The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Toddy

eve

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Toddy has had Colitis for the last three weeks. I am heartily sick of cooking boiled rice and turkey and neither of us are happy about the frequent vet visits.

It would appear that when the hormones get raging in young male dogs, it can trigger the prostrate gland to become inflamed. This makes urinating and defacating extremeny painful with lots of tiny poos and can cause inflamation and ulceration of the bowel. My poor we fellow!

He is now on two types of antibiotics and Hills I/D as the condition flared up as soon as I introduced James Wellbeloved fish and the last lot of antibiotics finished.

To add further to his woes, he is being left at home with the girls and our friend who is dog and house sitting while we go on holiday. All I really want to do is stay at home and be sure that he is OK. Fortunately, his 'carer' is very experienced with dogs.

Apparently, neutering cures this problem as the testesterone hormones that effect the prostrate it are removed. I was totally unaware of young dogs suffering from this. The webistes that list the pros and cons of neutering fail to mention that many un neutered male dogs have prostrate problems. In its mild form, many owners just think their dog is a bit constapated. Poor Toddy has something else to look forward to as soon as he is better! :( I was going to have him 'done' anyway but it looks like it will be sooner rather than later.

P103000Todd___Comp.jpg

poor Toddy, get well soon gorgeous boy :luck:

Eskil a few months ago had a colitis flare up, it's so distressing :( the hills i/d did help to settle his tummy. are you also using the pro biotic paste? I find it very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Toddy , hope he gets well soon :b

( hope you have a nice holiday too )

Aww, be well Toddy. There are so many pro's and con's in the neutering debate, how horrible for Toddy and you that you're experiencing one of them 'up close and personal'. Hope he's soon on the mend and that you have a good holiday.

Annie

PS Have you thought of trying Nature Diet rather than Hills l/d ... not so different in the low fat versions and cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies

Yes, the paste and a dose of Drontal was the first visit. Antibiotics and a diet of boiled rice and turkey for visit two, As soon as the antibiotic course finished it all flared up again. The Hills and a futher combination of antibiotics is a temp measure till things settle down. As soon as he is better, he will be castrated. I had wanted to wait until he was 18 months old to let him full mature, but I do not want to take the chance that he should go through all this again.

Unfortunately, the Prostate flare up is caused by his male hormones (he is 1 year old) and the paste may help but it does not stop the enlarged prostrate partially blocking his large intestine, straining to pass faeces then creates the ulceration and inflamation. The vet is hopeful that once things settle down, a normal JWB or similar diet will be fine.

He seems much better today on his diet of antibiotics and Hils I/D. My poor dog sitter has a double sided list of care instructions.

HI ONE OF MY DOGS HAS COLITIS I FEED JAMES WELLBELOVED FISH AND RICE LITE AND NATURES DIET LITE AND TOUCH WOOD HAVENT HAD A BOUT SINCE GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BOY X

Poor Toddy and he's such a handsome boy :( . Hope he's better soon. Know what you mean about going on hols. We're going to France for a friend's wedding only for a few days. Gracie's going to Rachel and Jo so she'll be fine but my other two, who were going to a friends, now have to go into kennels and I'm having kittens. Can't sleep, dreading going away and have written a list of instructions for the kennel. Haven't gone and can't wait to get back :eek: :wacko: Try and enjoy your hol.

I would not feel so bad if Toddy was well.

At least you are only away for a few days!

Have a great time

eve

We so often see prostate problems in the older unneutered dogs we take into Oldies Club, sadly sometimes prostate and/or testicular cancer too. Much better imo to have dogs neutered while they are still young enough to sail through the op rather than when they are older and already have problems :(

Really hope Toddy is feeling better soon :luck:

Poor Toddy, I hope he is feeling lots better soon :huggles:

Thank you from Toddy for all your best wishes. :) :) :)

Now back from holidays and all the dogs are well. Lilly is still not speaking to me however. (she has always been a little madam :p )

Toddy seems much better from his Colitis but his bowel movements are still not 100% right. He is now muzzled on walks to stop him eating rubbish etc. Fortunately, he seems quite happy with the muzzle on (most of the time). I have a great vet who is keeping an eye on things. His prostrate is still not quite normal and he is scheduled to be castrated (horrible word) next week although I may wait a bit longer if I am not happy with his condition. He is still on the Hills I/D for the time being and is digesting this fine.

Thanks again for all your best wishes

eve

Glad to hear he is a little better . :)

Hope your holiday went well too and you were not worrying too much .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back