The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Biting

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It's a balancing act. On the one hand, you want to use up their energy. On the other hand, they can get overstimulated and overtired, and are really hard to settle then. We used to spend ages on the floor at 'zoomy' time, rolling balls for Jasper... once he learnt what 'settle down on your bed' meant, we did end up saying it quite firmly at times and when he finally did, he flaked out. It's like bringing an overtired toddler home from a wild party where he's been eating crisps and blue Smarties all afternoon - they just don't know when to stop! But it is a phase, so don't worry

You might be able to teach her to relax and calm down more, and whether you crate her or not, you want her to accept that you're not always available. Check out this video:
Just be aware that she still is very young, and like human children, is going to have days when she is a complete PITA!

Yeah I keep saying to myself that’s she’s still a young pup and it’s going to happen as part of her puppy phase. Just at times when she goes mental I almost feel it’s not normal and I’m doing something wrong. I’m gonna start making her sleep more by after play time putting her in her crate for a nap as feel she isn’t sleeping as much as a puppy should. Ill just try different things to see what works and what doesn’t. I’ll check that video also thank you!! I think putting her in her crate and even going up stairs to give her some proper quiet time to sleep will be good. And if she bites during play time just walking away too and repeating this.

Yeah, so it’s puppy kibble in the beef and veg variety. It’s from Tesco Supermarket so their brand called complete, she gets her 3 meals a day and eats all her food.
This could be part of her hyperness ...supermarket kibble is usually very poor quality ...i would look into getting her a much better food ;)

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/278721055

Unfortunately Tesco kibble is a very poor quality food. It is based on mainly cereals/grains and the remainder of ingredients are described as "Derivatives" (whatever that may be !)
What we feed out pets can contribute to our pets behavior, changing to a better quality food such as a grain free product or a raw diet could help tremendously. Please remember that RICE is also a grain:rolleyes:.
I am not saying that this will be an answer to your problem, you have a puppy, and this can be part of perfectly normal behavior.

This could be part of her hyperness ...supermarket kibble is usually very poor quality ...i would look into getting her a much better food ;)

I'm with Tinytom on this. If you look at the ingredients, the first listed are most plentiful. This one has listed - ”Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives (22% including 4% beef in the red kibble*)”. The red kibble is about 30% of the product so your beef content is, I think, less than 1% in total (but my arithmetic is rubbish so happy to be corrected).

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

You will find that some which look more expensive to buy actually work our better value, because you feed less of them.

Step Up to Naturals food is a similar price, Lukulus and Markus Mühle are a little more expensive, but all of these are good quality.

If cost is less of a consideration, there are loads more that are worth considering.

That website looks brilliant! Very useful. Do you have any recommendations on puppy treats? I have just bought some Wagg training treats which my puppy seems to love, but the ingredients don't look great and her stools have started to be a bit sloppy.
Sorry to hijack your thread OP! I was really interested in the advice about biting too as my hands and ankles are getting pretty sore!

That website looks brilliant! Very useful. Do you have any recommendations on puppy treats? I have just bought some Wagg training treats which my puppy seems to love, but the ingredients don't look great and her stools have started to be a bit sloppy.
Sorry to hijack your thread OP! I was really interested in the advice about biting too as my hands and ankles are getting pretty sore!

I know I was the one looking for advice but from trying new methods my puppy Cleo had been much better, still biting when playing but as soon as does it she gets put in he crate for a minuets to calm her down then she’s fine, think it’s all about repetition and consistency. But she’s been much better, and. I think now she can go on walks she’s much more settled. As for treats I use the wag ones and pedigree puppy chews which seem to be good she enjoys them. Think they’re called puppy chewboos!

A lot of commercial puppy chews (and food; ahem - pedigree) are full of additives. Like eating Macdonald food, constantly.

Would you consider making liver cake? If you can't cope with handling raw liver, you could substitute tuna.

My recipe -

A pack of liver (supermarket packs are usually about 500 grams)
About 250 grams of flour - I use gluten free as some dogs are gluten intolerant
1 egg
A slosh of olive oil or salmon oil for a glossy coat (optional)

Cut the liver into pieces and use a hand blender to blitz it with the egg until it's a sloppy mess. Stir in the oil if using and the flour. It still should be a sloppy mess.

Turn into a parchment lined baking tray measuring about 6"x9". It shold be about an inch deep.

Bake at 170 degrees for about 15 minutes until a knife comes out clean.

When it's cold, cut into kit kat finger sized pieces - half them again for a smaller dog - and freeze them in a freezer bag. They freeze in separate pieces so you can take out one at a time and break into smaller pieces for training.

Dogs love it, it has no sugar, salt or other nasties and lasts for weeks. It also is cheap to make - a recent survey showed some dog treats to be more epensive, ounce for ounce, than fillet steak!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back