could be going through the storm but if you don't hear from me after Wednesday, assume I've run away :D

I'm not an expert by any means - we had enough trouble when we took on Mabel. There's a game/task which Mabel does on her own. Like most sighthounds she'll eat for England. I hide a treat (half a Lily's Kitchen Woofbrush veggie chew) somewhere in the house and it's Mabel's task to find it. I just have to say "search" and she's off. It wasn't difficult to engage her in the game and now it's part of her routine after her afternoon meal. it doesn't involve either myself or the gauleiter (apart from hiding the treat), she just gets on with it. I've heard about games to engage a dog's brain - Mabel would be useless at those as (forgive me sighthound people) she's a whippet - but your little chap may find a positive distraction with those. I stick to Buddy Rich's "Rudiments of Snare Drumming" rather than dragging out the whole kit but I've done my time with percussion. Before I retired I'd entertain myself during some tedious business meetings by writing out the tablature to Ravel's "Bolero". Got away with murder - gave the impression that I was making copious notes. Anyhow, best of luck with Barley.

What are you feeding him, and what does he have as treats? Some foods can (allegedly) contribute to hyperactivity.

If you need to shut him in the crate so you can get a break, then do it and don't feel guilty - it's important for both of you that you keep your sanity.

I'm not an expert by any means - we had enough trouble when we took on Mabel. There's a game/task which Mabel does on her own. Like most sighthounds she'll eat for England. I hide a treat (half a Lily's Kitchen Woofbrush veggie chew) somewhere in the house and it's Mabel's task to find it. I just have to say "search" and she's off. It wasn't difficult to engage her in the game and now it's part of her routine after her afternoon meal. it doesn't involve either myself or the gauleiter (apart from hiding the treat), she just gets on with it. I've heard about games to engage a dog's brain - Mabel would be useless at those as (forgive me sighthound people) she's a whippet - but your little chap may find a positive distraction with those. I stick to Buddy Rich's "Rudiments of Snare Drumming" rather than dragging out the whole kit but I've done my time with percussion. Before I retired I'd entertain myself during some tedious business meetings by writing out the tablature to Ravel's "Bolero". Got away with murder - gave the impression that I was making copious notes. Anyhow, best of luck with Barley.
I love this. Thank you

What are you feeding him, and what does he have as treats? Some foods can (allegedly) contribute to hyperactivity.

If you need to shut him in the crate so you can get a break, then do it and don't feel guilty - it's important for both of you that you keep your sanity.
Thank you. Arden Grange, for both food and treats.
And yes, thank you, crating for sanity purposes. I am hoping it will get better in time
(Meanwhile, the pup trainer told me spaniels are often returned to their breeder and not much else that was helpful apart from click and treat (I am seriously beginning to really not like those words for some reason...click and treat, click and treat...click off already).
And to look up a breeder and trainer called Jane Arden.

I think Arden Grange is a good food, but it does contain maize, which can cause hyperactivity in some dogs. It might be best to switch to a grain-free food. It has been claimed that high-protein diets can lead to hyperactivity, but this may not be the case - the quality of the protein is more important.

Many dogs seem calmer on a raw food diet, and chewing on bones can keep them happily occupied. Raw feeding is much easier and convenient than people often assume - if you want more detail, do ask.

But of course, it's possible that pup is simply 'normal for him', and will take time to develop a sensible head.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back