The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw Chicken Wings

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I found a really good shop that sells turkey. You can buy the necks & they're HUGE. I have given them to the dogs a few times & you should see their eyes light up. The turkey necks look like ahem....very very large ....um mens appendages. It's quite disconcerting to see the dogs chewing them up with such vigour!

Linda

kirislin said:
Lida, chickens most definitely have bones in their necks.  Little though they are, they're still there.  Otherwise the poor little chookies would walk around dragging their heads in the mud...or whatever.I read somewhere that all animals have 7 vertebrae in their necks, even giraffes.

Linda

:D EEEEEEEEhhhhhm... meant to say; The vertebrae are however made of cartilage rather than a bone. At leats in a young birds , later they may harden into a more solid bones. In any case there is no possibility to splinter into long needle like shards as longer bones can. Actually, have to admit couldn't think how to spell "cartilage", thought people will know what I meant. :b

Wherre do you get the turkey necks Linda? I get necks and wings from "chemical free" chickens, but wouldn't mind to give them something else for a change.

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
stark said:
hi , i definetly would not give my dogs raw chicken unless i new for sure it was fresh , i know of two dogs that have died from eating chicken with  salmonela .so i wouldent risk it .

Cooking already salmonela infected food is not going to help, if there is already enough of the toxin. You just have to make sure the food you give to your dogs is fresh. That is why I buy my meat from a butcher, transport it in an esky with freezer bricks, freeze it immediately in daily rations, and feed as soon as it is defrosted.

Raw Chicken wings ok, cooked rib bones, no - raw rib bones yes.

I always freeze my chicken etc first. I know it's really only the beef that has the nasties that can be killed by freezing, but it's for my own peace of mind so I freeze everything before feeding it to them.

Dogs actually can cope with Salmonella unless it's really really bad, and in reality with all the cr*p they pick up off the ground they have more chance of getting from there (I believe bird dropping can carry it - but I could be thinking of something else) than they can from raw chicken.

Chicken necks are fantastic. I did have a source who would give me a few every week, but over the summer he hasnt' had any so I've given up going to get them. The dogs LOVE them though so I really need to try to find some. We have turkey neck chunks from AMP, and the Whippets do okay on them, but Chelsea throws up bone bits if she has them 2 days in a row - not sure why.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Big "YES" from us to chicken wings! And even bigger to chicken necks!

As I mentioned in the BARF topic, here are some our tips:

Do not feed raw meat/bones and kibble at the same time. They both have different process of digestion-tummy upseting...

Teach your dig 'to chew'. I started with chicken necks - holding them in my hand while my dogs chewed on them. Eventually, the dogs will get the idea of chewing and not gulping the entire stuff. (Great dental savings for the future! :thumbsup: )

If you are just starting with raw food (or simply chicken wings) - it is a good idea to start wioth chiken necks and slowly introduce the wings. I used to remove the skin from the wings for the first week or two - it contains fat that can also upset the tummies. (It was for my whippie pup - her stomach responds to even tiniest amounts of fat/oil.)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back