The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy not listening to other dogs

Mackenzie Cant

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have an xl bully puppy, shes 7 months and getting very big. She doesn't listen to my other dog(who is now smaller than her) when he tells her he is done playing. He will walk away or lay down but she does not listen which then causes him to snap at her. Still she doesn't take the hint, even when i intervene as soon as i let go of her she goes straight back too it. She jumps on his back, bites his legs and neck and gets far too boisterous but doesn’t listen to human or animal corrections. What can i do? She doesn’t listen and its causing my other dog who's getting too old for continuous rough play to get quite distressed

I'm sure others will be able to add detail but can you intervene sooner, separate them or keep them separate? Your older dog needs your help here.

Can you use baby gates to keep them apart?

Yes: just remove pup and put her somewhere she can't get at the old dog. You will have to keep doing it until pup has grown out of the irritating thug stage. It's a kindness to your old dog.

I have an xl bully puppy, shes 7 months and getting very big. She doesn't listen to my other dog(who is now smaller than her) when he tells her he is done playing. He will walk away or lay down but she does not listen which then causes him to snap at her. Still she doesn't take the hint, even when i intervene as soon as i let go of her she goes straight back too it. She jumps on his back, bites his legs and neck and gets far too boisterous but doesn’t listen to human or animal corrections. What can i do? She doesn’t listen and its causing my other dog who's getting too old for continuous rough play to get quite distressed
As already mentioned...you will have to interfere as soon as you see first signs that your older dog is not in a mood to entertain young one's behaviour...or alternatively give your older one his own space where he can chill in peace and perhaps give some extra activity to the younger one and distract her from unruly behaviour. Our young ones seem to be more boisterous when it gets near their bed time or they are getting tired....so I'm trying to be ahead for what is surely to come, I'll start calming them down before the young ones have their 'tantrums'. I give mine a good chewing session with natural chews and/or massage/brush..ours are like magnets with fire so this time of the year when wood burner is on...it soon 'drug' them to chill. What ever method is needed to 'chill' them out...it does involve one of us hoomans to 'be there' with them..they won't settle that easily on their own.

I'm sure others will be able to add detail but can you intervene sooner, separate them or keep them separate? Your older dog needs your help here.

Can you use baby gates to keep them apart?
She’s able to jump baby gates, we’ve tried those before, i step in once he tries to get away. She’ll calm down for a moment and then goes right back to trying to play. Im honestly out of ideas

As already mentioned...you will have to interfere as soon as you see first signs that your older dog is not in a mood to entertain young one's behaviour...or alternatively give your older one his own space where he can chill in peace and perhaps give some extra activity to the younger one and distract her from unruly behaviour. Our young ones seem to be more boisterous when it gets near their bed time or they are getting tired....so I'm trying to be ahead for what is surely to come, I'll start calming them down before the young ones have their 'tantrums'. I give mine a good chewing session with natural chews and/or massage/brush..ours are like magnets with fire so this time of the year when wood burner is on...it soon 'drug' them to chill. What ever method is needed to 'chill' them out...it does involve one of us hoomans to 'be there' with them..they won't settle that easily on their own.
It’s usually before bed when she gets extra roudy, ill definitely try finding something she enjoys to keep her calm. Thank you

She’s able to jump baby gates, we’ve tried those before, i step in once he tries to get away. She’ll calm down for a moment and then goes right back to trying to play. Im honestly out of ideas
You can get extra tall gates.

have you tried a muzzle, she probably wont like it, but if you put it on ever time she starts she might get the idea not to do it.

It might be hard to fit a muzzle to a bully snout but if introduced properly, there's no need for her to not like it - it's just like any other bit of kit like a harness or collar.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back