The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

puppy pooing in crate at night

hollysh

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I understand it may be awkward to give advice as I am actually a dog sitter and the puppy is only with me until Wednesday but the constant cleaning up every morning is hard work.

Have a little 3 month old boxer puppy staying, she's gorgeous and been no trouble at all. Apart from her toilet training. She has never weed outside the house. I have managed to get her to go for poos outside during the day and give her lots of encouragement. But during the night it's a lot harder. One of the reasons for this is because I take her over the field during the day. But when it gets to 5pm it's pitch black over there. Nowhere else seems to work. I attempted to take her out back on her lead even though I knew it wasn't going to work. My garden is very narrow and small. She just spends the time being distracted and picking up things she shouldn't. I walked her on the roads last night but she was scared and distracted and wouldn't toilet.

I feel embarrassed to say that I didn't attempt to walk her tonight apart from out the garden (she didn't toilet). I'm tired and have to be up at 6am to walk her, as I do a paper round for an hour in the morning.

I do feel it's progressing. I have tried to stick to the owners routine. She eats 4 times a day.

Do you know what she's like in her owner's home? Where does she sleep at night? It might help if she was in a crate in your bedroom - she might wake you up when she needs to poo and if not, it would at least contain the mess. Stress at being in a different place with different people might be a factor, particularly if she usually sleeps with her owner and is now on her own.

If all else fails just keep muttering, 'This too will pass... This too will pass...'

Thanks. Her pen is in her owners room at home but my bedroom is only next door to the living room where she is sleeping. I live in a downstairs flat. She is getting loads better. I see a vast improvement from when she first arrived, I definitely think she is settling in. She even weed out the back garden tonight but her last poo was at 6pm. So I am again concerned going to sleep that she is going to soil on her duvet I have just got dry from the last time. I gave her last meal at 5pm. Owner gives it at 8pm but I have to be up at 5.30, so starting her meals earlier in the day. First day I'm starting it so will see what happens tonight. If it makes a difference.

Spoke too soon on that one. Heard her moving about in her pen and as I got into the hall I sensed it and smelled it. She has done a poo. 10.45pm. This puppy training is hard work :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back