The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rehydration for gippy tum.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm always a bit cautious about creams and what parts they are used on.
We had a vet many years ago who advised that creams attract dirt and debris. I would stick with your salt water rinses for the foot. The Lucillin spray would probably be better than cream on the foot.

Appreciate that, excuseme. I’d definitely steer clear of anything with a consistency denser than water. Unfortunately I don’t always have it to hand so a standby squirt of leucillin would be reassuring. I’m turning into a hypochondriac. I’ve got a Covid jab coming up so I’m looking for Judy Garland CDs.

I used to use lavender oil. Use it a lot on myself too.

We have Flu jabs this week, no covid appointments yet!

Mum and dad have had their covid and flu jabs ...
I keep a pot of syptic powder..great for torn claws or nails

We have a girl with a broken toe at the moment. Husband asked if she could have a plaster cast on it:rolleyes:, the vet said NO:D
No blood involved or broken claws just a very limpy dog with a tiny broken bone.:oops:

We have a girl with a broken toe at the moment. Husband asked if she could have a plaster cast on it:rolleyes:, the vet said NO:D
No blood involved or broken claws just a very limpy dog with a tiny broken bone.:oops:
:(

Me too.

Tell husband that if he broke a finger or toe he wouldn't get a plaster cast either!

Comfrey is known as "knitbone" so if you want to go that route, might be worth contacting a veterinary herbalist or homeopath. I've used it homeopathically on my fractures and medics were astounded at the healing rate. But in any case, doggie should be feeling better very soon. It's such a worry when they are hurt, isn't it?

Thank you @Hemlock. I will look into that.
My Senior vet who has stepped back from front line practice "Mark Elliott" , would often use homeopathic remedies, this was sometimes along side the conventional treatment and sometimes alone. Oh how I miss him!

She is having RRA with Arnica mix three times daily. Hopefully it will take the edge off the discomfort just a little.. She still enjoys her walkies but remains safely close to us. She is such a brave girl;)
@Hemlock where is the best place to get the "Comfrey / Knitbone" from, does it come in a pill form?

I used to get it for my dogs from Mark, but for myself from Ainsworths Pharmacy. Note that the latter is not allowed to supply remedies for animals. Perhaps a Search for veterinary homeopathy might help, and Dorwest Herbs I believe supply some homeopathic remedies and are licenced to sell them for veterinary use.

I’ve just picked this up. I trust her treatment’s progressing well.

Yes, thank you.
She is putting weight on the foot, will jump on and off of chairs, landing on 3 feet but very quickly back onto 4, up and down stairs. It is amazing how well she has managed with the break over the first week. The vet said she will be ready for our beating season at the beginning of November.

Yes, thank you.
She is putting weight on the foot, will jump on and off of chairs, landing on 3 feet but very quickly back onto 4, up and down stairs. It is amazing how well she has managed with the break over the first week. The vet said she will be ready for our beating season at the beginning of November.
That’s good news. Mabel’s taking things very quietly - her intermittent gippy tummy has returned and her limp seems to be from her shoulder and not her foot. I’ll bring her check up forward. For the time being I’ve taken her off raw and put her on dry food which she has accepted.

We’re (almost) back to square one re Mabel’s gippy tum. Currently in Portscatho for a week and she’s been on Iams predominantly. At the start of the week I was adding a tiny amount of Lily’s Kitchen canned food to the Iams to make it more interesting but the squits continued so I just gave her Iams and Bonios. Her motions improved but, rather stupidly, I gave her a Good Boy Chewy Chicken with Carrot Stick last evening with the result that she got me up at 04.30 this morning for a quick visit to the garden (squits). Until the problem can be resolved I’ll put her on kibble and Bonios but, as she’s a foodie (and Iams seem boring) can anyone recommend a nutritious and tasty dry food?

Did the squits start up again after you went away? Could stress, or even a change in water, be a factor?

Did the squits start up again after you went away? Could stress, or even a change in water, be a factor?
No, JudyN. It seems to follow any introduction of a wet food or (currently) anything other than Iams and/or Bonios. She’s not stressed and seems so well and happy. As you may know she suffers a seasonal allergy (grass/pollen) - could that have developed to a gastric problem?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back