The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppies

mazza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondered why it is that all puppies have worms when they are born. :unsure:

I'm no expert, but I was reading a site the other day about worms as my pup has them. This site said that if puppys are born with them then it's because the mother has had them and it's been passed onto them, plus it can be passed through her milk. Apparently a mother and her pups can produce so many hundreds of paracites leading to worms in just a few days.

Unfortunatly though I can't remember the name of that particular site. I just looked through www.ask.co.uk and looked up worms in puppies.

Hope this has helped a little

Take Carexx

Jammie

I think that the worm larvae rest in the bitches muscles and lie dormant. When she is in whelp they move across the placenta into the unborn pups. They then cross infect thru the milk and when the bitch cleans the pups. That is why you start worming at 2 weeks. ILKC, am I barking up the wrong tree? (w00t)

As far as I know all dogs, cats, horses etc have worms and should be treated on a regular basis throughout their lives with the relevant vermifuge!!!!

Worms lay dormant in the bitches system. It is the hormones of pregnancy that gets them active again. :thumbsup:

yes its perfectly normal for pups to be born with worms, so thats why they are wormed at 2, 5, and 8 wks old. Then after that they should be wormed once a month till they are 6 months old. It is not a huge concern, only if the pups are left without treatment, then the worms can eventually take over and literally clog up the little pup! Worming is essential in the first few months- quite an event if you have 10 little ones to treat! :blink:

Juley said:
I think that the worm larvae rest in the bitches muscles and lie dormant. When she is in whelp they move across the placenta into the unborn pups. They then cross infect thru the milk and when the bitch cleans the pups. That is why you start worming at 2 weeks. ILKC, am I barking up the wrong tree? (w00t)
Bang on the money! SOme breeders worm the bitch with panacur for much of the pregnancy. All suckling pups need worming!

worms do seem to lie dormant for a while. our vet told us our best bet was to worm her right before mating, after whelping then every couple of weeks with the puppies, as worming just the bitch is pointless, as for the 1st few weeks she'll be eating their droppings :x to clean up after them, which reinfects her :x

:x this is a horrible but neccessary topic, but I didn't know you had to worm your dog every month, thought it was 2-3 months, can't you do it too much ?

Julie D said:
:x   this is a horrible but neccessary topic, but I didn't know you had to worm your dog every month, thought it was 2-3 months, can't you do it too much ?

Read the reply properly!!!

Once a month until SIX MONTHS thereafter on a regular basis (4 times a year is adequate if you use a good wormer) for the rest of their lives!

Bitches can pass immature round and hook worm larvae via the uterus to the puppies during pregnancy. This means that puppies can be born with immature round & hook worm which then develop. There can be adutl round & hook worms in puppies by 2 to 3 weeks of age. Puppies can die form heavy infestations of round and/or hook worms as early as 3 - 4 weeks of age.

We were advised that it would be a idea to worm our bitch prior to mating, usually during the first week of her season because once the bitch is pregnant there is a lowered immunity to worms in general the the bitch can pick up infestations more readily. We were also advised to reworm her at 5 wks & again at 7wks of her pregnancy. This doesn't affect any immature larvae already in the uterus, but it does reduce the burden on your bitch.

Our puppies were wormed at 8days & 15days and will be done weekly until they are around 8wks of age then fortnightly till 4months. JMO but it's better to be ontop of it from the onset :thumbsup:

er, sorry Miss Dessie, thought you had a crystal ball and knew my dog was under 6 mths and I was referring to the bit about once a month until 6 mths.

Must be the thought of worms makes me squirm :x

Im going back 20 years now, we bought an 8 week old puppy. He was a darling :wub: I fed him and then he needed to empty, he passed nothing but a huge pile of live worms :x :x We rushed to our vet with him and the worms in a pot. The vet said it didn't look like the bitch or the puppies had been wormed at all.

We had to leave him at the vets for three days so that the vet could worm him then be ready if it caused a blockage in the pup from all the dead worms. He was a very lucky pup he made it. It took months to clear him properly. All dogs have worms and need worming on a regular basis. Then bingo you never see any ...... Ohhhh I feel :x now

Pups can have worms without you actully seeing any. I follow very strict worming and weighing routine for all my dogs and thought I had it all under control until my second Whippet litter. I did all the things i always do and wormed the pups from age of 2 weeks every week, however i did not see any worms - normally, in the past, there always were some worms in the pups' dropping following the first treatment. The bitch was a very good mum and initially I thought she may have cleaned up too well.

However, i noticed the pups' coats were not as silky and shiny as i am used to, so i used several different products over the next few weeks until i finally got Drontal, the pups (7 weeks old by then) passed worms. So i am sticking with Drontal, until some new product comes on the market.

Lida

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back