The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poole Canine Club Open Show

janfiers

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:D Had a great day judging at Poole Canine Club, with a good entry of 34 Whippets although there were 9 absentees. There were Whippets that I've had the pleasure of judging previously but they just didn't show of their best today as it was very humid and sticky both inside and outside.

Delighted that both BOB and BP won their respective hound groups. There were 8 breeds in the main group, although only 4 stayed for the Puppy Group. But hey, who cares, you've got to be in it to win it.

Hopefully, I'll have managed to copy and paste that bit of my critique as I was judging Pomeranians and Afghans too. It's already been emailed to the dog papers.

Whippets

A lovely entry and my decisions were received in a very sporting manner. There was evidence of a couple of bad mouths, one overshot and one level bite which was mainly due to a lack of underjaw. Unfortunately some of the exhibits didn’t enjoy the humid conditions in the sports hall and this showed in lacklustre movement. I did find some very straight shoulders which meant that there was little front extension. If the dog doesn’t have front extension then however good they may be at the rear, they cannot drive with the hindquarters, equally some exhibits had a lack of drive. Some exhibitors had a tendency to overstretch their dogs. If your dog fidgets it usually means they are not comfortable.

Puppy (5,1)

1st Reed & Spooners’ Dejare Ma Petite Amie. Red fawn bitch of good size, pleasing head and expression. Had the right length of neck and shoulder placement, balanced body, moving soundly. BP &PG1

2nd Hills’ Buebezi Exhibitionist

3rd Boughtons’ Meandi Dare To Dream

Special Yearling

1st Chamberlain & Hillyers’ Star of the North. 17mths fawn dog Well shaped head, also with good length of neck into well laid shoulders, balanced in body, required depth of chest and good hind quarters, well muscled but without exaggeration, allowing him to move with drive and extension. I was seriously considering him for BOB but he did not move at well in the challenge being affected by the heat.

2nd Reeds’ Dejare Cobweb

3rd Boughtons’ Jencosky Silver Dollar TAF

Post Graduate

1st Bridges’s Devonstown Star Mover. In this class she certainly was. Lovely compact bitch of nice size with all the required attributes. Being ultra critical I would have preferred a little more front extension, but overall she was the best mover in the class. She beat 2 on her hind movement as in everything else they were well matched. Her handler needs to pay attention to his handling technique by not overstretching her.

2nd Jones’ Aphrael Caoilinn of Chelynnah.

3rd Waltons’ Copsebury War Of The Roses

Open (12,5a)

1st Shepherds’ Buebezi Cahoots With Oxana. I bet by this time the exhibitors thought that it might yet be another fawn going to be the winner. Not in this class. This brindle young man had all the qualities I admire. He is well balanced with lovely shoulders, allowing him to extend his front legs in the free easy action which is required by the standard. Additionally, he has lovely pasterns, lovely body shape with his chest extending right to the top of the elbow. His hind quarters are well muscled enabling him to move with drive. No doubt the best mover of the day coping well with the humid conditions whereas his competitors didn’t. No hesitation for BOB going on to win the hound group.

2nd Meads’ Jasbri The Love Bug

3rd Westropps’ Ruffdale Raffia

Must be getting the hang of this copying and pasting stuff at long last.

Thank you for that Jan. It was lovely going under you again :D And so QUICK at getting your critiques done! I know we all appreciate seeing critiques as soon as possible, and it's VERY nice of you to share them on here.

I'm glad you had a good day - shame it was so humid in the hall. It isn't normally. It was a very strange day for weather overall actually.

Thank you again!

Wendy

No probs Wendy, I find it's better done straight away as things are still fresh in your mind (I think I've got one!) and with my work schedule recently I've hardly been at home, so once it's done and sent off, then I can relax and forget about it.

As for the humidity, I'm so glad I had on a very light summer outfit otherwise I would have had pools of water left behind every time I moved. As it was I had to nick Pedros' hanky to keep my face dry. Good job I'd made sure he had a clean one (hanky that is).

Wow Jan that was quick! :D I agree with Wendys sentiments - much appreciated

Congrats to Sarah & Sid - what a FANTASTIC RESULT!! :cheers:

The size of the ring, noise and the warm weather definitely resulted in many of the whippets looking pretty miserable all round - there weren't many wagging tails!

But fantastic that both whippys went on and did so well in the groups - well done to all placed!

Sid and I had a great day today

Thanks Jan for BOB and for the lovely critique , i was really pleased that you liked him as he certainly behaved himself better in the ring than he did outside , it was all those lovely girls :wub:

Finishing off with Group1 just made our day :)

Thanks to Jo and Tina for your kind words :))

Sarah & the peppermint hound

Sorry Tracy , forgot to say

WELL DONE JAKE

for winning Special Yearling today :cheers:

Wow Jan, that was amazingly fast. As others have said, thank you very much it's so nice to see the critique so quickly, especially when you feature :thumbsup:

It was a lovely day though, and nice show that I would return to. Well done Ami and Sid for their achievements, as well as everyone else that got placed :cheers:

I can only say that your comments regarding Jacob were lovely Jan, thank you very much. You were right about him being grumpy/lethargic in the Challenge though :b

How lovely for YOU that your BOB and BP went on to win their groups :D

Thank you

Tracy

p.s. Really feel wierd writing this, but do you think that we could change "Star of the North" to "Just Silver Steel" for the paper, as Star of the North is my broken footed, stapled up, NFC Oliver Winx :- " :b (w00t) Sorry.............................

oxana said:
WELL DONE JAKE 

for winning Special Yearling today  :cheers:

Thanks Sarah :cheers:

I know his lordship's head was quite big by the time that I left, but am suprised you managed to fit him in the car on the way home after the group (w00t) :wub:

CONGRATULATIONS Sarah & Sid, Debbie & Ami!! What a day!

Well done too Jacob (& Ollie for getting his name on the critique!)

:cheers: Well done K9ers :cheers:

Don't know if you have noticed Jan, but of the 12 dogs in your write up 9 belong to K9ers :thumbsup:

Thank you for my 2nd in puppy with Sophie :thumbsup:

And yes ! Well done Sarah and Sid LOL

Its going to take her weeks to come down from this one (w00t)

Well done Sarah and Sid and all you other K9ers that did well. :cheers:

Im like you Jan I like to get my write up done really quick while its still a picture in my head.

I think it will take me much longer to come down back to earth than Sarah. (Well done Sarah, Sid looked lovely)

I was literally over the moon with Amie's win in the puppy class and then to win the group puppy was amazing!!!!

As it is Amies birthday today, yesterday was her last puppy class. What a way to go out!!!! :D :D :D

Thank you Jan, for getting your critique up so quickly. I don't know how you found the time or the energy. I know I was exhausted after all the heat and humidity.

A great day!

Debbie

TC said:
oxana said:
WELL DONE JAKE  

for winning Special Yearling today  :cheers:

Thanks Sarah :cheers:

I know his lordship's head was quite big by the time that I left, but am suprised you managed to fit him in the car on the way home after the group (w00t) :wub:

Thanks TC , Sid WAS full of himself when he won the Group but he was soon brought back down to earth as he thought he deserved a quick "bonk" with his Sister :blink: she thought otherwise and bit his head off (w00t)

Thanks again for donating the lead and collar for the BOB it fits him beautifully :D

S

Debbie Reed said:
I think it will take me much longer to come down back to earth than Sarah. (Well done Sarah, Sid looked lovely)I was literally over the moon with Amie's win in the puppy class and then to win the group puppy was amazing!!!!

As it is Amies birthday today, yesterday was her last puppy class. What a way to go out!!!! :D   :D   :D

Thank you Jan, for getting your critique up so quickly. I don't know how you found the time or the energy. I know I was exhausted after all the heat and humidity.

A great day!

Debbie

A BIG Happy Birthday to Amie :cheers: what a Day Yesterday !....Amie didn`t put a foot wrong she`s certainly on a roll :thumbsup:

Sarah

Millie said:
:cheers:   Well done K9ers  :cheers:
Don't know if you have noticed Jan, but of the 12 dogs in your write up 9 belong to K9ers  :thumbsup:

Thank you for my 2nd in puppy with Sophie  :thumbsup:

And yes ! Well done Sarah and Sid LOL

Its going to take her weeks to come down from this one  (w00t)

9 out of 12 K9`ers placed!! well done to everybody :)

Millie ,its not going to take weeks for me to come down from this ...........I`m pretty sure You and Dessie will soon slap me back down to earth (w00t) :- "

Well done all you K9ers esp Oxana and Debbie Reed for such a successful day! :cheers:

:lol: What can I say? Except that obviously K9'ers have the best Whippets!

Sorry TC for getting your dogs's name wrong. I relied on the catalogue which the steward filled in, whereas I should have consulted my own judging book.

As for getting the critique done, thanks to no. 1 (well only) hubby. Cos he did all the driving and I announced that I was going straight to my office to do my write up when I got home just as we were coming off the M1. And bless him he knows better than to argue.

Mind you, we came a different way back which was quicker than the one we went and he was jawing at me because it was quicker, but it was nowhere near as pretty.

If anyone judges down at Poole/Bournemouth stay at the Smugglers Cottage on Wimbourne Road. It's fantastic and you can picture the smugglers dividing up the spoils as the cottage has retained it's original features. Good breakfast too and only a mile away from the Ferndown Leisure Centre.

No problem Jan, just thought that I had better point it out :b

Glad you had a nice breakfast :thumbsup:

Once again, thank you so much for putting it on so quickly. :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back