The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Racing Names

Vicky

Maid Your Point
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We were just going down the route of how do you pick your racing names before the server packed up!

Only a few people had answered, anyone else gonna let us know?

We started to use catch phrases Crack O Dawn, Wait and See, Pay Back and Guess who but he was a wee bit different from the others as it was what Grant said to Lisa on Eastenders. The one when we found out who shot him. Just now we have a blue pup and dont know what his racing name will be.

I NAME MY DOGS AFTER LADIES PERFUME i.e. CHANEL,SHALIMAR,SAMSARA,CHLOE,THE PUPS NAME WILL BE PALOMA.[

hi john hows about carbolic then john one from your younger days?when your mam scrubbed you in the old tin bath in front of the fire you must remember that !!!!!!and the dogs went in after !!!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY from steve and his family all the best for the coming years racing . :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :) :b :b :b :b :b :b :b

Carbolic reminds me of one of the racing names in Freeman Lloyds "The Whippet and Race Dog" (published in 1894) which was Bucolic. There are about 1500 names 'suitable for Whippets' seperated into dogs and bitches. I'll post just a few.

• Carbine

• Despoiler

• Emulation

• Plumber

• Necromancer

• Tabby

• Typewriter
The list goes on.

The book has recently been re-published and is available from Amazon The Whippet and Race Dog. It makes a very interesting read and is well worth the £10.50.

Some of the Chapters are (in the first edition anyway)

• The Whippet as a Race Dog

• The Whippet as a Sporting Dog

• The Whippet as a Show Dog

• The Whippet as a Companion

• Racing Rules

• The Sharp Practices of Whippet Racing ???

• Tables of Times, Distances and Weights

• Suitable Names for Whippets

Last edited by a moderator:
:D DID"NT KNOW U HAD BEEN IN OUR HOUSE STEVE WATCHING ME GETTING BATHED :b GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST FOR 2003 :D :) :p :0 ;) :( : :D

We used to try and add a part of the dams or sire's racing name to the puppys racing name, but of late we have waited untill the pup has shown its character and named it accordingly.. :D

hi i try to name all my dogs with jack in the name with us owning jack,s back jack one, jack two named as one has one and the other has two hen,s the names i try to name cass ,jack three but michelle would not let me so we got show three

Just got the new edition of Freeman Lloyds book 'The Whippet or Race-Dog' and was dissapointed to find the chapter 'Suitable names for Whippets' is missing.

This book is a reprint of the 1904 edition not the original 1894 edition. Anyway it's still a good read and good value at £10.50 from Amazon UK

If anyone should want the list of suitable names I'll see if I can copy them from the original.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back