The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Remember Fletch?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Fletch is absolutely stunning, I am sooooooo envious! Love his colour.

Puppy rolling over when approached by adult dog is normal and correct thing to do in dog etiquette.

I do not know about you but i find it much easier to pick up dog droppings in our garden, with a pooper scooper and put it straight into compost, than collecting dog poo in plastic bags and carrying it with us for rest of the walk :x I actually encourage my girls to go before we leave for our walks.

Oh my lordy i'm in love :wub: :wub: :wub:

He is gorgeous. You are soooo lucky Mark :))

I WANT I WANT :p

What a beautiful dark blue he is - and what a handsome boy! :wub: :wub:

Fletch is just lovely, Mark, what is his breeding?

Janimal said:
What a lovely blue boy Fletch is  :wub:   and I love the picture in those gorgeous red leaves - he looks lovely. :thumbsup:     is he related to Josie Helen ??
Not that I know of, Janis but maybe Mark and I should compare breeding in case they are distant cousins :thumbsup:

:D He is a gorgeous blue boy! :thumbsup:

He's lovely...love that last photo...really nice!

Me again, just wondering about how much excercise my pup Fletch should be having. Hes around 4 months old.

He gets either a run on the beach or a walk in the woods every day, and a short walk late at night.

What im wondering is, can he get too much excercise? What is roughly the recommended amount for a pup his age.

I spoke to a lady yesterday and she said you have to be careful as they can get arthritis later in life if you give him too much too soon.

When he gets off the lead he plays around for about half an hour or so, running with other dogs or playing in general with us. Does this seem ok for his age?

markE said:
Me again, just wondering about how much excercise my pup Fletch should be having. Hes around 4 months old.
He gets either a run on the beach or a walk in the woods every day, and a short walk late at night.

What im wondering is, can he get too much excercise? What is roughly the recommended amount for a pup his age.

I spoke to a lady yesterday and she said you have to be careful as they can get arthritis later in life if you give him too much too soon.

When he gets off the lead he plays around for about half an hour or so, running with other dogs or playing in general with us. Does this seem ok for his age?

just popping this one back up to the top as im desperate to know whether im doing either not enough or too much in the way of exercise.

I wouldn't be exercising mine at all at only 4 months old!! They don't start going for walks until they are 6 months old and then they only go for a 10 - 15 minutes and gradually build up to our usual walk. I would also be feeding at least 3 meals a day cutting down to 2 when he is adult.

I use a whistle because I find it much more effective to recall the whippets, especially if they are off hunting. It seems to give them a much better direction on where you are, once they are in sight I then wave my arms and call/whistle.

Good luck with Fletch, hope you have lots of fun with him, he is a very handsome boy :wub:

:wub: Fletch is very beautiful and looks really cute, he sounds absolutely lovely.

Our Ella is 6 1/2 mths, will only poo in our garden, rolls over in submission, hardly ever barks like yours, never cries at night but isn't too good at recall and is not very food orientated, so puppy class training is proving a bit difficult, when everyone elses dog gives them undivided attention for a treat, Madam pleases herself after the 1st 15 mins as she's had enough treats and won't even sit when asked :b :- "

He looks gorgeous asleep in his cage :luck: and carry on enjoying him :thumbsup:

Yes , I agree with Dessie about the amount of exercise you are giving . Mine are nearly 6 months and go for a run with the `big boys and girls `only 3 times a week at most . I take them the odd small walk to get used to traffic etc , but not too far or too long . I suppose as you only have one dog 8) he dosnt get the play that several get :- "

I dont leave food down at all( With my lot it wouldnt last 2 mins anyway ) :lol: , once you start doing that , they get into a habit of `grazing ` and its hard to break.

handsome boy though :wub:

thanks again everyone, maybe ive been giving him too much excercise, i'll cut it down a bit. He loves to run when i let him off the lead, back and forth and he runs with other dogs when on the beach and is often looking very tired afterwards. Maybe instead of a daily beach walk i should make it around 3/4 times a week. But i'll conitinue his easier walk nightly, as it seems to help him settle for the night. Its only for about ten mins and theres a small stretch of grass where he can have a little run before going back on the lead.

Im not half glad this place is here, it really is a godsend for inexperienced owners like us.

Thanks, markE

Especially be careful of letting him run and rough play with larger, older dogs. It is so easy to damage the spine/pelvis and then you will have a puppy with ongoing lameness.

and be careful about letting him run after hes eaten :eek:

I agree with Dessie and Jax about the exercise,just think of him as a baby you would'nt expect a baby to walk too early as it can cause bone problems later in life.Fletch is exactly the same too much strain on his wee bones will have the same effect.

We too use a whistle,it is sooo much easier as the whistle travels farther ,I also think that they respond far better and quicker to it than voice,ours sit to a whistle blast also even at a distance.

He is a very handsome young man and I wish you all the best with him :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back