The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Police Dog To Be Pts

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
If he made an unprovoked attack on a kennel handler, i say he should be distroyed...

Thats whats happening with the dog which bit sammy.....

If you look on Zingy Zone there is an updating suggesting he may redeployed as a prison dog.

Kim and Tilly said:
If he made an unprovoked attack on a kennel handler, i say he should be distroyed...

read the post again KIM it wasn't saxon that made an unprovoked attack on the kennel handler

mally said:
Kim and Tilly said:

read the post again KIM it wasn't saxon that made an unprovoked attack on the kennel handler

I did say IF.....

Gwent Police said a dog's destruction was only considered if a force believes the dog in question cannot be re-homed, re-deployed or retrained successfully and therefore presents an unacceptable safety risk to the public.

There must be a reason then, they wouldnt put a dog down for no reason

Kim and Tilly said:
mally said:
Kim and Tilly said:

I did say IF.....

Gwent Police said a dog's destruction was only considered if a force believes the dog in question cannot be re-homed, re-deployed or retrained successfully and therefore presents an unacceptable safety risk to the public.

I have quite a few dealings with the police given my job and i've ask a few for there opinion on this subject. They were not at all surprised, police dogs get pts all the time and quite for no reason what so ever. They just happen to be surplus to requirements.

Seems such a waste of tax payers money to spends thousands in training a dog to do a job then pts when it gets too old or when it's no longer needed. I think the dogs deserve a good retirement. Well thats my opinion anyway for all it's worth.

mally said:
Kim and Tilly said:
mally said:
Kim and Tilly said:

I did say IF.....

I have quite a few dealings with the police given my job and i've ask a few for there opinion on this subject. They were not at all surprised, police dogs get pts all the time and quite for no reason what so ever. They just happen to be surplus to requirements.

Seems such a waste of tax payers money to spends thousands in training a dog to do a job then pts when it gets too old or when it's no longer needed. I think the dogs deserve a good retirement. Well thats my opinion anyway for all it's worth.

i agree with that...

But what i cant understand is why they wont let this couple take the dog in, after all thats what they usually allow, so there must be something wrong with the dog??

Or just something wrong with them....(police chiefs)

After all the coverage wont they change their mind??

Sorry I read it that he attacked his handler.

Mrs Townley said her husband has been told Saxon is unsafe because he bit Mr Townley twice in the first year they worked together.

Yes it does say that AND the police handler said that it was his fault not the dogs. That was in the early stages of training the dog and the dog has gone on to protect that police handlers life many times.

The unprovoked attack that Kim quoted wasn't about this dog.

This is what the police handlers wife has said about the dog.

'The Police management will argue that he is a dangerous dog, well that's just nonsense, just ask all the handlers and kennel staff who look after him, all the officers who know and respect him, ask them who is the best Police dog in Gwent? And guess who they will say. '

Last edited by a moderator:
BeeJay said:
Yes it does say that AND the police handler said that it was his fault not the dogs.  That was in the early stages of training the dog and the dog has gone on to protect that police handlers life many times.
The unprovoked attack that Kim quoted wasn't about this dog.

This is what the police handlers wife has said about the dog.

'The Police management will argue that he is a dangerous dog, well that's just nonsense, just ask all the handlers and kennel staff who look after him, all the officers who know and respect him, ask them who is the best Police dog in Gwent? And guess who they will say. '

BJ

Point from the orignal site

ISSUED BY GWENT POLICE

SAXON - PRESS STATEMENT

A great deal of public interest has been shown in the future of the

police dog, Saxon, which has recently been withdrawn from operational

duties as a result of concerns about its temperament.

Saxon will be assessed tomorrow, Tuesday 8th August

I think that if the handlers wife wants to take a chance with this dog as she feels that it is no problem, then the Gwent police should let her have the dog.

Another point.. Think the handler will be getting a new dog which he will keep at home.

Hopfully a home can be found for him with some who is experianced with "dodgy" dogs.

has anyone got a update on this story?

I am absolutely appalled by this story and feel sick to the stomach. This can't be allowed to happen. Have the National Papers been contacted regarding this - lets get the whole UK behind this cause.

Save Saxon!!!!!!!!!

mally said:
Here is the story of the Wife of the handler taken off of the Videx German Shepherd dog website: (Please  click here to view the picture of this gorgeous dog) My Husband is a serving police dog handler and home office police dog instructor with Gwent police and for the past 4 years has had the honour and privilege of handling the most wonderful police dog. Saxon who is a 5-year-old German shepherd has been an extremely loyal and faithful servant of the police force and has been responsible for detecting many criminals.

Saxon has been my husband's partner, sole mate trusted friend and loyal companion during his service and on many occasions my husband has been alone in very dangerous situations with only himself and Saxon to arrest serious and sometimes violent criminals.

Both my husband and Saxon have been commended for their team efforts they even had a personal letter from the chief constable on one occasion. My husband's stories to me are endless and amazing and I feel safe in the

knowledge that Saxon has and will put his own life in front of my husbands to protect and look after him.

When off duty Saxon lives at home and is looked after by the whole family, my daughter takes him for walks and always plays with him. Saxon lives both in his kennel and inside our home where his favorite place is on the sofa next to my husband, sometimes I just don't get a look in they are like a married couple.

For the past 3 months Saxon has been housed at the police kennels at Glascoed where he has been looked after by the police dog handlers whilst my husband has been away.

A few weeks ago my husband was informed that Saxon was not to be re licensed as police dog and senior officers were to make a decision as to his future.

This was happening at the same time as another police dog Kye, and we suspected that they were to put both Saxon and Kye down at the end of their service. My husband stated his case and made representations on Saxons behalf offering him a retirement home with us as his family for the rest of his life.

We were as a family more than happy for this to happen, Saxon is not a danger, as anyone who knows him or has looked after him will testify. We were and are prepared to sign any agreement as to liability issues with regards to him.

Today my husband was informed that Saxon is to be destroyed and the reason given as being 'the responsible thing to do'

My husband is distraught and extremely upset this dog has meant so much to him over the years however as a serving officer cannot do anything about it due to the restrictions imposed on him by the service!

SAXON has no voice, BUT MY FAMILY AND I DO

Therefore I want to make an appeal for Saxons life and I feel that the general public should be made aware of the facts, please help us to SAVE OUR SAXON.

The police use Usk veterinary surgery at Usk for all the veterinary care for police dogs, surely they cannot nor any other veterinary surgery be asked to put down a perfectly healthy, fit and loyal dog just because it has come to the end of his service?

The Police management will argue that he is a dangerous dog, well that's just nonsense, just ask all the handlers and kennel staff who look after him, all the officers who know and respect him, ask them who is the best Police dog in Gwent? And guess who they will say.

I feel that the police management are treating this living animal with no regard whatsoever, like a disposable tool, he has had his use and now its time to get rid of him. Is this the thanks that they give to a loyal and faithful servant?

Will they do the same to other dogs in the future? How can anyone now donate dogs to the Police Service knowing that they will be destroyed at the end of their service.

The truth about Gwent Police dog section must be heard. Ask the Police how many other dogs they have had killed. The police have members of the public assigned to monitor the health safety and welfare of Police dogs, well where are they in this case and what are they doing, are they just puppets on the police's strings?

Yes Saxon is the property of Gwent Police service that are answerable to the general public and police by consent.

Saxon belongs to the people of Gwent who he has protected whilst we all sleep at night, who has caught criminals breaking into our homes, who has with my husband caught numerous car thieves who has faced armed and violent

criminals alone, who has found missing children cleaning their faces, who has represented Gwent Police at Regional Police Dog Trials, who has taken part in open day events, the list goes on and on...SO MUCH FOR A DANGEROUS DOG.

Saxons days are numbered he due to be put to sleep we need your help now, please help to save this wonderful dog.

click here to sign the petition

thankyou

I find this up setting I new a ex police dog called max who did service for the police force and then got kiced out because they throught he was use less but a big fight saved the day and he lived out his with a young family but I know some where in sussex/surrey area is a police dog rescue centre

Maybe if we witheld the police portion of our community charge........ :- "

have signed the petiton and also sent a email to the police constabulary involved

signed petition :thumbsup:

Fair enough if the dog had been faithful , loyal etc and THEN recently had bitten his handler then maybe he should be PTS but not this way round - he bit his handler at early stages of training, then they worked through his problems ( or the handlers probelms in handling him) and since then he has been 100% loyal and protected his handler on several occassions........... SOOOOO what i cant get is WHY HAS HIS PREVIOUS INCIDENT FROM EARLY TRAINING JUST COME INTO QUESTION NOW ??????? :wacko: :rant: :rant:

What happened to Saxon? Has it been finalised yet?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back