The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Recommend A Book

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
whippetsrus said:
kris said:
i knew about what went on in china as id read a book about it.in china after the revolution they would not admit to outside authorities that communism wasnt working and the revolution a failure.people starved literally in their millions.chinas leaders would not go to the outside world for help.so its people starved to death.ive seen pictures and read a really good informative book (which was a few years ago and i cant remember the title though it wasnt as a biography)families ate their youngest children who died.they also ate their elderly parents.cannibalism was practiced after they eaten all the animals,boiled grass, and ate soil.it was a harrowing but enlightening read.just shows that some governments leaders will never admit when theyre wrong,despite the suffering of its peoples. :(

Would recommend that you read Wild Swans by Jung Chang. She has also just written a biography of Mao which is now in paperback as seems to be getting good reviews.

ive read it hun! :thumbsup: good read too.ive read a few books written by women from a womans point of view like the princess books by the saudi princess who exposed what went on behind palace walls.

Your fan has really cooled me down......................................Thanks Kris, I have a very vivid imagination :lol:

kris said:
whippetsrus said:
kris said:
i knew about what went on in china as id read a book about it.in china after the revolution they would not admit to outside authorities that communism wasnt working and the revolution a failure.people starved literally in their millions.chinas leaders would not go to the outside world for help.so its people starved to death.ive seen pictures and read a really good informative book (which was a few years ago and i cant remember the title though it wasnt as a biography)families ate their youngest children who died.they also ate their elderly parents.cannibalism was practiced after they eaten all the animals,boiled grass, and ate soil.it was a harrowing but enlightening read.just shows that some governments leaders will never admit when theyre wrong,despite the suffering of its peoples. :(

Would recommend that you read Wild Swans by Jung Chang. She has also just written a biography of Mao which is now in paperback as seems to be getting good reviews.

ive read it hun! :thumbsup: good read too.ive read a few books written by women from a womans point of view like the princess books by the saudi princess who exposed what went on behind palace walls.

Try Not Without my Daughter by Betty Mahmoody. A different but similar book about an american lady who marries an iranian doctor. It was made into a film a few years ago with Sally Field but it really did not do the book any justice.

whippetsrus said:
kris said:
whippetsrus said:
kris said:

Try Not Without my Daughter by Betty Mahmoody. A different but similar book about an american lady who marries an iranian doctor. It was made into a film a few years ago with Sally Field but it really did not do the book any justice.

I read that a few years back, a real eye opener

whippetsrus said:
kris said:
whippetsrus said:
kris said:

oooops!sorry hun,i read that years ago too and i saw the film with sally fields. :oops: (put it down to the fact that ive been around a while!) (w00t) :lol:

joanna glad the fans working and has kept you cool. :sweating: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup:

Joanna said:
Well I have finally finished Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.I enjoyed the story which is based in the Languedoc region of France. It is two stories which are linked by a secret, another slant on the Grail. One story is set in medieval France and focuses on the Crusaders and the persecution of heretics, and the modern day element is about a young woman who helps out on a dig and discovers a pair of skeletons.

The book is very long and I did get a bit muddled with names and places at one stage, this is because I read it in bed when I was tired. This week-end, I have really gone for it and read the remaining third in the shade of the garden in the day. I would recommend reading it when you're not tired as it came alive for me then :wacko:

If any-one fancies reading it, I will pass on my copy to the them. First come first served, it has wine stains on it and guacamole splodge :oops: It would be nice to think it could get passed on and on until it falls apart :thumbsup:

Jo x

The book has been relocated..........Enjoy Yvonne :thumbsup:

Just had a spending spree at Amazon....again :rolleyes:

Thought I'd get some of the ones recommended here.

The Analyst (Joanna's tip and the Amazon reviews were good too)

Because I fancied a bit of SF and I've never read this author before - The Neuromancer by William Gibson (Beejay's recommendation )

and A Question of Evidence - not sure who recommended that but it looks good.

So thanks you lot - I look forward to a good read :cheers:

Judy said:
Just had a spending spree at Amazon....again  :rolleyes:

Because I fancied a bit of SF and I've never read this author before - The Neuromancer by William Gibson (Beejay's recommendation )

and A Question of Evidence - not sure who recommended that but  it looks good.

So thanks you lot - I look forward to a good read  :cheers:

I'm not the only one, then, that has spending sprees on amazon. How do you find the quality of their delivery these days?

whippetsrus said:
Judy said:

I'm not the only one, then, that has spending sprees on amazon. How do you find the quality of their delivery these days?

Amazon seem to change depending on time of year. I tend to order loads of stuff at once to get the Supersaver delivery thingy so they don't ship it as quickly but I often seen to get stuff sooner than the delivery estimate. Just before christmas they are super fast. I think they must have extra staff then because I can order stuff one day and it arrives the next even on supersaver delivery.

Have you had problems then?

Judy said:
whippetsrus said:
Judy said:

Amazon seem to change depending on time of year. I tend to order loads of stuff at once to get the Supersaver delivery thingy so they don't ship it as quickly but I often seen to get stuff sooner than the delivery estimate. Just before christmas they are super fast. I think they must have extra staff then because I can order stuff one day and it arrives the next even on supersaver delivery.

Have you had problems then?

Sometimes. Not sure whether it is amazon or the post. I am usually alright on supersaver but if I choose 1st class I have problems.

Well...... ordered Tuesday, shipped Wednesday, deliverd Thursday. All with free delivery. So not bad at the moment :)

Just got to finish the book I'm reading now and then decide which one to read first :unsure: Its a hard life :p

FREE BOOK!!!!

I've got a copy of 'The Analyst' by John Katzenbach, as recommended on here.

It needs a new home; only read once, in very good condition.

PM me your address and I'll pass it on - first come first read :lol: :lol:

Just finished Scared to Live by Stephen Booth. The latest in a series of detective novels set in the beautiful Peak District. Based in a fictitious (?SP) town but travelling through Bakewell Matlock Cromford and all places in between.

The book is based on smuggling from Bulgaria and the introduction of a bulgarian police man into the mix. Oh there are also a couple or four murders and a Psychotic suspect and the Heights of Abraham and the lights in Matlock Bath.

Overall an enjoyable summer read that can be picked up and put down several times. Not a heavy book - in fact anyone 'thinking' would wonder why the police in Derbyshire are so thick. :oops:

i love the area round there dawn, matlock bath,heights of abraham, buxton,glosspo etc.we used to do a lot of the markets round there in the summer.we did buxton once in the winter......................never again!talk about being snowed in!

kris said:
i love the area round there dawn, matlock bath,heights of abraham, buxton,glosspo etc.we used to do a lot of the markets round there in the summer.we did buxton once in the winter......................never again!talk about being snowed in!
One of our favourite haunts, apart from GLOSSPO, :- "

keith :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
kris said:
One of our favourite haunts, apart from GLOSSPO, :- "

keith :thumbsup:

You do need to be a littel mixde up to liev in Glosspo (could almost be the Bulgarian version I suppose).

i read somewhere once that buxton has the highest rate of incest in the uk (its cos they get snowed up in the winters apparently) (w00t) league of gentlemen county! :oops:

Sacred Stone Clive Cussler & Craig Dirgo Dont Waste ANYONES money on this load of rubbish.

Having gotten into Clive Cussler with his books on the adventures of Dirk Pitt I looked forward to the 'Numa / Oregon Files' what a let down.

badly constructed badly written and a total waste of paper.

Try Body Double by Tess Gerritsen. I was hooked from the beginning. Fast paced and unputdownable. :cheers:

ive bought loads of tess gerritson books since daughter jac told me about them :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back