The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pre/probiotics

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Jasper has an intermittently runny bum. I suspect it's to do with the hot weather, but it's just possible that it came on gradually after I gave him a worm treatment a few weeks ago, and I was thinking of trying him on a pre/probiotic in case that upset the balance in his gut (he's otherwise fine so I don't think he's picked up a bug).

Recommendations please?

I either use goats natural youghurt or slippery elm powder....
All 3 of my lurchers have loose poos in the hot weather

Jasper has an intermittently runny bum. I suspect it's to do with the hot weather, but it's just possible that it came on gradually after I gave him a worm treatment a few weeks ago, and I was thinking of trying him on a pre/probiotic in case that upset the balance in his gut (he's otherwise fine so I don't think he's picked up a bug).

Recommendations please?
Pro-Kolin is one product that I find is really good 'gut balancer'. I've got it in 'stock' all the time and any hint of one of mine being 'under weather', the tube is out for a 'shot'. Mine really like the stuff and are keen for it even if there is no particular need for it.

Thanks both :)

Tinytom, if yours do this too, I'm not going to worry. I've read a few theories about why this might happen, but none ring true - he doesn't seem to drink more dodgy water in hot weather, because he's out less often and doesn't run around so much. I think I'll get him some goat yoghurt though - he'll love it, regardless!

Green tripe is a good source of pro biotic I think?

.GREEN BEEF TRIPE.
Raw green tripe offers beneficial bacteria and enzymes. It has a desirable Calcium; phosphorus ratio of 1.1
Green tripe's pH is acidic, the protein is 15.1 and the fat is 11.7%. It also has the correct proportions of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.One of the best constituents of raw green tripe is lactobacillus acidophilus.
This is one of the intestinal bacteria that keep unwanted bacteria such as e-coli salmonella, and listeria from overpopulating and causing health problems.
A balance of micro flora in the gut is extremely important to maintaining good health. These pro biotics help keep the animals immune system in top shape.
It contains the following vitamins and minerals along with other naturally occurring goodness.
Vitamin E, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Vitamin B12. Pantothenic, Acid, Choline, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium.

Last edited:
The first day the temperature dropped, he started doing solid poos again :D But he's been looking a little scrawny recently so I've got him some green tripe anyway and giving him some each day on top of his normal food. I really wish I could get him weighed - we often used to pop into the vet for a weigh and a chat with the receptionist.

Judy, get yourself on the scales, right it down then pick your dog up and put yourself back on scales and work it out , i did it once with a American bulldog, and I’m telling you that was a job hehe

Judy, get yourself on the scales

You're joking, right? :eek: He's around 35kg and I'm 48kg with the strength of a sick sparrow! Plus... he's not a great fan of being manhandled, and as for being picked up... Imagine doing battle with a furious, well-armed set of bagpipes...:D

The American bulldog American mastiff was over 8 stone haha all I did was lift him with me on scales, boom job done ,

Scales won't tell anything useful. It's what you feel when stroking him. It's fun feeding them up again, especially those dogs which are a struggle to keep slender (not Jas, I would have thought).

I did laugh at the bagpipes!

Lurcherman, I bet that made your truss creak.

Hemlock looking back it was funny hahaha I couldn’t do it now haha

Scales won't tell anything useful.

I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is loss of muscle tone and less perfect, flowing gait, so what did look lean and athletic now looks more scrawny and clapped-out just because of ageing. But he's certainly not an unhealthy weight. I just like quantifying things, really!

I do homemade kefir with my dogs every day. I slowly worked up to 2 tablespoons per dog. They act like its ice cream - each bowl is licked clean

You're joking, right? :eek: He's around 35kg and I'm 48kg with the strength of a sick sparrow! Plus... he's not a great fan of being manhandled, and as for being picked up... Imagine doing battle with a furious, well-armed set of bagpipes...:D

You said it - “......set of bagpipes”. I’ve always likened our whippets them.

sorry - “.....likened our whippets to them”.

pumpkin puree is good for my boy's tummies when their poo is soft, or pro kolin advanced I swear by it. Hope Jasper is feeling better

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back