The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw chicken wings etc

Cash_Dolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey all

I began to introduce some RAW feeding to my two whippets a few months back. I still include some wainwrights salmon kibble as I find it helps keep a bit of weight on them (Dolly in particular is a very slight little thing) but they get tripe, chicken, beef etc raw. I have read a bit about feeding raw chicken wings etc and wondered if anyone can advise on this? Do you just pick them up from the butchers and literally put them in the dogs bowl? And are there any others you can suggest that require a bit more "work" for the dogs. I have read about chicken necks also? I presume its best to pick up from the Butcher rather than a supermarket?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello,

I am a raw feeder and have fed raw for 35 to 40 years.

My answer to your our question about raw chicken wings is that you can either buy them from a supermarket (the economy ones are fine) or from a butcher.

. Chicken carcases are also fine and of course or chicken or duck necks.(probably best from the butcher).

Natures Menu sell convenient sized bags of frozen chicken wings/necks too.

I have never had any problems with the dogs eating any raw bones of any description and chicken is fine.

leave all the skin and fat on as this adds to the fantastic benefits of this raw product.

Just put into the bowl and use as part of the daily rations.

I would never suggest that the bone is held while the dog learns to chew it. I always worry at the thought that if the dog were able to snatch it away form the person holding it they may try to swallow it too quickly.

A dog left to discover this fantastic food without any interference will be quiet safe.

I start puppies on raw wings and carcases at 5 weeks and have never had a problem.

You should be able to stop all kibble and maintain good weight with a raw diet only. Continue to increase the meat.and decrease the kibble untill you find the amount of raw that suits your dog.

Have fun feeding raw ! Best wishes.

I'm really interested in this - nutrition is a big area of interest for me. When I had dogs growing up, we were always told chicken bones could splinter, catch in their throat and generally should be avoided. I am tempted to feed raw for the health benefits but this puts me off a little. Also, we spend a good part of our time travelling to France and I'm not sure of availability of raw food there, and I don't want to have to change back and forth between diets. But I'd like to give wings as a treat. Any advice Excuseme? And Cash_dolly, sorry for hijacking your post! x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello JoanneF,

Chicken wings as a treat would be fantastic!

It is the cooked bones that splinter and are so dangerous.

Raw are absolutely fine, they are "soft" when raw.

My vet 100% supports raw feeding and feeds his own dogs raw too, he says NEVER give a cooked bone of any kind but anything raw is absolutely fine.

Raw rabbit / pheasant/ chicken, on the bone all fine too.

I'm sure that when you holliday in France there will be supermarkets or some sort of shops that sell raw meat. Maybe you could do some research in advance.

Human raw will do no harm although long term animal/dog quality meats would be best.

Another suggestion;

The other option would be to use a little good quality grain free kibble so that your dogs stomach remains used to this and then use it when you travel. I would suggest "Acana" it does however contain some oats but also veg and herbage, this also keeps the "richness" down quiet a lot too.(do not over feed it though) My adults love it, it can be fed alongside raw feeding with both adults and puppies. Absolutely no problem. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. His current food is 26% dehydrated lamb (there are salmon and duck versions too), 18% fresh lamb, 15% sweet potato, 14% potato, then chicken and salmon oils, alfalfa, peas, linseed, seaweed, pumpkin, carrots, apple and herbs, with prebiotics and glucosamine. It seems to have quite good ingredients, properly listed rather than the vague 'animal derivatives'! Looking forward to trying him on wings though.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back