The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppys

hadrian

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i have just lost my whippet {Jack} to an heart attack. I have had whippets all my life but i was going to have a change and have a itlian greyhound, but the further i look into them they seem so fragile.

Is it true that if they jump off a setee they could break there front leg or legs.

Is it true that 40% of italian greyhounds break there leg or legs.

We look out over about 30 acers of field {not ours} and we would open the gate for Jack and we would exersise him for hours, could you do that with a italian or would you be scared of him/her breaking somehting.

What ever i decide on a whippet or a italian bitch pup does anybody know of any. The whippet i would want a very small strain.

Thanks for your help.

Hadrian

Hi,

Glad that you found your way on here - good luck :luck: with your search!

Darcia

Hi Hadrian, welcome to K9.

Firstly IGs are nothing like whippets in nature. They are very active, agile little dogs that require a lot of exercise. No 40% do not break legs but unfortunately there are certain bloodlines that appear to break more easily than others. These lines can break legs jumping off settees and that is totally unacceptable in this day and age.

There is also Epilepsy, Colitus and Leg Perthes to bear in mind as well. You will be hard pushed to get a bitch puppy as there are only about 100 pups born ecah year and bitches tend to be kept in preference.

If you have had no contcat with IGs you would be advised to visit breeders to se if they are really the dog for you as they are not everyones cup of tea.

I have written a guide to buying an IG Puppy for our website iguksoc.com but it has yet to be put on but keep checking.

Mine free run as much as possible and they will rabbit, very keenly :thumbsup:

shelley_running.JPG

Thank you for that information Darcia.

If i wanted to veiw IGs would you know a breeder to contact to make my own decision and to get more on site guide, and are there many pups about. The Kennel Club Rescue for IGs gave me the infomation about the front legs. Have you as a breeder had any problems with them. I live in the staffordshire area but i am willing to travel to a certain extent.

Thank you again for reply.

Hadrian.

:) Adrian, I have Italian Greyhounds and agree with Jan that there are certain bloodlines that you have to be careful.

Mine live with my Whippets, not sure which way round it is, whether the Whippets think they're Italians or the Italians think they're Whippets. Anyway they do everything together including running hell for leather up some steep hills (ex pit tips) and round and round and in and out of the woodlands. Yes they throw themselves about, but my dogs (and of course I can only speak for myself) are allowed to develop naturally, so that they develop strength in their bone and the supporting musculature.

I'm sorry to say that there are some Italians who are not allowed to run free because of their fine bone. If you don't allow free running a dog can never have a cat in hell's chance of a normal life!

There I go again on my soap box, I'll probably get totally ostracized now, but I prefer my dogs to be dogs and not some cute porcelain type animal.

It is important to see Italians in their home surroundings and to find out if they are the breed for you, but as you have had Whippets already then I would think that you would enjoy them just as much.

Take your time and don't rush into a decision.

Hope all goes well for you whatever you decide.

Hadrian,

Hello! :) Sorry to hear about Jack :(

If you are looking for a small whippet - I met a very small whippet puppy (female) at ringcraft this evening who is available - I've put more details in the General Whippet Discussion thread - PM me if you want contact details!

:D Forgot to say that my Italians go lure coursing and they love it, which says a great deal for their soundness.

Jan's article on the web site she stated is excellent and well worth reading.

Jan F

Thanks for the information Jan.

It does my head in {stoke phase} when you are looking for something special {IGs} and the information given is so far fetched? Im taking about the IGs legs it seemed that all the information was that you have to wrap them in cotton wool or they are for OAPs to cuddle all day thats what it sounded like. So i began to think if this breed is so fragile how as anybody got time for them knowing that the dogs have to be watched most of the time.

I am glad you replied to me becouse you have put some different thoughts in my head.

Just one last word how hard would it be for me to get a puppy?

Yours Hadrian.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back