The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Off Food

madbella

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Austin has been on eukanuba puppy food (the biscuits) since we got him. He had it at the breeders as well. The breeder also fed scrambled egg, tuna, mince and milk but we just kept up with some tuna with his biscuits.

He went off the biscuits a bit so I got him natures way (I think that's what its called) sachet of meat etc and put a little with the biscuits. Puppy ate food.

This weekend we gave him some tuna as the meat ran out and he will only eat the tuna and leaves the biscuits.

It can't be because he is teething as he ate his puppy bonio no problem.

Shall I just give him the biscuits (and nothing else) and hopefully he will eat when he is hungry?

Is this an ok thing to do with puppys?

Well i can't really blame him for not wanting to eat eukanuba,when he has wonderful tasty alternatives.

I've pm'ed you :thumbsup:

Hes at it bella

He realises there are better things to eat than boring biccies and if he doesnt eat mummy will give him something nice!!!!

Very clever these whippets give him biscuits and hell eat when he is hungry. :thumbsup:

Treat them the same as children no main so no pudding :D

He was last wormed at the end of september so is due again I think.

clever puppy i say

dogs need real food - real meat - i feed raw and am finding more and more people are too including more breeders.

if you knew what went into these commercial foods you wouldnt touch them!

im happy to tell you much more if you would like to pm me

:)

Thanks for you help guys.

We had a little bit of a realisation yesterday. My mum feeds her dogs food raised as opposed to on the floor and it seems like austin prefers his food raised too.

He ate his lunch at 5pm raised (didn't want it on the floor at lunchtime). And he also ate some raised at 8pm.

We have decided to change his diet slightly. He will be getting more of the nature diet meat in the morning and then some new biscuits for lunch and dinner.

Try him on tripe and some kind of biscuit mixer ......ours love it!!! (w00t) , they also like their bowls raised off the ground :thumbsup:

louiejoe said:
Try him on tripe and some kind of biscuit mixer ......ours love it!!!  (w00t) , they also like their bowls raised off the ground  :thumbsup:

Beau never leaves one bit of tripe or biscuit :D

daledogs said:
louiejoe said:
Try him on tripe and some kind of biscuit mixer ......ours love it!!!  (w00t) , they also like their bowls raised off the ground  :thumbsup:

Beau never leaves one bit of tripe or biscuit :D

Neither does his mother :- " Mind you she'd eat ANYTHING & EVERYTHING!!! :lol: :x :lol:

Beau always did enjoy his food, from what I recall he was the best eater in his litter, glad he's still got a great appetite :thumbsup:

More I learn about highly processed dog food less of it I let my dogs eat. And some brands are totally out

Webpage

and if that does not put you off;

HOW IS CANNED FOOD AND KIBBLE MADE?

The raw materials e.g. cattle carcasses are rendered. Pet food manufacturers buy either the meat slurry or the dried meal produced by rendering plants. Canned, dry or semi-moist cat food all contain similar ingredients. The ratio of protein, fat and fibre may be different and the amount of water present and the types of preservative used will differ greatly. Canned food is more bulky which is good for bowel action, but its soft texture means that teeth are not "exercised" which leads to tartar build-up and gum disease. Dry foods are convenient for the owner, but they are compact, energy dense and can cause constipation because the cat's bowel does not get enough bulk to keep throughput smooth. The natural diet of the cat is semi-moist - moist muscle meat and tough skin and sinew.

... Dry food is made with a machine called an expander or extruder. Raw materials are blended and the mixture is fed into an expander. It is then pressure cooked (steam, pressure, very high temperature) into a paste which is extruded through pipes which shapes blobs of paste into biscuits. These are puffed like popcorn and baked or dried, then sprayed with fat, digests and flavour enhancers. The cooking process kills bacteria, but may be ineffective against heat stable toxins or prions (causative agents in BSE). Non-extruded dry foods are baked and are denser and crunchier and may require no coating of fats of flavourings.

Cooking, rendering, drying, canning and baking all destroy vitamins and other nutrients. The by-products used as raw ingredients are poorer quality and contain less nutritional value than the prime cuts of meat depicted on the label. Pet food manufacturers therefore fortify the product with vitamins and minerals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
More I learn about highly processed dog food less of it I let my dogs eat.  And some brands are totally  out
Webpage

and if that does not put you off;

HOW IS CANNED FOOD AND KIBBLE MADE?

The raw materials e.g. cattle carcasses are rendered. Pet food manufacturers buy either the meat slurry or the dried meal produced by rendering plants. Canned, dry or semi-moist cat food all contain similar ingredients. The ratio of protein, fat and fibre may be different and the amount of water present and the types of preservative used will differ greatly. Canned food is more bulky which is good for bowel action, but its soft texture means that teeth are not "exercised" which leads to tartar build-up and gum disease. Dry foods are convenient for the owner, but they are compact, energy dense and can cause constipation because the cat's bowel does not get enough bulk to keep throughput smooth. The natural diet of the cat is semi-moist - moist muscle meat and tough skin and sinew.

... Dry food is made with a machine called an expander or extruder. Raw materials are blended and the mixture is fed into an expander. It is then pressure cooked (steam, pressure, very high temperature) into a paste which is extruded through pipes which shapes blobs of paste into biscuits. These are puffed like popcorn and baked or dried, then sprayed with fat, digests and flavour enhancers. The cooking process kills bacteria, but may be ineffective against heat stable toxins or prions (causative agents in BSE). Non-extruded dry foods are baked and are denser and crunchier and may require no coating of fats of flavourings.

Cooking, rendering, drying, canning and baking all destroy vitamins and other nutrients. The by-products used as raw ingredients are poorer quality and contain less nutritional value than the prime cuts of meat depicted on the label. Pet food manufacturers therefore fortify the product with vitamins and minerals.

hi i also read about what goes into commercial dog foods so i have switched my dogs to burns holistic food and my dogs are much healthy and produce much less waste i would recommend this to anyone :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back