The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Remember Fletch?

markE

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was on here a while back looking for a whippet pup, which i got. Ive hardly had a chance to post since getting him, as im sure you'll know why. Its quite time consuming. But i said i would let anyone who was interested, know of his progress, and i could also do with some more advice, so i'll set a few things down and hope i get some responses.

Well he is doing great. He is well walked and eats enough seemingly, as well as sleeping like nothing ive known before. He seems intelligent and is the most loving and affectionate dog ive ever seen. I cant believe my/our luck.

He hasnt messed in the house since the first week we had him. At first we got him to go in the garden, and now we are trying to get him to go when out walking, which he sometimes does. But more often than not he waits until after weve walked him and he goes when he gets home, and back in the garden, which is a bit dissapointing. Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this as we'd prefer to keep the garden relatively muck free.

He was quite nervous when first out walking, especially of traffic, but now he's settling a bit more. He is far more obedient than i expected. He comes when called (although i havnt had him off the lead much when other dogs are around so if he is distracted this may change), he sits, is house trained (not garden), and actually waits for me when i ask him to if he runs off ahead. Im quite flabbergasted that he does this. He is very inquisitive of other dogs, but very nervous also. If they show any signs of aggression or irritation when he nears them, he goes straight into the submissive backroll and is very scared. Im hoping in future, when i am confident enough to let him off the lead when other dogs are around, he will just approach and if they dont want to know, or if they go for him, he can use his pace to run off instead of rolling over. Does this sound right? Any tips would be welcomed.

He isnt a greedy dog at all. He often just eats small amounts and goes back to nibble from his bowl when hes peckish. The vet told me to take his food away and only give it at certain times, but as he doesnt finish it when its out, ive been tempted to leave it out in case he gets hungry. Am i right in doing this?

Should i expect a few disappointments in his behaviour when he gets off the lead more around other dogs?

Does anyone here use a dog whistle to get their whippet to come back if its off running? my vet said get one, is it worth it?

Am i just lucky, or are all whippets as fantastic as mine? (im sure you'll laugh at, but understand my point of view here)

I cannot seem to post pics so i'll email them to someone who said theyd do it for me. Hopefully they'll be up here soon.

thanks for listening. mark

Hi Mark congratulations on getting your pup, how old is he? He will learn to do his buisness when outside the garden he just needs time to get used to it thats all i think your doing very well that hes going in your garden and not the house after only a week. As for the food i would not leave it down all the time because dogs tend to get bored of it being there your best off offering him small amounts say breakfast, dinner tea and supper leave it for say 15 mins then throw it away till his next meal. If you feel comfy using a whistle then get one, whatever makes you feel that he"ll come back to you. Enjoy him and good luck.

ps whats his name?

thanks for the tips Paula, he's called Fletch, after Ronnie Barker. And thats aother thing, he hardly barks! The odd yelp and howl when his toy goes under the settee, but hardly a peep otherwise. We've had him almost a month now and he hasnt messed in the house since week 1. He's about 4 months old.

:D He sounds great! & I love his name :thumbsup: I'd love to see some pics of him.

[SIZE=8pt]Nice to hear you have got one at last.....[/SIZE]

We didnt hear Tilly (now 71/2 Months) bark at all for months then she found her voice. So thats normal.

Do you cage him at night or does he sleep wth you?? Cause im sure he will find his teeth soon too :- " and if he is on his own you will find things disapear and reapear as bits of chewed stuff....... :rant:

Good luck, pictures soon

He sounds an absolute angel - but then I think all blues are a bit more highly evolved than the others (judging by the differences between Josie and Lola :- " :lol: )

Here are some pics that MarkE sent me to post so everyone can see the lovely lad :wub:

View attachment 22676

fletch_crate.jpg

Mark, Fletch is adoooooooorable :wub: :wub: :wub: no wonder your so pleased with him and what a clever wee chap he sounds :thumbsup:

mark hes adorable. :wub: and such a good boy! o:) youre a lucky man! :)

Awww what a lovely blue boy you"ve got there, remember the thread now about his name, Fletch. :wub:

Ah, Fletch is beautiful! So glad you're enjoying him, sounds like he's started off really well...this is a lovely time, when you'll hopefully build the foundations of a long and happy friendship, and have loads of fun along the way! :)

Fletch is absolutey gorgeous,you must be very proud of him :wub:

Fletch is just so gorgeous!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: and a very well behaved boy too.

He sounds a lovely boy. :cheers: Congratulations. :cheers:

He is gorgeous :wub: :wub: and sounds very very normal to me, although Callie and sienna will go to the toilet while we are out, I think Spry would rather burst first, if we have been racing or such as soon as she gets home she will stand and wee for about 5 minutes because she's been saving it till then :eek:

At 4 months old I wouldn't worry too much about him picking at his food as long as he's getting enough, do you feed him just once a day as it may be better as he gets bigger to give him something on a morning then something on an evening sort of half it that way you can get him out of the habit of grazing, because by him doing this he won't be hungry when you put his food down for him because he's picking all the day, good luck with him he's lovely :wub: :wub:

Glad you got your dog Mark. He looks lovely. :D

What a lovely blue boy Fletch is :wub: and I love the picture in those gorgeous red leaves - he looks lovely. :thumbsup: is he related to Josie Helen ??

Last edited by a moderator:
what a lovely blue boy yoyu have :thumbsup:

sounds like he is doing great for 4 months :thumbsup:

good luck with him :luck:

Julie

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back