The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw, homemade or shop bought?

liz&Obi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I have a little JRT call Obi. He is 20 weeks old. Recently he has had a bad tummy and was pooping blood, he is better now but since being back on his normal food (butchers puppy) he seems uninterested In mealtimes. He eats but it takes a while and he often leaves it and will go back a few times to eat it.
While he was poorly he was on chicken and rice and he loved it. I know that it hasn't got all the nutrients he needs so he can't have that as regular food.
Does anyone have any advice on what the best food is? I was thinking of making it from scratch but I haven't got all the knowledge on what a good homecooked diet is.
Thanks in advance.

You'll find any number of different opinions on this (which is mainly because rigorous scientific studies haven't been done, so opiniions are mainly personal experience, educated guesses... and unedicated guesses!). In my opinion, a raw diet is really healthy, possibly the most healthy diet. It can be a bit daunting at first, but we have an article on it here: Raw feeding

Although I feed raw (have done for years) I think there are a few things to be considered when it comes to 'best food'

Firstly is what can you afford , and I will say raw often works out cheaper than commercial especially if you avoid the flash companies selling ready mixed meals supposedly tailor made to suit your dog.
Secondly what will your dog eat? Murphy was given a super doopa hypoallergenic dry food from our vet when he was a pup it was €70 a bag. He refused to touch it the vet said keep trying and he didnt eat for a couple of days!

Thirdly what is the best for your dog, I mean we know kids will eat hamburgers and chips til the cows come home but its not good for them so striking a balance between what you can afford what they will eat and whats most nutricious is something you have to work out because we are all individuals and so are our dogs.

Hi all,

I have a little JRT call Obi. He is 20 weeks old. Recently he has had a bad tummy and was pooping blood, he is better now but since being back on his normal food (butchers puppy) he seems uninterested In mealtimes. He eats but it takes a while and he often leaves it and will go back a few times to eat it.
While he was poorly he was on chicken and rice and he loved it. I know that it hasn't got all the nutrients he needs so he can't have that as regular food.
Does anyone have any advice on what the best food is? I was thinking of making it from scratch but I haven't got all the knowledge on what a good homecooked diet is.
Thanks in advance.
My dog loves butternut box in the microwave for 2 mins. It’s expensive but worth it. She’s very fussy

Andrew gatt - dog lover to my three dogs

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back