The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Post Op Problems

da.fildes

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sophia, my suluky X has just had a lump removed from the under side of her chest, but the operation site has filled up with fluid to more than twice the size. I understand that these lumps common, as the dog often catches its underside while running. The vet says it may take 6weeks plus for ithe fluid to go down and for her to resume her normal level of excersise. Has any one had a similar thing happen to their dogs? Has any one got a home or herbel remedy that might help the fluid go down? Would you ask for a second opinion on the dog and how do you go about that, money is no object, as we are abandoning Christmas this year. Anne.

da.fildes said:
Sophia, my suluky X has just had a lump removed from the under side of her chest, but the operation site has filled up with fluid to more than twice the size. I understand that these  lumps common, as the dog often catches its underside while running. The vet says it may take 6weeks plus for ithe fluid to go down and for her to resume her normal level of excersise. Has any one had a similar thing happen to their dogs? Has any one got a home or herbel remedy that might help the fluid go down? Would you ask for a second opinion on the dog and how do you go about that, money is no object, as we are abandoning Christmas this year. Anne.

Hi there, welcome to K9. :thumbsup:

My whippet had a lump removed in March and developed a seroma, which sounds exactly like what your dog has. Our vet had recently been on a course covering what to do with these, as they are more of a nuisance than anything, and vets used to keep draining them just to please the client! :- " It is now realised that they fill up straight away after draining and draining just causes expense to the client and distress to the dog, so the advice is just to leave well alone and it will clear up, usually within a month. Zephyr's one was gone after 3 weeks.

Best of luck! :luck: :luck:

My bitch , Rosie developed a seroma after she was spayed and the vet said it was caused by the fact that she was far too active after the op .....................try as I might to stop her, she was manic the day after and raced off after a rabbit in the garden. The vets told me they could drain it if I wanted , but also that it would go by itself. I left well alone and after 2 weeks you would never have known she had had it.

:luck: Good luck with Sophia and let us know what happens.

Nana developed one after being stitched back together after a fall. The vet drained which was very painful for Nana (and for the vet- Nana gave her a good scratch :- " ) and it filled up again very quickly. It went down again over a week.

Hello, Thanks for the postings. They were so reassuring.It looks impossible for it to go down, so its good to know that I am are doing the best thing for the dog by leaving it. From Anne and Sophia.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back