The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Protein %age

Diesel's Dad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
so, I now understand what new mums mean by ‘baby brain’. I have puppy brain and despite having a maths degree can’t figure this one out...

Most diet info I’ve seen recommends 25% to 30% protein for large breed puppies. All the high quality kibble I’ve seen echoes this advice.

However diesel eats raw prepared food (Amongst other things! ) I’m using Natural Instinct puppy which says it’s only 15% looking at other prepared food they seem similar. I do notice the feeding quantity of kibble is much lower but does that account for the difference?

His weight gain is fine but don’t want to find out down the road that I’m malnourishing him!

Thanks,

DD

Raw or wet food will have a lower percentage of protein (and pretty much everything else) as the water content is so high. If you dehydrated it, the protein % would probably be a lot higher than kibbles, but as I understand it, it's the quality of protein that is important so a raw fed dog won't go loopy in the way it's reputed a dog can if fed on high-protein kibble. If he is loopy, that's just because he's made that way!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back