The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy crying & vomiting

JennyK

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We got our miniature smooth haired Dachshund 5 days ago at 8 weeks old. I know it's very early days but he will not stop crying and barking when he is left alone and gets himself so upset that he vomits in his crate. 

We tried covering the crate, a hot water bottle, ticking clock, blanket with his mums scent and our scents but he still barks non stop until we let him out. This goes without saying we have to take him up to our bedroom in his crate at night with the door open and try little by little leaving him alone for longer periods of time. 

He only vomits when he's been crying for around 30 minutes, today I left him for 1.5 hours crying and again he had vomited.

At night in our room he doesn't cry (just gets up about 4 times to pee or poop) puppy pad success rate of about 50%!! 

I took some some time off from work, but he will be alone for around 4 Hours for the first time tomorrow & worried to leave him if he still vomits. Anyone experienced the same problem and any suggestions? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big fan of crates but I would not crate him if he finds it so upsetting. See if you can settle him in a different cosy place. Adaptil is often helpful. Its all about trial and error with some pups. They are all different. Try sectioning off a corner of a room perhaps.

Puppy pads are a waste of time and money. House training is all about reading the signs and organising it so that the puppy is outside when he needs to pee and poo. Any pees and poops that happen inside should be seen as a failure on our part to anticipate that our puppy needs to go. Take him out after eating, after sleeping, after playing and any time he looks a little distracted. Give a high value reward immediately he performs. Do not wait until he walks towards you as he will think the reward is for that.

Thanks, I think I made a mistake because he did love his crate so after a few days of settling in it I decided to try that but obviously did not work. also tried without the crate and just leaving him in the kitchen at night but he was sick from crying then too. He must have separation anxiety. 

Also having trouble finding a treat he actually likes! He loves his food and eats that fine but doesn't seem incentivised by the little puppy treats I bought and leaves them! But will try a different one. 

Separation anxiety is caused by dogs being over bonded to their owners. If his crying is causing you anxiety (which, of course, it would) are you over compensating for it by giving him far too much attention, when you are there, than is good for his development.

Puppies need to learn to be independent. This means that they should not get attention at every whimper. It is best to ignore whimpering and whining and wait until puppy is settled or playing before giving attention. It is really hard at first because they try really hard if they are used to getting attention by whimpering and whining. You just have to listen and wait for a break and get in there with attention. At first just a second or two will do, but as time goes on wait for longer periods of quiet before giving attention. This does not mean leaving him to cry for long periods waiting for him to stop. Rather try to distract him by rattling something and then giving him attention before he starts up again. Roll a toy by him without engaging with him. If he stops crying then carry on with the game.

You could try taking him outside every time he whimpers or whines. This will teach him how to get taken outside when he needs to go. Don't make a big deal of it just whisk him outside and ignore him until he goes, reward well, and bring him in again. He can then have lots of attention because he has stopped whimpering. When he is ready he will settle and you can give him intermittent attention for settling. If he starts up whimpering then whisk him outside without ceremony so that he learns that it gets him let out but not any attention unless, of course, he performs his toilets :)

Ignore his attempts to get attention by following you or sitting resting against you. Move away and then give him attention when he settles on his own. It is so easy to breathe a sigh of relief when they settle on their own and get on with other stuff. This means they never get attention for being independent but only for being needy. This, in turn, feeds their needy side rather than the one we want, the independent side.

It is very difficult bringing a puppy home and away from his mum and all his litter mates. Yes they need care and attention but they also need to build confidence in their ability to cope as an independent dog. If you are ever tempted to get him a companion then think again. It is not another dog's attention that they want but their owner's. Another dog takes their owner's attention away :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back