The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy waking at 3am

Cath S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Back again. So Freddie is nearly 8 months now and has started waking at approx 3am. He sleeps in my bedroom and has done for about 6 weeks now - no issues. When he started waking I assumed he needed the toilet but have been prooved wrong. It seems he just wants to sleep outside of the bedroom and will pass the baby gate to get out. When I let him out and sit on the sofa he will just settle back to sleep - mainly on my feet. My question is is it too early to let him have access to the lounge as well as the bedroom? my flat is very small. Not sure how 3am fits in with things - maybe he can hear something I can’t in the bedroom? He won’t settle back in the bedroom. Any advice?

Assuming he's having no, or very few, accidents now, I think I would just open the door to let him out and let him choose where he wants to settle - I wouldn't go out there with him as he might get to expect it.

Back again. So Freddie is nearly 8 months now and has started waking at approx 3am. He sleeps in my bedroom and has done for about 6 weeks now - no issues. When he started waking I assumed he needed the toilet but have been prooved wrong. It seems he just wants to sleep outside of the bedroom and will pass the baby gate to get out. When I let him out and sit on the sofa he will just settle back to sleep - mainly on my feet. My question is is it too early to let him have access to the lounge as well as the bedroom? my flat is very small. Not sure how 3am fits in with things - maybe he can hear something I can’t in the bedroom? He won’t settle back in the bedroom. Any advice?
Sounds like he is starting to show some developing independence coming on.....which is not a bad thing. Let him have his own mind in small steps and to test how he behaves. As he proves to you how well he behaves and handles his 'freedom', you can then relax bit more and let it 'grow'.

The last few nights Freddie has now starting to need to poo at 3am and not sure why. Food and feeding schedule has been the same since his op which was over 6 weeks now. Is this all part of their developing stage? I still appreciate the fact that he lets me know instead of soiling in the house. His last feed is 8pm and he normally goes no 2’s at 10am, sometimes at 2ish and always at 5.30 ish - his hasn’t changed its just the extra 3am one that has me stumped!

It might just be his metabolism changing as he grows.

Can you put a few kernels of sweetcorn into one meal, you will know when he is passing that one. Whichever poo he is doing at 3am, I'd change the feeding time (over a few days) to make it later so he can hold it for longer, adjusting the toilet trips as necessary too.

Thanks. What eventual feedings times would you suggest?

Sorry - meant to say he had to be in 4 meals a day at the moment. Currently 8,12,4,8

It's just a guess, I but if he needs to poo at 3.00am, maybe 8, 12.30, 5 and 9.30?

Ok thank you for your help - much appreciated.

I know I posted this a while back. Freddie is now on 3 meals a day - 8,1 and 7.pm with walks at 10, 2 and 5pm. He also has a small snack before bed. The acid reflux is so much better and no symptoms for nearly 2 weeks. However, since moving to 3 meals a day he needs to poo at midnight-12.30 am which is not ideal. I know I could put sweetcorn in one meal to see which meal is causing the midnight poops but wondered what feeding times people would suggest to try. A 8-9 pm walk could potentially solve the issue but this is not convenient for personal reasons. Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Would it work if you made the meals - particularly the later ones - earlier, adjusting walks accordingly, and maybe giving a slightly bigger breakfast and making then other two smaller? (Whether it's more imortant to reduce the lunchtime or evening meal would depend on his transit time.)

And if you don't want to do a late-evening walk, would a 'sniff/play' time in the garden work instead? If he doesn't know the cue 'poo', you could try training it, which might help. If you are able to make his last walk just a bit later, that might help too.

Thanks Judy. It’s a struggle to get him to eat in the morning - guess this is still from the acid reflux - his appetite gets better as the day progresses. Also I live in a flat with no garden. I appreciate it is trial and error.

Ah, OK - maybe others have suggestions, but good luck with finding something that works!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back