The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pouncing Pup

luvlyjubly77

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Some advice please?

My 9 week old pup Bella is getting naughtier by the day!

She just loves to pounce. But it always ends in a bite. She even growls right down on her haunches and then takes an almighty leap at a part of you. (w00t)

I've tried a melodramatic 'Ouch', a loud 'No', a pinning her down and telling her off close to her little face (with eye contact), time out in the bathroom (where she howls), and of course (trying to) ignore her. She just thinks it's a fab game!! I'm just worried that it'll all get out of hand when she's older and stronger.

Does anyone else have a pouncing pup, and if you do, how do you remedy this unwanted behaviour.

Bella is a whippet cavalier X by the way :wub:

Hi,

Dippy used to do this and it can really hurt when you can a nip :blink:

I put some stones in a small plastic container (with lid) and as soon as she started to misbehave I shook it at her so it made a right noise and said "NO" in a very stern voice...it only took a few attempts doing that and she started to back down...

I used it for other unwanted behaviour too and after a while I only had too pick up the container and she stop what she was doing...

Loads and loads of praise was given at this point cos she had learnt nicer behaviour... :thumbsup:

She can still have her moments but at nearly 15 weeks old she's learning right from wrong...apart from the chewing and then the container gets a dusting off... (w00t)

I find time out doesn't really work and didn't bother with it.

I've tried a melodramatic 'Ouch', a loud 'No', a pinning her down and telling her off close to her little face (with eye contact), time out in the bathroom (where she howls), and of course (trying to) ignore her. She just thinks it's a fab game!! I'm just worried that it'll all get out of hand when she's older and stronger.

I tried all those methods with Daisy when she was a pup including the shaker it didn't take her long to attack the shaker and me so I gave that up.With time out she just wound herself up and came out worse so gave that up. She is now 14 months and lovely she did it by herself and grew out of it so there is always hope

my two boys are near 6 months and are so hard on each other when they play.

i've made a shaker too, and although it's taking some time - Digit is getting the hang of it. I experimented with several combinations - but in the end found a handful of pennies in a metal coleman's mustand tin (with duct tape to stop the ends flying off!) gives just the right level of loudness (ie, VERY!) to get Dij to take notice....and fits in my coat pocket

I'm trying to stop him barking at other dogs - and the effect seems to be that i'm creating a programme in his mind that goes like this;

Ooooo, dog - best bark at it

Shakey rattly tin noise

Oooo-er, best shut up and run back to mum coz -

She'll give me a yummy treat out of her special magic pocket!

He's not yet made the connection to NOT DO THE BARKING THING in the first place - but coming back for treats and cuddles for being such a good boy is a real good start in my books

I am sure the method will adapt nicely for pouncing behaviour too :thumbsup: keep at it

It doesn't take them long to learn once you start with the shaker...I've used it quite alot with Dippy...its better than shouting at them and using time out cos it just doesn't work.

Keep up with it and it'll pay off :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back