The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Reps Meeting

Jane Rankin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Does anyone know if there is going to be a WCRA Reps Meeting next year?

2008 or 2009 Jane

I had a letter from Paul the other day to say the 2008 one is cancelled due to lack of interest from the racers (ie: nothing for the agenda)

If anyone had known there was one arranged, perhaps there would have been more interest :( The secretary of our club knew nothing of one planned. You have to be there to bring up an item, how do you know if you can attend if you don't know the date? :( Oh well, there always next year.

Hi June

I recieved an e/mail from Paul C about 4 weeks ago (that had loads of Secretary's CC'd in)

it had on it the date of the talk in 19th January, it stated items for the agenda had to be with the Secretary by the 1st December and a copy of the agenda would be forwarded once compiled.

it also gave the dates of the 4 champs (confirmed) stated that the whippet club AGM was on the 22nd March asked for nominations for WCRA committee ect.

gave the new veteran groups for champs

N/Ex ~ 14-19lb, 20-25lb, 26-32lb.

and mentioned the whippet club show in January.

I didn't get one and I was still Sec. then. Was I CC'd? Maybe it bounced back but I definitely didn't get it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get one and I was still Sec. then. Was I CC'd? Maybe it bounced back but I definitely didn't get it.
Not still got the e/mail as I printed the letters off and deleted it.

I remember it having a load of Secretarys on it but I couldnt say 100% you were on it.

Thanks Mark :thumbsup: I didn't get the letter either but maybe that went to Lesley if it was in the last week or so and she's told Paul she's the new Sec.

There was a notice in the front of the programme for the 4th Champs about the Talk-in agenda so most people should really have known about it any way.

I didn't get the letter either but maybe that went to Lesley if it was in the last week or so and she's told Paul she's the new Sec
Sorry Judy I meant the letter was attached to the e/mail he sent about 4 weeks ago.

there again it doesnt matter when it was sent you didnt get it LOL :oops:

Thanks Sue for sending the copies. :cheers: Yes, my name was on both of them so they must both have bounced back I guess! Yours wasn't on there Hannah :blink:

Still, I can forward them on to Lesley now :D

I think that a question I had has now been answered. My question is.

Do the club sec's get a posted letter as well as an email? We all know that email's can get spam filtered out or lost so it's not that reliable a way to communicate.

I also do think that it is wrong that club sec's without internet access get their communications from the WCRA later than those with email. It must be a tad annoying when they get information via other club secs or through the grapevine before hearing it officially from the WCRA. I am a member of a club where the comment 'oh but it was on the internet, that's how we know about x happening', causes small explosions of annoyance amongst the non computer owning members. Oh course being me I don't manage to say at least 5 times per meeting 'On the internet it says this'. :p :lol:

Was the information on the WCRA bit of the WC website?

Hi All

Yes we saw the talk-in ad in the 4th Champ programme.

Yes we discussed it at EA committee meeting

Yes I email Paul with an item to be discussed and Jeanette Fage (the new EA Sec) had a second point to raise.

However, there seemed to be little interest form other affiliated clubs!

So my question is WHAT QUESTIONS WOULD YOU WISH TO RAISE - if there was a talk-in? May be we should have an on-line Talk-in or should we call it an Message-in? I'm fed up with looking about pics of Pups - lets get on to some meaty subjects!! ;)

I think it is a pity we are not having talk-in has I'll have to write about something else for Whippet News! :(

Rob, I was going to bring up the DNA testing issue again. Technology has moved on so much now. There was so much talk last year about who had dogs that were non peds, and who was suspected of using non peds at stud, that I think the time has come for us all to be testing. It is so inexpensive now at £15 a dog, that I think it should at least be encouraged. I imagine in a few years time it will be commonplace anyway.

I'll throw that in for starters :lol:

What was your item for the agenda?

Rob Rixon said:
Hi All
Yes we saw the talk-in ad in the 4th Champ programme.

Yes we discussed it at EA committee meeting

Yes I email Paul with an item to be discussed and Jeanette Fage (the new EA Sec) had a second point to raise.

However, there seemed to be little interest form other affiliated clubs!

So my question is WHAT QUESTIONS WOULD YOU WISH TO RAISE - if there was a talk-in?  May be we should have an on-line Talk-in or should we call it an Message-in?  I'm fed up with looking about pics of Pups - lets get on to some meaty subjects!! ;)

I think it is a pity we are not having talk-in has I'll have to write about something else for Whippet News! :(

A topic that i think could be brought up concerns line judging and half way stewards having racecards with them surely not as this could be deemed to favour a certain dog.

Would it not be far better to have just a pad and pen and write down the colour.

BeeJay said:
I think that a question I had has now been answered.  My question is.
Do the club sec's get a posted letter as well as an email?    We all know that email's can get spam filtered out or lost so it's not that reliable a way to communicate. 

I also do think that it is wrong that club sec's without internet access get their communications from the WCRA later than those with email.  It must be a tad annoying when they get information via other club secs or through the grapevine before hearing it officially from the WCRA.  I am a member of a club where the comment 'oh but it was on the internet, that's how we know about x happening', causes small explosions of annoyance amongst the non computer owning members.  Oh course being me I don't manage to say at least 5 times per meeting 'On the internet it says this'.    :p   :lol:

No we don't get a letter as well as an email. Its not the WCRA's fault I didn't get mine though. As you said, with so much junk email being sent these days a lot of filtering goes on so unfortunately emails are not so reliable these days. I tend to ask people to just hit reply and let me know they've received it if its important.

I see the letter was dated 22nd of November (and emailed that day) and items for the agenda had to be in by 1st of December. So just 9 days later, if you were emailed. Only time for 1 race meeting on a Sunday. The email about the cancellation was sent on 6th December, just 5 days later. Personally, although a notice was put in the Champs programme, not everybody will have seen it and I think the clubs could have been given a bit more time. Obviously there were 2 items from East Anglia and there would have been at least one from June for Gloucester.

lynxexpress said:
A topic that i think could be brought up concerns line judging and half way stewards having racecards with them surely not as this could be deemed to favour a certain dog.Would it not be far better to have just a pad and pen and write down the colour.

A good point and in an ideal world, yes.......but if I can't keep up my programme, I'm not line judging. If I'm working during the racing, I have to much else to do in the break to have time to make it up then. Maybe some other people don't keep up their programmes properly or don't have as many dogs to get out or get ready for the next round. Anyway, I'm very happy for other people to do it if they want to ;)

Also everybody I speak to when I'm line judging says the same thing. Even if they look at the programme just before the race, by the time the dogs are crossing the line, they find they are so busy writing the result down before somebody speaks and puts them off, that their brain just doesn't work quickly enough to remember which dog is in which colour yet alone switch them round and cheat, even if they wanted to!! I guess that's another one of the reasons there are 3 line judges and not just one. When you're line judging and trying to place 3-5 dogs in order, its not the same as just watching one dog to see where it comes in the race.

I can see it more with half-way judges where knowing a particular dog is coming up might make you watch it more if it has a reputation for fighting. And also blaming it if something does happen.

June's question moved to become its own subject

Thanks June :))

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back