The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Racing

OLD HUNTER

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
HELLO I am new to this site. I have had lurchers for over 40 years, my youngest dog is 7 years, i have had a look though the posts, and was wondering if a lot of theses racing lurchers are whippet x greyhounds. or even 3/4 greyhound x 1/4 whippets. my 3 when they were yonger were fast but would stand no chance against them, cheers John

:) Hi John and welcome to k9, non peds seems to be the way to go in lurcher racing these days, not a lot can beat them, :lol: not that I'm saying a non ped is not a lurcher, :thumbsup: diane.

OLD HUNTER said:
HELLO I am new to this site. I have had lurchers for over 40 years, my youngest dog is 7 years, i have had a look though the posts, and was wondering if a lot of theses racing lurchers are whippet x greyhounds. or even 3/4 greyhound x 1/4 whippets. my 3 when they were yonger were fast but would stand no chance against them, cheers John
yes its true ive only ever seen non peds win

OLD HUNTER said:
HELLO John, would love to see some pics of your old lurchers pleaseeeee :thumbsup: and yes grews have been racing for at least 4 decades, and according to a recent post the odd greyhound. :rant:

Geoff

milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:
HELLO John, would love to see some pics of your old lurchers pleaseeeee :thumbsup: and yes grews have been racing for at least 4 decades, and according to a recent post the odd greyhound. :rant:

Geoff

I will put some photos of my lot when my son shows me how to do it, i only have one working dog now, i,m getting too old to get a young dog, JOHN

OLD HUNTER said:
milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:

Geoff

I will put some photos of my lot when my son shows me how to do it, i only have one working dog now, i,m getting too old to get a young dog, JOHN

Looking forward to seeing them :thumbsup:

welcome to k9 ,

There are exceptions, some really good lurchers have won racing, (i mean other than whipxgrey) i have owned two good dogs, one was greyxwhipxsalukix deerhound and the other one greyxwhipxkelpiexcollie, both won their fair share of racing, coursing the latter got runner up in 8 dog stake against whipxgrey and got beaten by a very good dog from cornwall, a lot of greyxcollies have won racing

best wishes

Debbie

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to race whippets back in the early 70.s, and they had to be under 21in, or they were classed as no limit scrach dogs, i cant see any harm in racing near pure dogs, but do you think they should have rough and smooth classes, just to give the others a chance, one of my old dogs is 7/8 greyhound 1/8 bedlington, she has a smooth coat, and is nearly pure, i wish she was a good few years younger, she mite have had half a chance, by the way i dont think he would have beaten the dog on here called Colt, he is a fine looking dog, you can tell he is not pure, he has a bit of something in him, he has NOT got a head of a greyhound, FINE DOG, John,

OLD HUNTER said:
I used to race whippets back in the early 70.s, and they had to be under 21in, or they were classed as no limit scrach dogs, i cant see any harm in racing near pure dogs, but do you think they should have rough and smooth classes, just to give the others a chance, one of my old dogs is 7/8 greyhound 1/8 bedlington, she has a smooth coat, and is nearly pure, i wish she was a good few years younger, she mite have had half a chance, by the way i dont think he would have beaten the dog on here called Colt, he is a fine looking dog, you can tell he is not pure, he has a bit of something in him, he has NOT got a head of a greyhound, FINE DOG, John,
As she had a sex change? (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
OLD HUNTER said:
[SIZE=21pt]Quite agree with you, stormydog has good dogs, when i get back into racing gonna whoop him :- " [/SIZE]

milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:

HA ha missed the S of she, only had a pc 6 months i done think i,m doing that bad, mind you i,ve opened a few emails i should,nt of, and bid on ebay and missed the dot out of 1.00 pound, JOHN

OLD HUNTER said:
milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:

HA ha missed the S of she, only had a pc 6 months i done think i,m doing that bad, mind you i,ve opened a few emails i should,nt of, and bid on ebay and missed the dot out of 1.00 pound, JOHN

:lol: what club did you race your whippets with and what was their racing names?

milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:
milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:

:lol: what club did you race your whippets with and what was their racing names?

I raced at blackhall, and Wheatley Hill, they used to use a old barbers wheel at Wheatley hill, my whippets was called Boxer And Blue ribbon, they also used to race round Wheatley hill greyhound track on the sunday after noon, not many clubs open now, i went past Horden whippets a bout a year ago, there was only 5 dogs turned up, shame, JOHN

OLD HUNTER said:
milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:
milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:

I raced at blackhall, and Wheatley Hill, they used to use a old barbers wheel at Wheatley hill, my whippets was called Boxer And Blue ribbon, they also used to race round Wheatley hill greyhound track on the sunday after noon, not many clubs open now, i went past Horden whippets a bout a year ago, there was only 5 dogs turned up, shame, JOHN

Theres an open on at Horden next saturday, you might see some old faces.

chris

OLD HUNTER said:
milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:

Geoff

any pics yet :- "

mutley said:
OLD HUNTER said:
milly said:
OLD HUNTER said:

Geoff

any pics yet :- "

STILL WAITING FOR MY SON TO PUT SOME UP, DOWNLOADED PHOTO BUCKET, BUT STILL NOT A CLUE WHAT IM DOING, JOHN

I am sure you will know Ricky Bentley then ..

Whats your surname John i will ask ricky if he know you :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back