The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Wee Ruby...

julie_s

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Poor Ruby damaged her stopper pad last night chasing her 'nemesis' bunny with my OH. As it was still bleeding this morning I thought it might need a stitch. I'm so squeamish in my old age I managed to give it a wash and bandage it but hadn't really looked to closely at it and when the vet had a look she said the pad was nearly off :x . It was so damaged she would have to stitch it under a general anaesthetic, so that was worrying in itself. They said to call back at two so when the phone went at 12.45 I feared the worst... to my great relief they had managed to squeeze her in early and she was ready to go home :sweating: .

She was very groggy but she's just up out of bed and is looking much brighter thank goodness, she's having the 'nemesis' for tea :- " .

So the long and the short of the tale is they had to remove the pad entirely as the vet said it would never have healed properly so has anyone any experience of a dog with this injury and how long should I expect it to take to heal?

Oh and if she's missing a stopper pad does that mean she'll do handbrake turns at the finish of races :blink: (sorry bad joke!)... seriously will I need to wrap the area if she's racing again?

thanks,

Julie

:( Oh poor little girl - hope it heals up nice and quickly for her :thumbsup:

It sounds awful but I don't have any experience of this type of injury so it will be interesting to see what the prognosis is :)

Give Ruby lots of :huggles: from us :thumbsup:

Oh poor Ruby, I hope she has got a pretty pink bandage :) , but what a great story for her to tell all her pals, the courageous, fearless rabbit hunter ;) , and as for the handbreak turn gag - that really made me laugh :p , Toby sends big licks to his wee pal, and we all wish her a speedy recovery :luck:

buffyrannoch said:
Oh poor Ruby, I hope she has got a pretty pink bandage  :)
:- " Well I guess you must have known Robyn would have had a hand in bandage selection (w00t) ! lime green and shocking pink a classic 80s combo :thumbsup: ! She looks pretty sorry for herself in this photo as she's a bit wet she's just been out leaping about in the snow like a daftie.

rubybandage.jpg

ohh poor thing, hope she's ok :huggles:

awwwwwww pore thing hope she is better soon sending :huggles:

Gosh, poor Ruby :( :wub:

:luck: for a speedy recovery. I have never heard of losing a stopper pad completely :eek: but obviously it is possible. I am just wondering how the Vet managed to close the wound because there is not much 'spare' skin :- " on the leg. I think pics when the bandage comes off are a must!! :D :thumbsup:

dessie said:
Gosh, poor Ruby  :(   :wub:
:luck:   for a speedy recovery.  I have never heard of losing a stopper pad completely  :eek: but obviously it is possible.  I am just wondering how the Vet managed to close the wound because there is not much 'spare' skin  :- " on the leg.  I think pics when the bandage comes off are a must!!  :D   :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the good luck :thumbsup: .

Yes you're right about the little spare skin in that area.. the vet said it might pop open :x . We're back tomorrow for a check-up so we'll see what's what then, maybe she'll get a whole pink bandage this time :) .

Oh and can anyone tell me will we still be able to take her to show's if she's missing a pad?

julie_s said:
Oh and can anyone tell me will we still be able to take her to show's if she's missing a pad?
Don't see any reason why not! It will only be an injury scar like any other, as a judge I certainly wouldn't take any notice (might ask what happened but that's all!)

Poor Ruby Keano sends her kisses :huggles: :wub: . As long as Ruby movement isnt effective then it shouldnt be a problem!

Hope to see you next week at Bon Accord! :thumbsup:

poor ruby!love the lime green and pink bandage though.its quite chic isnt it? :thumbsup:

Awww, poor Ruby, I hope she is feeling better soon :huggles:

Awww poor baby..... hope she gets better soon see you at Bon Accord. :thumbsup:

Marie.

euwwgh that sounds verypainful, but at least she still enjoyed the snow, hope she's better soon :luck: :luck:

julie_s said:
dessie said:
:luck:   for a speedy recovery.  I have never heard of losing a stopper pad completely  :eek: but obviously it is possible.  I am just wondering how the Vet managed to close the wound because there is not much 'spare' skin  :- " on the leg.  I think pics when the bandage comes off are a must!!  :D   :thumbsup:

Yes you're right about the little spare skin in that area.. the vet said it might pop open :x . We're back tomorrow for a check-up so we'll see what's what then, maybe she'll get a whole pink bandage this time :) .

You may need to apply for permission to show her to the Kennel Club as she'ss have had an op that changes her

Hope it all heals up first time round Bless her pink annd green sock! ;)

meddling said:
julie_s said:
dessie said:

You may need to apply for permission to show her to the Kennel Club as she'ss have had an op that changes herHope it all heals up first time round Bless her pink annd green sock! ;)

Don't even go there!! That is for things like hernias, entropian, spaying etc that would affect breeding/hereditary problems .............. this is an INJURY!!!

Poooor Ruby!!!! :( :huggles:

Zoomie WOULD send you lots of kisses but Lottie's busy being in season just now and he's transporting all his kisses through two doors and three walls to her just now and the effort is exhausting him :sweating: He's all-of-a-tremble!

He's hoping to regain his strength for Bon Accord (he may still be all-of-a-faint at the sight of a lady but we're hoping he'll regain a little self-control by then...) hope to see you there.. :teehee:

dessie said:
Don't even go there!!  That is for things like hernias, entropian, spaying etc that would affect breeding/hereditary problems .............. this is an INJURY!!!
Phew, thanks.

We went to the vet today and it's healing nicely... didn't get to take your photo tho' :blink: :lol: vet might have thought I was a bit odd esp after he saw me all teary :oops: the other day when the said she had to have a general. As and aside he was assuring me that the human GA they use in the practice has very little side effects as it clears the system so quickly.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back