The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy motion sickness

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
If it makes you feel any better @Nanny71, I suffer terribly with travel sickness. In a car, for work journeys, I have to drive, so it means picking up colleagues before the drive! I feel so ill as a passenger it's ridiculous! I was the same on boats, but after having one for a few years some time ago, that got better. Planes are the same, make me want to throw up, trains less so.
I'm glad I am not the only one. Boats ok if I am on deck. Usually pretty much ok on short train journeys.
Planes I always take medication and wear anti sickness bands.

@Nanny71 - can U wear the accu-pressure wrist-bands?
They have a small fixed hard dome on them, & the band itself is elastic fabric; it uses pressure on a specific area, to reduce nausea, & the effects of motion on one's balance.

My older sister may well be the only Navy wife in history who got seasick while tied to the dock - we were touring a sub-tender, the small fast ships that deliver food, drink, med-supplies, entertainment [movies, etc] to the Navy submarines. We were 3 decks down when a carrier passed her stern, going to sea; even dead-slow, a ship of that tonnage moves the water, & the tender bobbed.
Peggy turned green, & we flew up the ladders to the main deck to get her out in fresh air before she chucked her lunch. :oops:
She swears by the accu-pressure bands - I bought her a set for Xmas, one year. She uses them on planes, in cars when she's not driving, & anytime she thinks she might be affected [carnival rides, etc].

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Band-Wrist-Band-Nausea-Relief/dp/B000LNEB0Q

- terry

I have used acupressure bands. I think they must have worked. I thought I was over all this sickness (grown out of it? ). Got another steam train booked in September so I will get some more and also heavy duty travel pills from doctor.

@Nanny71 - can U wear the accu-pressure wrist-bands?
They have a small fixed hard dome on them, & the band itself is elastic fabric; it uses pressure on a specific area, to reduce nausea, & the effects of motion on one's balance.

My older sister may well be the only Navy wife in history who got seasick while tied to the dock - we were touring a sub-tender, the small fast ships that deliver food, drink, med-supplies, entertainment [movies, etc] to the Navy submarines. We were 3 decks down when a carrier passed her stern, going to sea; even dead-slow, a ship of that tonnage moves the water, & the tender bobbed.
Peggy turned green, & we flew up the ladders to the main deck to get her out in fresh air before she chucked her lunch. :oops:
She swears by the accu-pressure bands - I bought her a set for Xmas, one year. She uses them on planes, in cars when she's not driving, & anytime she thinks she might be affected [carnival rides, etc].

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Band-Wrist-Band-Nausea-Relief/dp/B000LNEB0Q

- terry

My husband used to joke I would be sick on the canal. Used to do a lot of scuba diving but never sick on inflatables but unable to dive if we went on a dive boat with solid sides.

I've not much to add to the above but my family dog who's now 13 was car sick as a pup. She eventually just outgrew it. You can get tablets for long journeys.

possibly dumb Q, @Nanny71 - but could someone install a grounding strap on the car's axle?

This has been known to reduce or even entirely alleviate long-standing motion sickness, after all other options had failed. Not very costly, & it can't hurt to try. :) . No side effects, no interactions, no dosage concerns!

possibly dumb Q, @Nanny71 - but could someone install a grounding strap on the car's axle?

This has been known to reduce or even entirely alleviate long-standing motion sickness, after all other options had failed. Not very costly, & it can't hurt to try. :) . No side effects, no interactions, no dosage concerns!

When I was a child (many years ago) my dad fixed a chain to the back of the car because that was supposed to work. I think that was supposed to be a grounding sort of thing. Another thing that was supposed to help was sitting on a pile of newspapers. That didn't work either.
I think it is partly psychological and it is so implanted in my mind that it happens.
This was the first time on a train so I need to persuade myself it isn't going to happen every time.
We are booked on another steam train in September so it is seabands and medication.

just FYI for anyone, about grounding vehicles -

Grounding straps for cars | San Diego Reader
Grounding straps for cars
Jun 5, 2013 -
Normally, rubber straps are poor conductors, but the grounding versions are ... The manufacturers claim that static buildup in a car can lead to ...

Protect Your Forklift With an Anti Static Ground Strap
Protect Your Forklift With an Anti Static Ground Strap
Nov 30, 2017 -
Static straps are important for lift trucks with non marking tires. ... Ever wondered why there's a strap dragging on the ground underneath some forklifts? ... on each vehicle (one behind each axle) to help minimize static buildup ...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back