The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pug puppy with older pug boy

buchananandy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there,
It's been a while since I posted and I'm looking for some more helpful advice if possible.

We have recently picked up a new pug puppy (Charlie) to add to our pack during lockdown.

So far so good on a lot of fronts, training, sleeping, eating all fine.

Unfortunately Charlie is really bothering our older pug cross, Manny, who is 5 years old.

Charlie is clearly just being a puppy and wanting to play, but he's totally relentless and won't leave Manny alone when they're together. He jumps in his face, nips at this neck, legs and butt and constantly tries to wrestle him.

Manny for the most part just runs away in the house, gets to higher ground on a sofa or upstairs and won't engage with him at all. We've tried sitting them together with us in the evening when they're tired out but it doesn't seem to help. As Charlie can now go on walks we've had them together in the park with the little one on a lead and Manny off - Charlie will still chase constantly while Manny just ignores him or hops out of range.

Manny isn't aggressive towards him, he won't snap at him or tell him off so he learns his place, which I think is part of the problem.
I know this post is a little lengthy now but any suggestions please?

Thank you!

You need to step in and protect Manny from Charlie, so Manny doesn't have to sort it out himself - if he's been really patient for ages he might suddenly EXPLODE!!

When Charlie is being a pest, simply remove him from the room, pop him behind a stairgate or whatever, and give him a short timeout. Let him back, if he goes straight back to Manny, put him in timeout again... as many times as it takes for Charlie realises that bugging Manny results in no fun.

If you're lucky, if you observe closely, you'll see Manny looking to you to 'rescue' him. If so, immediately remove Charlie - it's great if Manny knows he can rely on you so that he doesn't have to take matters into his own hands.

Thanks for the reply Judy.
I'm not sure how we will implement this at home as the boys are being kept mostly separated at the moment unless under strict supervision on walks and in the evening (Charlie had a bad fall in week 2 and has needed to be kept calm and resting as much as possible due to a swollen elbow).

We could potentially keep up the routine and return him to his playpen any time he bothers Manny, however Manny seems to have no desire to be near him at all and just runs away.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back