The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poorly Pad/toe

~Helen~

Warrior Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Josie has been limping slightly this morning, and reluctant to put her right front paw on the ground. However, she trotted about happily on the Common, so I thought she was okay. But since we've been home she's been holding it awkwardly. She let me have a look, and there's nothing to see at all, but I've isolated the pad/toe that hurts (she yelps if I press it firmly). It's possible that there is a slight swolleness to the toe compared to the other, but it's more of a thicker texture rather than identifiable swelling.

She's asleep now, but I'm wondering if I need to see the vet, or just rest it?

What do people think?

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

PS I've got some arnica upstairs, and lavendar oil. I think I'll dose her with those while I decide what to do :(

Helen,it sounds very similar to Flyn's toe which he knocked a few months ago.

I took him to the vets & was told he has a "knocked up toe" which is a common occurence in whippets/greyhounds.He said there's not a lot you can do other than rest it. I gave Flyn Rimadyl for a few days to hep reduce the swelling.

Is her poorly toe one of the 2 middle ones on a front paw?

Flyn now has a permanent bone swelling on the inside of the toe which doesn't bother him, but i have to keep an eye on the skin between the 2 toes, as when he's been running,the knuckles rub together & can cause blistering.I just dust it with powder at night & it's fine again in the morning!

Hope this makes sense :blink:

~Helen~ said:
Josie has been limping slightly this morning, and reluctant to put her right front paw on the ground. However, she trotted about happily on the Common, so I thought she was okay. But since we've been home she's been holding it awkwardly. She let me have a look, and there's nothing to see at all, but I've isolated the pad/toe that hurts (she yelps if I press it firmly). It's possible that there is a slight swolleness to the toe compared to the other, but it's more of a thicker texture rather than identifiable swelling.
She's asleep now, but I'm wondering if I need to see the vet, or just rest it?

What do people think?

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

PS I've got some arnica upstairs, and lavendar oil. I think I'll dose her with those while I decide what to do :(

Sorry to hear Josie had a poorly toe Helen, I had a similar thing the other week with Spry but she was crying like a baby too(which she is I suppose)trying to bite me when I touched it and wouldn't walk on it, anyway I got straight on the phone to Mark in a panic, he calmed me down and told me to check the nail beds ects and to ring the vet if I was still worried so I did and booked an appointment for that afternoon rang my brother in law to pick Jordan up from school and 10 minutes later she was charging round the house back to normal :devil: so I cancelled

Personally I think it was a sting of some sort I put some Aloe Vera on it but once she got back to normal I could squeeze it or anything :wacko:

Hope it's the same with Josie and she recovers quickly :luck:

Oh thanks both of you.

She's hobbling around now, very sad-looking face. Not sure what to do... I think I'll ring and see if I can at least book an appointment for later and then I can always cancel if she seems better.

Debs, yes it is the front, what would be a forefinger on a human :(

No,it's the next one.

I forgot that poor Murph also has one,but his is an outside toe.

If this is the problem with Josie's toe,it's a good idea to keep the nail on that toe trimmed back a bit more than the others as this helps to protect it :thumbsup:

hope she feels better soon :wub: :huggles:

Poor Josie! Must've been rough play with that little sister of hers ...

Rest is probably the best thing, and avoid rough ground underfoot. If she seems really painful you might be better getting her looked at just so she can get some pain relief, and if it continues to swell get her seen anyway. If you think there might be a wound or infection of any sort, soak her whole paw in warm salty water.

Hope she's feeling better soon :(

Ah well, the vet wanted to see her just to check it wasn't anything serious... but she wasn't having any examination without a jolly good yelp. So she's been sedated and examined and x-rayed - and there's nothing wrong that they can see :- " So the diagnosis is perhaps just some bruising. She's had analgesics which will last 48 hours. And while she was sedated they also clipped her toenails because despite me doing them, they still needed doing :lol: I knew I was being too careful!

Anyway, she's back home now with a gorgeous pale-purple bandage on just to support the foot (and to make her feel special :wub: how sweet)

... trouble is, Lola thinks it's a toy and keeps trying to "steal" Josie's bandaged foot :lol:

300905_bad_foot.jpg

Awww Josie and Lola :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

I have both mine in bandages.......Fynn has skinned a pad raw, so has Sudocrem and bandage, and Archie has a disloacated front toe. I am sure the vet must think I have Munchausens by proxy..........I am just wiating for Lizzie to get a poorly baddie too. Perhaps a thistle or thorn has penetrated her pad. Keep an eye :huggles:

Awww poor josie :( They look so sweet in that pic :wub: Lola looks as if she's giving plenty of sympathy :huggles:

Ah well, the vet wanted to see her just to check it wasn't anything serious... but she wasn't having any examination without a jolly good yelp. So she's been sedated and examined and x-rayed - and there's nothing wrong that they can see :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Dont you just love vets !!!!!!! :rant: Sorry ILKC , but Helen has really been taken for a ride .

Why couldnt they advice 10-14 days rest first , oh no , Lets SEDATE !! and Xray £££££££, Sorry you lot , but they (vets) do think we print our own money dont they .

Mollee has recently had to be sedated and because shes over 8years they want ed to do blood tests for kidney / liver problems ( which she dosnt have ) , the cost £30+ (w00t) I refused , shes a young , healthy whippet .Just because they now have the equipment to do these tests on the spot (Many years ago they would have had to send them away , so didnt do them :- " ) they think we owners can stump up the money for all their new equpiment Well NOT ME !!. Should I deem it nescessary than I will spend ALL my money on my dogs , but not for thing s that I dont think are , they can whisltle :eek:

Helen , hope Josie is ok :luck:

Sorry for stealing your thread , but Vets really do take the p**s at times

awwww,love that piccy of them cuddled up in their bed :wub: :)

JAX said:
Ah well, the vet wanted to see her just to check it wasn't anything serious... but she wasn't having any examination without a jolly good yelp. So she's been sedated and examined and x-rayed - and there's nothing wrong that they can see :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:

Dont you just love vets !!!!!!! :rant: Sorry ILKC , but Helen has really been taken for a ride .

Why couldnt they advice 10-14 days rest first , oh no , Lets SEDATE !! and Xray £££££££, Sorry you lot , but they (vets) do think we print our own money dont they .

Mollee has recently had to be sedated and because shes over 8years they want ed to do blood tests for kidney / liver problems ( which she dosnt have ) , the cost £30+  (w00t)   I refused , shes a young , healthy whippet  .Just because they now have the equipment to do these tests on the spot (Many years ago they would have had to send them away , so didnt do them  :- " ) they think we owners can stump up the money for all their new equpiment  Well NOT ME !!. Should I deem it nescessary than I will spend ALL my money on my dogs , but not for thing s that I dont think are , they can whisltle  :eek:

Helen , hope Josie is ok  :luck:

Sorry for stealing your thread , but Vets really do take the p**s at times

I don't mind - you aren't really stealing my thread :huggles:

I see exactly what you're saying, and I do have a bit of "what if I wasn't insured... this would have been expensive...." thought in the back of my mind. But I chose to take her there, and if they'd just told me to go away and it was something serious, then they'd have been negligent :unsure: and I would have been creating merry hell asking why they hadn't checked her out more thoroughly.

JAX said:
Helen has really been taken for a ride .
Personally I think you're being a little rude towards Helen. She has some medical training of her own, we all know she's a sensible and level-headed owner, and more than able to stand her ground if she feels necessary. Unfortunately you haven't had the benefit of examining the injury, and so aren't really qualified to comment. A professional has, however, had that opportunity and Helen has taken their advice. That you should attack a fellow poster for seeking veterinary attention for an injured dog is a bit bad, I feel. And 10-14 days is long enough for an unstabilised fracture to start developing a lovely non-union. :))

Helen - delighted to hear they selected an appropriate shade of Vetrap! :D

Helen - delighted to hear they selected an appropriate shade of Vetrap!
omg, you'd have laughed if you'd seen us walking down the road on the way home :b because it matched my waterproof coat exactly and I looked like some idiot that had asked the vet to colour-coordinate us for posing purposes :wacko: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
omg, you'd have laughed if you'd seen us walking down the road on the way home  because it matched my waterproof coat exactly and I looked like some idiot that had asked the vet to colour-coordinate us for posing purposes

That did make me laugh :lol: :teehee: .......Glad Josie's not broken and wish her a speedy recovery :huggles: :luck:

Fynn has skinned a pad raw, so has Sudocrem and bandage, and Archie has a disloacated front toe. I am sure the vet must think I have Munchausens by proxy.

Aww poor boy's .......... Cut and heal work's great on skinned pads .......and get Archie some bone radial for his toe and paint it on once aday for 3 day's ........ then 3 days off, 3 days on etc ......it stinks but works wonders :thumbsup: .......also massage and slightly flex the toe a couple of times aday ......it helps to stop the ligament thickening :luck:

ILoveKettleChips said:
JAX said:
Helen has really been taken for a ride .
Personally I think you're being a little rude towards Helen. She has some medical training of her own, we all know she's a sensible and level-headed owner, and more than able to stand her ground if she feels necessary. Unfortunately you haven't had the benefit of examining the injury, and so aren't really qualified to comment. A professional has, however, had that opportunity and Helen has taken their advice. That you should attack a fellow poster for seeking veterinary attention for an injured dog is a bit bad, I feel. And 10-14 days is long enough for an unstabilised fracture to start developing a lovely non-union. :))

Helen - delighted to hear they selected an appropriate shade of Vetrap! :D

That you should attack a fellow poster

Attack a fellow poster ! where did you read that :eek: . What I was attacking was the vet who straight away decided to take her money ( good job shes insured , but not EVERYONE is you know :rant: ) Nor was I rude to her :angry: Helen has taken no offence whatso ever about my post :huggles:

VETS :rant:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back