The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Reduce Distress When Letting Pups Go?

ian_in_the_midlands

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It is getting to the time when we must think about letting our pups go to their new homes. (See my earlier posts and http://www.amyspups.co.nr).

Although they are weaned, Amy still spends a lot of time with her pups.

They still have the occasional feed.

What is the best way to seperate the pups to reduce stress to the mother?

well my bitch's always seemed to know when that time was right as they would come out of the box and lay on the settee, going back only when she thought fit but, having said that some bitch's are different...mine were little greedy thinsg and loved their mumys milk :)

Annie loved her pups never left them even though thet pulled her to bits shes a big softy but she was fine when they left they went in stages so she adapted well she still let them get a frink from her when she seen them 2 weeks later and washed them but she was fine

I'm sure she will be fine, plus you are keeping one so it's not like she's had a big litter and suddenly they are all gone.

Hope you don't mind me nicking this pic Ian, i think they're bloody stunning

1.JPG

And for anyone who doesn't know, these are Red Ranger x Lurcher pups

Vicky said:
I'm sure she will be fine, plus you are keeping one so it's not like she's had a big litter and suddenly they are all gone.
Hope you don't mind me nicking this pic Ian, i think they're bloody stunning

1.JPG

And for anyone who doesn't know, these are Red Ranger x Lurcher pups

all adorable but love the one on the left

TAKE HER AWAY FROM THEM SOON AS AND GET HER BACK TO WOT SHE IS USE TO GET HER MIND OFF THEM.

:luck: awww they r gorgoeus good luck with them

Ian, I'd be more worried about the distress it's going to cause you parting with those :wub:

As Vicky says it's a small litter and you're keeping one anyway. Mothers don't in my experience suffer too much distress as the pups leave which is often a staggered afair in any case.

I think you've done a cracking job with this litter. :thumbsup:

God Ian they're damn cute!!! :wub: I think it's you rattling and I wouldn't blame you if you kept all of them!! (w00t) :p

Jac

depends on the mothers temperament, really, as well age/ annoyance factors of the pups! ambers 1st litter, 7 pups, the first one to go was really missed. the next not so much etc etc. 2nd litter, 4 pups, she didnt bat an eye when the first couple went, and actually became rather bothered when axle and purdey stayed: kept on giving me these looks, like : mum, when ARE they going to go? pleeeeeease! glad they all settled down eventually, although when both amber and purdey came in to season at the same time, it got a little hairy as purdey decided she'd like to be top dog, seeing as how she was now a 'grown up'!

Thank you all for for your advice.

It sounds like we are going to miss them more than Amy, and I am probably worried about nothing. That would explain why I could find little advice on the net.

Thanks also for your comments.

I think they are all healthy well adjusted pups, and should make good dogs.

If anyone is interested, we might do it again in another 5 years - once we have forgotten how much work is involved.

Vicky and Tony: Thanks for your help and advice. If you are going to Peover next summer we will probably see you there. Keep an eye out for Amy and a grey lurcher with a white throat.

Ian & Alison.

#

lalena said:
depends on the mothers temperament, really, as well age/ annoyance factors of the pups! ambers 1st litter, 7 pups, the first one to go was really missed. the next not so much etc etc. 2nd litter, 4 pups, she didnt bat an eye when the first couple went, and actually became rather bothered when axle and purdey stayed: kept on giving me these looks, like : mum, when ARE they going to go? pleeeeeease! glad they all settled down eventually, although when both amber and purdey came in to season at the same time, it got a little hairy as purdey decided she'd like to be top dog, seeing as how she was now a 'grown up'!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back