The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy gone off her kibble but still eating other food

Gizmo_

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

My 20 week old french bulldog x puppy was always a great eater, eager to get stuck in at every mealtime.
The last few days she’s completely uninterested in her kibble, but will happily eat anything else including our other dog’s food.
At first thought it might be due to teething but that calmed down now.

She plays happily etc, and if I was to give her our other dogs kibble, she’d eat it all. He’s on a senior low fat kibble so I don’t think it’d be suitable for a puppy.

Do I need to change the brand? If so, do you have any recommendations? I looked into raw feeding but I don’t think it’s the way for us.

Thanks for any tips!

I wouldn't rule out teething still having an effect - or it might simply be that she finds her kibble a bit boring. You could try adding a small bit of wet dog food, or unsalted stock/gravy to see if it make it more interesting for her.

If you want to try a different kibble, have a look at AllAboutDogFood.co.uk You can put in details of your dog, and your budget, and it will suggest different brands, giving each a rating.

Can I ask why you decided against raw feeding? Once I got into the swing of it I found it very straightforward, and people who switch to raw rarely go back again.

I have at the moment a puppy that is almost 21 weeks, she has changed all of her small front teeth and is at the moment just changing her canines. It is quiet likely that your puppy is teething and finding the kibble a bit difficult.
You have suggested raw, which I think would be worth a try. It is soft and highly nutritious, you can get complete raw mixes which contain minced bone for essential calcium this will be hardly noticeable when being eaten during teething.
My puppy is even managing to eat her regular rib bones and chicken bones without too much problem, she just takes a little longer than usual.

Oh Judy, you noticed:rolleyes:
"VeJay" is mum, one of "Sikas" puppies from 3 years ago.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out teething still having an effect - or it might simply be that she finds her kibble a bit boring. You could try adding a small bit of wet dog food, or unsalted stock/gravy to see if it make it more interesting for her.

If you want to try a different kibble, have a look at AllAboutDogFood.co.uk You can put in details of your dog, and your budget, and it will suggest different brands, giving each a rating.

Can I ask why you decided against raw feeding? Once I got into the swing of it I found it very straightforward, and people who switch to raw rarely go back again.
I like the idea of raw, just don’t have the time and space.

Will give your suggestions a go! Thanks

I like the idea of raw, just don’t have the time and space.

It really takes very little time - barely longer than kibble unless you 'process' it yourself. But yes, space can be a deal breaker. As a guide, though, I estimate she'd need something around 7kg a month. Apologies if I sound evangelical - but some people avoid raw feeding because they think it will be harder than it is. Me included, until I took the plunge!

May I suggest my favourite little book to help you get started if you should consider raw.
"Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs".
Only a little book it is so easy to read and understand . Even though I have fed raw to our dogs for 40 years, I still enjoy turning the pages from time to time.
You can purchase this from Amazon from as little as 1p plus delivery, also from ebay for around the £3 mark or less (delivery included). The books are most of the time like new.
I recently bought 4 of these books from ebay from "worldofbooks08 for £8.44 (I just love giving them to people who are interested in raw feeding) :rolleyes:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back