The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy trauma!

Jan Woodhall

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I would like some advise please. My puppy, 17 weeks old, A Borzoi, has damaged his legs! 3 of them! He slipped and did the splits yesterday with his hind legs, today I found swelling under the groin on the left leg. Today, in the morning, he did something to his front right leg and has been intermittently limping on this. I rang the vet for advise, and unable to get into them, they are also not allowing owners to enter the practice with their pets! Not good. Any advise would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Did the vet give a reason why you couldn't get an appointment? Did they seem to think it was nothing to worry about? Did they give you any advice about trying to get him to rest and not attempt ballet moves again?!

Most (if not all) vets aren't allowing owners into the practice right now - would going in on his own stress him a lot? Maybe the vet could watch how he moves outside the practice? Or could you send your vet a photo of the swelling and a video of him walking?

And I think with a leggy dog like this, you need to get some rugs :(

At 17 weeks old and being a larger breed he really needs to see a vet ...ours are coming into the carpark for examination....

Thank you all for your responses. I have now changed my vets that I had had for 4 weeks only! Disgraceful practice! Outside examination not viable due to only just having had his 2nd innoculation. The practice did not inform me about the problems with L4! Had to be told by a friend! Yes they had given him L4! he had the subsequent stomach reactions to this which is why my 'leggy' puppy, was without a carpet as it was in the garden drying from a scrub! Getting a photo of it, or indeed a video, great ideas - have you met my puppy?! LOL He is a complete bundle of excitability and bounce and bite! ~Doing things can sometimes - err, well shall we say , rather challenging! When he has a calm and sane moment he is brilliant :) He is slightly improved this morning, which is great, and vets have not seen him yet (new vets that is!) But, because I am a nurse (human not animal!) They are happy for me to monitor him because he seems brighter, is eating again and drinking, and capable of his 'ballet' for a few moments so I am thinking, soft tissue injury - which will require rest and a slow rehab - can someone tell HIM that :) Really grateful for your input. Thanks

have you met my puppy?! LOL He is a complete bundle of excitability and bounce and bite! ~Doing things can sometimes - err, well shall we say , rather challenging!

I can imagine, having had my own sighthound as a leggy, crazy pup! I'm glad you've found a vet you have more confidence in :)

I can imagine, having had my own sighthound as a leggy, crazy pup! I'm glad you've found a vet you have more confidence in :)
Thanks, I've moved area 20 years ago and they are not as good here as they were previously :( This is thee first time I have had a dog in 38 years! She made so much impact on me I just couldn't do it - ended up with the same breed now - but a little boy! :)

We would love photos of your pup, if you get a chance :) My husband hankers after a Borzoi, but I doubt it will ever happen.

There are some Borzois coming over from China along with whippets ...saved from the meat trade ...

Vets need to do there job and they will , ring and get appointment, dog so young with leg problems isn’t what you need .

I do love Borzois, though I've never had one of my own. I am so pleased to hear pup is recovering.

I agree it sounds like soft tissue damage and good that's he's improving. And of course a very young dog will heal wonderfully quickly. In the past when I couldn't get an appointment with a vet I've recorded his movements on my phone and sent that- which works. Good luck with your new dog!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back