The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy not sleeping - at all!

Willow82

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Please can someone help me! We have an 11 week old cockerspaniel who has been with us 2 1/2 weeks. She does not sleep at night - she will quite happily howl / bark / cry all night long - with no rest at all.

We had intended on having the crate in our bedroom to start with, but the breeder recommended tough love, so we covered it and left it in the kitchen for the first few nights. She was very distressed, throwing herself at the cage, but we followed the breeder’s advice and left her. When that didn’t settle, I tried sleeping in the kitchen with her - still covered in her crate but comforted her with my voice - which helped slightly - she would sleep for maybe an hour at a time but still distressed. Now she is in the utility room, crate open, puppy pad on floor. Sometimes if we get her down when she’s sleepy, she’ll sleep 11-3am, then cry until morning. Other nights (like now) she won’t settle at all - and we follow the advice and ignore her.

my question is - is this normal? Do we stick with what we are doing and eventually she’ll adapt? Or should be rewind back to the start and put the crate in the bedroom?

Any advice welcome!!!

the breeder recommended tough love,
I'm afraid that is rather old fashioned advice.

is this normal? Do we stick with what we are doing and eventually she’ll adapt?

No, and no.

At this stage, she is an infant who has just been separated from mum and littermates and meeting her emotional needs is just as important as meeting her physical needs. When she is crying, it is because she is alone in the dark and anxious. By having her in your room, and you being there for her, you won't make her clingy, you will help her develop her confidence by protecting her from the scary night time and she will grow in confidence as she learns there is nothing to fear. You are not ”rewarding her crying,” you are meeting a fundamental need of an infant. It doesn't have to be forever, when she is settled overnight you can start moving her bed, in baby steps over a period of time towards where you want her to sleep.

Hopefully you wouldn't leave a child who was afraid of the dark to cry themselves to sleep, alone. Your puppy is the same. The dogs that stop crying don't do so because they suddenly realise everything is ok, they do it because they have given up hope. It is an extreme example but in trauma victims, it's the silent ones who are most damaged.

This article explains the science behind it.

Self Soothing & Cry It Out Are Neurologically Damaging Here Is Why - Simply Behaviour Dog Training Courses

So I'd say definitely have her in your room.

It is a good idea to start helping her develop independence soon though, and Emma Judson's Flitting Game, described about ⅔ of the way down this link is a good way to start.

https://www.thecanineconsultants.co.uk/post/separation-anxiety-fact-vs-fiction

puppy pad on floor.

I meant to add - puppy pads have their place for dogs who can't go out for reasons of illness or old age, but for puppy training they just give mixed messages about whether indoor toileting is allowed or not, and slow down training. If she is in your room you will also have the advantage of hearing her stir, so you can get her outside for toileting.

Thanks, I really appreciate your reply - we are just so sleep deprived!

would you put her in the crate in the bedroom? Closed or open? And covered or uncovered?

It depends how happy she is in her crate. It isn't inevitable, but it is possible, that the night time experience has ”contaminated ” it and made it not be the safe and happy place you need it to be.

If you are going to use it, provided your room isn't draughty, I'd have it uncovered (or at least the side facing you uncovered). Part of the point of all this is for her to know you are there and being able to see you might help.

She still eats her meals in here and will go in for some naps but agree it could have contaminated the experience. We’ll give it a go. Thanks again.

Can you leave the door open and block her from going too far from it using other things like furniture, so she doesn't feel trapped but is still contained in an area?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back