The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy's appetite changing

Richard & Patsy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sitka turned 6 months yesterday; he is a husky/lab cross, more husky in appearance and temperament with one exception - he has a lab's appetite. He is on a raw diet - 500g of mince in the morning, 500g in the evening and a snack at lunchtime (duck neck, 100g of heart meat, say). He weighs 23kg.
Sitka loves his food, not pausing until his bowl is licked clean and he then wants more. In the last few days this has changed - he eats half the bowl, sometimes going back to it later, sometimes not. He seems well, he seems the same high energy pup and this has happened on days when he had hours of exercise with me at work and days when it is just two walks.
I know that he is on these big portions as he is growing and he will be on about half that as an adult dog.
Did this happen with your puppy? Did you make a gradual reduction in portions and when did you start that?

Yes and yes. As I keep a type of dog that is not food-oriented, I would always let the puppy dictate the amount of food. Quite naturally they would become uninterested in lunch so I'd cut lunch down then out, then the morning meal would be reduced. You can do this with some breeds, not others. I never leave food down once the dog has left the bowl.

At 6 months, although adult teeth are through, they are still settling in the jaw, so this might be part of the reason he is cutting back on food. He is also receiving massive doses of testosterone, which can affect appetite. That's okay and it settles down in time.

You are such a good owner to have noticed (you'd be amazed at what some people don't notice) but rest assured that it's all part of being a growing puppy.

And, his rapid growth will be slowing right down too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back