The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Quoting text

Nigel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Kirawan said:
I cannot work out how you get the "quotes" to come on the reply in a box
It's always difficult to explain about quoted text because as soon as you type in the correct syntax for quoted text the text gets quoted :w - so I'll try showing you in a code window :8

Code:
If I type this:
[quote]Here is quoted text[/quote]

You will get the bit between the [quote] & [/quote] quoted
Like this

Here is the quoted text
When you reply to a post you can always click on the 'Quote' button in the reply you want to quote (instead of just clicking on Reply). Then 2 windows are shown in the Post reply page - the text you want to post and the text you want to quote. Try it you'll see what I mean. :w :w

You can always click on Preview Post before committing yourself to Adding the Reply just to check what you think you've typed really is what will be displayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel said:
When you reply to a post you can always click on the 'Quote' button in the reply you want to quote (instead of just clicking on Reply). Then 2 windows are shown in the Post reply page - the text you want to post and the text you want to quote. Try it you'll see what I mean. You can always click on Preview Post before committing yourself to Adding the Reply just to check what you think you've typed really is what will be displayed.
Many thanks - I think I have it now..... I had not noticed the "quote" button on the right hand side of the message.

Before, I had been messing about with the grey "quote" button at the top !!

So I have the basis of it, but cannot quite work out how you manage to get two separate quote boxes in the same mail.

Thank you again for explaining the main part though. And yes, I always click on the preview post before sending !!

Hopefully the mail problem has now been sorted so all registrations, posts and emails through K9 should be working again.
Nigel, I am practising on one of your previous posts...

so if you do get a problem with anything please let me know... I know you will  :D
am hoping I may have cracked it this time.

Have spent most of the time copying and pasting though and then deleting the rest - is that what you do?

Thank you for your patience.

Hi Kirawan, I don't know what Nigel does-but I don't do what you're doing! :w much to complicated for a dumb blonde.

If in a topic you want to quote someone, the box around their reply will have a selection of options,i.e.reply or quote. One is above their reply,one is underneath.You need to click on the quote button,your comp. will then get you a fresh pg. their will be two boxes on this pg., the one for your reply,(as if you're replying normally) which you'll type your reply in.Underneath this box,you will have a separate box, containing the 'quote', if I don't want all of the words,I just delete the bits I don't want.

When your reply is posted in the topic, there will be one box, at the top is the part you quoted,and underneath will be yopur response :D . I hope this makes sense,I'm cr*p at explaining things, you'll probably be better off waiting for Nigel's reply.

Apologies to Nigel for butting in :( sorry nigel, do you forgive me..... :)

Lyd

Hallo Lydia,

Hi Kirawan, I don't know what Nigel does-but I don't do what you're doing!
Well, that makes two of us then !!

I have to go out now, but it was kind of you to try to help.

I will have another go at it all later on, when it doesnt make me so cross !!

In the meantime, I shall have this attempt. I pressed 3 quote buttons in different places and generally stabbed at the keys with irritation, so guess "now is the time to temporarily stop !!"

I hope this makes sense
Dunno !! - will check on the preview !!

Seems okay so far - but for sure, I seem to be going a very long way about it !!

Lydia said:
I'm cr*p at explaining things
That makes 2 of us ???

Lydia said:
you'll probably be better off waiting for Nigel's reply
Not sure you're better off waiting for my reply... I'm not sure what the question is anymore :8

I don't very often use the 'Code buttons' at the top of the 'Post reply form' I normally just enter the code by hand.

Just remember that any text mods you make to your post - like quote, or font, or size etc start with a modifier in square brackets and end with a /modifier in square brackets

Code:
Like this - if you want to quote a bit of text start with the quote modifier in square brackets --> [quote] 
Then the text you want quoted
Then the end modifier --> [/quote]

So in your post you would type:
[quote] Quoted text here [/quote]

The same with font for example - start with the modifier [font=times] then the text, then the end modifier [/font]. So you'd type:
[font=times]This text is in Times Font[/font]
So you end up with

Quoted text here
This text is in Times Font

I can never seem to get the colours or can II think I`ve got it !!ByGEORGEIVEGOTITjust need to put in the spaces!! :D

Kirawan said:
Hallo Lydia,

In the meantime, I shall have this attempt.  I pressed 3 quote buttons in different places and generally stabbed at the keys with irritation, so guess "now is the time to temporarily stop !!"

I hope this makes sense
Dunno !! - will check on the preview !!

Seems okay so far - but for sure, I seem to be going a very long way about it !!
Hi, :( sorry it didn't help. I do try,some say I'm very trying! :D

Lyd

Nigel said:
Not sure you're better off waiting for my reply... I'm not sure what the question is anymore  :8
I knew I should have left it to you Nigel, Kirawan might be having problems,but you've helped Jax sort out about the colours :D . So it doesn't matter what the problem started off as, you're still sorting them out. :D .

I'd better shut up now before I start confusing myself.... :w :8

Lyd

OMG Just read through this post, i knew how to quote text before but i don't think i do now - you lot have totally confused me :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back