The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Walking Distance

iainw77

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 5 month old Collie and a mature Collie. I want to take them out together but the older dog needs more exercise. I have read that 25mins is about right for a pup of this age. Does any one have advice on this?

I'd like to take her out for longer but obviously don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks
Iain

Yes, 5 minutes per month of age is the rule of thumb. But I suspect this is similar to the guidance that we should eat 5 portions of fruit & veg, or walk 10,000 steps, numbers selected pretty much at random. This is also enforced, 'proper' walking - so if the actual walking is interspersed with plenty of mooching and sniffing, a bit of training, a short game of fetch and so on, then you can stay out longer.

Thank you Judy, I take my eldest dog for an hour each morning and that is usually a lot of ball throwing and sniffing about.

I'd have thought an hour would be fine if there's plenty of sniffing about. Careful with the ball throwing though - running to chase the ball, stopping to grab it and then twisting round to come back can put a strain on the joints so you'd probably want to limit that.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back