The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy biting even after trying advice to stop it

Rose54

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi love my 3 month Max,but no matter how we try he still keeps biting.My grandson who is his biggest fan,is too young to understand that he will stop (soon)and is changing how he is with him,and that is breaking my heart to see that he does not like him as much,because Max is a family dog and I want my grandson to share Max with me.

We have done this ouch and then turning or not giving attention,but sometimes it hurts so much I grap him and put him in the cage.

It's as if he really does not understand it's not acceptable.

Tried to find other methods on this site,but perhaps I'm not looking right,so please Gide me to the right page please,I really want to stop this now.

Thanks.

If you turn and grab him you are giving him just what he is after - attention. Every time you interact with him by saying "no", "stop it" and grabbing him etc you are feeding his habit of biting.

In order for him to stop he must get zero attention when he bites. The "ouch" tells him why he is being ignored, it is not a command to stop biting.

If, after a week of the "ouch" and ignore, with everyone being consistent with him, he is till doing it, then move on to stage 2.

Here you say ouch every single time and immediately leave the room. If the room is full of people then put him outside (I would not use his crate for punishment). Don't say a word if you have to pick him up as it will dilute the "ouch" word and he will not know why he has been isolated.

I would supervise, for now, all interactions with your grandson. Only allow them to be together when they are both calm. If puppy bites then grandson must say "ouch" stand up and be a "statue" until you deal with the puppy.

It will get worse before it gets better. This is called the "extinction burst" and it means that the puppy is about to give up trying to gain attention by biting but gives it one last push to see if they can make everyone pay attention and play biting and talking games!

Any game when the teeth are on toys is fine and should be encouraged. If the teeth slip off the toy and catch the skin it is still "ouch". Try to take the toy with you when you ignore him but do not delay the ignoring to get the toy as this will dilute the effect of the "ouch".

Just one person in the household, who does not follow the "ouch" technique can ruin it. Do not allow anyone to say things like "oh he doesn't mean it" "oh he will grow out of it" or "it was an accident". Biting is not allowed ever!

This exercise, properly learned, can save a dog's life in the future.

Thank you for this advice.I will show everyone this and ask for us all to stand together on doing the same thing.

I agree if we all done the same it would be easier for Max to understand he is doing wrong.lets hope we all stand together as we all love him to bits,and he is really good apart from this one thing.

Good luck ( especially if you have men in the family :) )

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back