The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rearing A Pup!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Always let mine off the lead in a field on there own from 10 weeks. never let them off with other dogs even though they in the house with my other dogs. most of my dogs are under 20lb so fine dogs but it never hurts them help them get their legs. Makes it easier on my nerves schooling them knowing they have there legs from a young age. And the field I run them on isn't flat infact most people wouldn't use it but Non have ever hurt them selves. Good luck with your pup.
Why dont u let them do wot they wanna do, they will always find there selves out, let them free run thats the best way. no good in wrapping them up when they gonna have to get on that track with others, i found that out if u wrap them up too much they r very wary of other dogs, just my opinion Sue

I think if I didn't let Jenny free run she'd go insane! :lol: I'm also with Vicky on this one, give them plenty of free running, it doesn't just build up muscle but probably more importantly strengthens the muscles and ligaments that act as stabilisers whilst running. I really would avoid free running with strange dogs, grumpy ones run the risk of snapping out and daft playful ones I feel can encourage your dog to mess around whilst running at high speed.

I think if I didn't let Jenny free run she'd go insane! :lol: I'm also with Vicky on this one, give them plenty of free running, it doesn't just build up muscle but probably more importantly strengthens the muscles and ligaments that act as stabilisers whilst running. I really would avoid free running with strange dogs, grumpy ones run the risk of snapping out and daft playful ones I feel can encourage your dog to mess around whilst running at high speed.
That sounds familiar :-

My two were out and about off lead with the gang as soon as they'd had their jabs (the 2 weeks carrying Freya whilst Lucy was allowed on the ground were murder :sweating: ). I also have a big back garden which is an ideal puppy racetrack, not to mention the 2 cars and trailer tent that need to be raced around (or under). They have raced in lines and circles, jumped on and off the sofa as soon as they are big enough to climb up under their own steam, got themselves up and down stairs, on and off the beds. They've also bumped into door frames, cars, banged themselves getting under the cars/trailer, been stepped on by dogs and people and Lucy's recent trick, knocking the ironing board over and having the iron land on her.

I'm sure there was an study somewhere in Australia about young racehorses and the importance of them being out in the field running around rather than boxed in order to increase their bone density making breaks and fractures less likely when it comes to galloping and serious training. Will see if I can find it.

Thanks for this Fleesh!

I had always supected this might be the case with greyhounds and I thought the same would apply to whippets or indeed any other pup.

I still can't help being a bit nervous about it all even though on balance it is probably doing him good. I can't wait until he starts racing though but by all accounts I shouldn't start for another 6 or 7 months yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pup which is 7 months old now, but when she was younger i was scared to let her off the lead and even scared of letting her out with my other dogs one reason being shes really small and they are big (31lb whippet and an english bull terrier) i used to keep her on her own but in the end i found it more difficult keeping her seperate as all she wanted to do was play with them.

I just had to be brave and let be.

Now i have the pup,my whippet,the english bull terrier and my 2 kids all running riot its like a mad house here haha.

We get the odd bang and the screaming dog (or kid) but thats all part of the fun.

My pup today ran up the stairs and decided it didnt have to walk down em she jumped down from the middle and ended up on 3 legs but 10 mins later and shes running wild again on all 4's pups are just really mardy,like kids rub it better and they'll be fine.

I would say its alot easier letting the pup be a pup and like someone said its like having extra kids.

we dont let ours run off the leads together when out walking tho just because they all get carried away and end up doing what they want and not listening to us.

I'm sure my mum will reply on here aswell telling you how bad i was with mine and i've had whippets 22 years lol

Prior the opening of ghd race tracks coursing was the sport associated with ghds. It was common practice for litters of these coursing ghds to be moved once weaned to farms Scotland or Northumbria where the pups would be kept in a barn and turfed out in the mornings to run free as they pleased and only return for their feed at night. If the owner found the dogs locked up in the day they'd move them elsewhere. The belief was that the free running was needed for proper physical and mental developement of the dog.

Once mine have had their jabs walking starts and they're are off lead once away from the roads from day 1. Of course they run into each other, trees, fences etc but they're not going fast as pups and they soon learn to be careful. It's better in my view they have their knocks as pups at 10mph than wait until they're adults and start learning about hitting stuff when they're doing 40mph.

I'd agree that proper physical developement is enhanced by free running and they're not just race machines anyway, they deserve to enjoy some freedom.

Dont i know how you feel bringin up 2 at the moment 1nearly 15wks and 1nearly 10wks, after all the pups i have had over 20yrs i should be used it. Kai used to use the back of the settee as THE WALL OF DEATH how that little dog never injured him self as a pup i will never know. We walk them after last injection build it up a bit then free run on their own no other dogs about to distract them, i am chicken first time their let off i shut my eyes. Good luck .

I have found out that whippet's never grow up :lol:

Robbie still does the wall of death on the sofa and still goes upstairs at 100 mph. We though he had broken his knee about 3 years ago, trying to be the first to bed, he slipped and hit his knee on the stair, but he was okay :D ,,Robbie is 8 now and still a puppy at heart :clown:

Robbie ran into door's, kennel, walls, fell down the stairs (well kinda surfed them),,he was the pup from hell. You can not wrap them in cotton wool,,I tried with Robbie,,but he still hurt himself and still does :clown:

Gizmo (Robbie's son) was the same,,he ran into the coffee table at 10 weeks,,I thought his shoulder was broken, but it was chipped,,and the table was moved to the wall, not in the middle of the lounge :eek:

Pup's soon learn, but Robbie never and never will :eek:

Hi,

I didn't start this thread, but I have lapped up the advice and experiences given.

It's preparing me for when I eventually get my first whippet pup.

My two terriers have always done the "whacky races" around the house - from room to room

stopping in the middle of the room, only to speed off on their circuit again - the thought of a whippet doing it - I can understand the fright of Nubian!

Good luck with all the pups on here!

I'm sure there was an study somewhere in Australia about young racehorses and the importance of them being out in the field running around rather than boxed in order to increase their bone density making breaks and fractures less likely when it comes to galloping and serious training. Will see if I can find it.
It's not just Oz and racehorses if it's the one I think it's about preventing 'bucked shins'?

There's a lot of evidence out there that mild exertion together with adequate rest builds increased bone density. Increased bone density is not only desirable it the athlete, it's also beneficial in preventing arthritis.

Short durations of medium to high impact exercise does cause minor damage within the bone but with adequate rest, the bone is able to remodel and thus increase it's density. It sounds scary but it's no different than building up muscle mass which is what our youngsters do when they really start stretching out on their runs.

Just as it's beneficial to exercise it's also equally beneficial to ensure puppy gets plenty of rest too. Like most things, common sense applies. :thumbsup:

Eeeek Jac I posted that over a year ago and I must have read about the study about four years ago now. I'm suprised I can even remember it!!!

All I can recall is that is was a study that took place in Australia, involving young racehorses and as part of it they were comparing the bone density in horses that were reared using different methods.

turn them loose thats why there called running dogs there for bred to run

when they had there jabs turn them loose as milly say they soon learn the dangers

keep them on a lead till 12mrhs that when they hit thing because they dont no nodifference

or how to stop and turn away from things

greyhounds in ireland or any decent trainer have them all running together used dont learn to use your legs fasten up on a lead :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back