The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw Food For Puppies?

rik

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Just a quick question. Can you feed raw food to a 6 month puppy or would it be better to wait? Thanks for the help in advance.

Yes you can feed raw/bone to a 6 month old...... my last pup I bought aged 8 weeks old, I saw the 'junk' the breeder was feeding and saw the pup pooing and it came out the same way as it went in and so changed her food immediately ( as I was not about to feed her the same junk) Not something I would advise changing a food over like that as pup is stressed on leaving mum/litter but I know what I am doing with dog nutrition.
My litters were brought up on raw, so one of the first things they got was minced rabbit or a chicken wing.... as I had a waiting list I knew the new owners and only one pup was going to someone wishing to feed kibble, so I brought her up on orijen...all pups left with a two week supply of the food they wer eating

Last edited:
Haven't seen @excuseme around for a while but she always recommends 'Honeys' raw feeding guide, really cheap on Amazon.. definately worth a read;)

I am still around @Flobo we just seem very busy at the moment!
A 6 month puppy can be easily changed over to a raw diet with bones too.
When I have puppies they are weaned straight onto raw at 2 to 3 weeks, bones are offered from 5 weeks. Raw is easily digested and no tummy upsets either.
The last puppy that we bought at 8 weeks of age was changed over from kibble to raw within 2 days. Her body condition improved rapidly and her coat began to shine.

As mentioned by @Flobo my favourite book to recommend is the "Honey's Natural Raw feeding Handbook for Dogs. This is only a little book but it is easy to read and understand.
It is a useful little book for both newbees and regular feeders of the raw product.

Can be purchased on Amazon and I have just purchased 2 of these books from Ebay for as little as £4.26 for the two. These are sometimes new books, sold at a used price.

Don't wait to start feeding, you can start straight away. ENJOY:D

Do let us know how you get on with it.

What raw food would you recommend in starting with?
We have a cockapoo coming home in September, I’m keen to introduce a raw diet

I changed our last puppy that we bought within 2 days from kibble to raw.
Our puppy had exactly the same as the adults which could vary from day to day, only difference was frequency and daily amount.
Chicken may be easiest or tripe. Don't forget you will need bone for the calcium and various offal.

Do consider the little book from "Honey's" that is mentioned earlier in this post

Enjoy.

There's a lot of info on raw feeding here: Raw feeding Are you interested in a DIY approach, or would you prefer a 'complete' raw food to start off with? Either way, I'd still include some bones, for the benefit of the teeth.

Personally I wouldn't introduce raw for, say, a week or two after pup arrives, but keep it on the food it's used to. Then you can check that its digestion is working OK, and if the change of environment does upset its stomach, it would have time to settle. And then, when you do switch, you can assume that any changes are likely to be related to the change in diet.

Yes you can feed raw/bone to a 6 month old...... my last pup I bought aged 8 weeks old, I saw the 'junk' the breeder was feeding and saw the pup pooing and it came out the same way as it went in and so changed her food immediately ( as I was not about to feed her the same junk) Not something I would advise changing a food over like that as pup is stressed on leaving mum/litter but I know what I am doing with dog nutrition.
My litters were brought up on raw, so one of the first things they got was minced rabbit or a chicken wing.... as I had a waiting list I knew the new owners and only one pup was going to someone wishing to feed kibble, so I brought her up on orijen...all pups left with a two week supply of the food they wer eating
Thank you for this post, I am just changing my pup (6 months old now) on to orijen ( I am moving her over by 25% of new food for two days and then 50% for two days and the 75% for two days)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back