The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy can't talk

Kabow

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone

Interesting title for a thread, isn't it?

I hope this title will attract people with good advice, sorry to disappoint you but my puppy isn't a freak.

He stares at me a lot, blinks and winks at me.

But although he's doing everything needed when I take him out (every couple of hours or so) and can hold it at night (around 8 hours), won't wee in his crate when left for short times (2 or 3 hours), he's very quiet and doesn't make me understand when he needs to go out and wees on the floor. He hasn't pooed inside for some time but I fear that he would if he needed to.

I just need one little sign (because a wink really isn't enough). How could I get him to make understand? I'm not asking him to point at the door with his paw but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Is it a matter of just being more patient? He's just 4 months old. I know he's doing good but how can I help him?

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

My dog didn't bark until he was around 8 months old, and that's when we left him at a home boarding place and he learnt that he actually has vocal cords bless him!

He is nearly 2 and his way of telling me when he wants something is to stare at me. Quite literally sit and stare at me. I know when he is desperate to tell me something as he stands up gets even closer to me and continues to stare at me! Occasionally he will whine a little and letting a big sigh out as if to say 'come one woman!!! lol!

This will be for when he wants the toilet or when he wants feeding. He never goes to the back door when it's shut he just stares so I know what how you feel. The only time he goes out without telling me is when the back door is left open.

You have only had your new puppy for a month so it will take a little longer to learn how he will want to communicate with you. At this stage it is merely a guessing game.

If you know roughly what time during the day he needs the toilet, then keep an eye on him and watch him closely. The slightest thing you should be able to pick up to sense that he wants something. Change of body movement, behavior, even facial expression. The same will go for his feeding times. He will soon clock on to what time you feed him and again his body language will change and most likely become a little more excited and bob around your feet like he is waiting to be fed and he is telling you that he wants to be fed.

4.30pm every day, my dog wakes from his nap, has a stretch and then stares at me or my partner James for half an hour until its his dinner time at 5pm. It's quite hilarious actually, as by the time it gets to 5pm he is either sulking in his bed or practically on our laps, licking our faces cus he wants his food.

Be patient a little longer and just watch him closely. Even make a note of his behavior at certain times to see if you can see a pattern emerging.

You will soon catch on to his ways! Dogs are so funny some times!

The one thing I will say is if that when he does start to bark make sure it isn't because he is throwing a tantrum because he wants something. If he is alerting you to something then fine, or playing, but barking does not allow him to get what he wants. He will soon catch on to this and bark every time he wants something if you don't nip it in the bud IF this behavior does arise, as this will get really annoying really fast!

Good luck

Sophie x

Hi Sophie,

So it sounds like Lennon is going in the right direction if he's anything like your dog. I'll try to be even more vigilant (I thought I had had good training with the kids) as dogs can be quite subtle I understand.

I was wondering if you could help on another little worry I've got. Lennon eats too fast, which is normal especially for a puppy. I've already slowed him down by feeding him in a muffin tray (that really frustrated him the 1st time he nearly gave up), I've taught him to sit in his basket until I'm ready and say 'go', and if I ask him to stop he goes back to his basket until I say 'go' again. Are there any tricks I could try to avoid problems when I reduce his feeds to 2 then 1?

Thank you, Melanie

He sounds so much like my dog Bear! Bear used to eat so quick he used to make himself sick! Madness!

You can either put a large pebble (I mean large and smooth!!) into his bowl and the food will sit round it and he will work round it which will slow him down.

I did this for a while and then he figured out he could throw the stone out the bowl and crash his food everywhere and just hoover it all up double time!

SO!!! I went for what is called a green feeder. Someone on here suggested it to me, as I posted a similar question when Bear was a pup. It is an artificial grass bowl and the food gets sprinkled into that. It slows them down greatly and its very good for taxing their brain whilst they are eating so they are also working for their food.

You can get a swirly design too. You get these at pets at home or on line. Links are below. They are about £20 but worth every penny! They are dishwasher proof too, and very easy to clean. One of the best things I ever bought for Bear. He still uses it now and will continue to do as it's solved his throwing up problem when it comes to food!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Animals-Interactive-Feeder-Green/dp/B009CKHXYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426773841&sr=8-1&keywords=green+dog+feeder

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/dog-bowls/-p3450--1?pageSize=134#

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/dog-bowls/-p3451--1?i=90&pageSize=45&orderBy=1#

Keep up the training when it comes to food. Having control over a food orientated dog is a skill in itself! We can put Bears food down for him and just leave him there for half an hour if we wanted and he still wouldn't touch it until we said 'OK' which we use for his release command.

You certainly sound like you are going in the right direction so keep it up!

Anything else your not sure of just ask! I've had everything with Bear when he was a pup! I was constantly posting on here! lol

Sophie x

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for sharing your experience and also for the links. I'll seriously look into this as I suspect Lennon is one of those dogs that need good management of food. I think I could probably quite easily teach him a few tricks if he's so eager for treats.

Melanie

You're welcome!

And by the way; I love the name Lennon!! :thumbsup:

Anything else, we are all here to help.

Sophie x

Hello

This is my first post on the forum but thought I'd mention that I've managed to teach my little Jack Russell to ring a bell when she wants to go out.

I attached a bell on a string to the door and kicked it every time I let her out and after a few days she started to ring it herself.

She's 4 months old now and has defo found her voice but when I first got her she was so small that she would just silently disappear and I'd find her near a puddle by the back door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get excited about the act of opening the door. A bell is a good idea. If you can encourage the excited behaviour around the door before it gets opened your pup may offer it when he needs the door to be opened.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back