The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescue dog need help

NathanK

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

I have got myself a rescue dog, the previous owner said the original owner was using him as a stud dog and then disowned him and left him in a shed. It took weeks for someone to realise and rescue him. I feel like he has had an awful life so I want to do my best to ensure he has his best life.

The first day of being at my home he wouldn't come near me, so I tried to gain his trust with treats and letting him eat with me. He does follow me around the house and will always ensure that I am nearby but will always assess for a way to escape.

Today my parents came round and immediately he was loving with my Dad and would sit on his lap and then a few minutes later he become scared of my Dad but then became fine with me and came and sat on my lap for the first time, PROGRESS!

We took him out with their dogs and he loved it, he would let me stroke him and we had a great time (Even tried to hump my parents dog).

The minute we got back to my home he became his usual self again and won't allow me near him and if I walk past him in his bed he will get out of his bed and try and escape and always stay behind me.

Is this normal behaviour and will he just need more time?

How long have you had him for now?

How long have you had him for now?

Just the two days, but at my parents canal boat and on walks he was like I had him for years, he was sitting on my lap and wouldn't leave my side and loved the fuss. The minute we are back in my home he has changed.

Two days is no time at all... It does make you wonder what experiences he's had in the past, though it's best just to accept him as he is now. Try to keep the pressure off him - give him as much space as he needs, so he doesn't feel trapped when you approach. I'm sure that soon he will begin to trust you more and choose to approach you.

I have a friend whose rescue dog wouldn't come out of her crate for a couple of weeks or so, only sneaking out at night to eat, but she got there in the end. Give your lad time, and I'm sure he'll be fine soon.

Two days is no time at all... It does make you wonder what experiences he's had in the past, though it's best just to accept him as he is now. Try to keep the pressure off him - give him as much space as he needs, so he doesn't feel trapped when you approach. I'm sure that soon he will begin to trust you more and choose to approach you.

I have a friend whose rescue dog wouldn't come out of her crate for a couple of weeks or so, only sneaking out at night to eat, but she got there in the end. Give your lad time, and I'm sure he'll be fine soon.

Thank you :) I do give him space, so I will just do what you said and let him go at his own pace.
Also made sure his bed is in a safe place where he can escape if needed, I feel like that is the right thing to do too?

Just the two days, but at my parents canal boat and on walks he was like I had him for years, he was sitting on my lap and wouldn't leave my side and loved the fuss. The minute we are back in my home he has changed.
As Judy already said....'two days is no time at all'. In past we've had several 'second hand dogs' and even those that didn't have any particularly negative experiences in the previous homes, it would still take weeks if not several months before they would truly feel home with us. I found that best approach is not to give huge amount of fuss but notice them in little and often fashion....talk to them like you were talking to yourself and avoid lots of staring.
As you don't know what kind of interaction your dog has used to in past....or lack of it...it is best to keep it subtle and let the dog figure you and the household in its own pace. Think of your new dog like a stranger who has come to live with you...you would constantly check if this and that is ok with him before proceeding with your lives, eventually setting ground rules that works both of you ;) Or other way...if you were to move into new family...you would be asking if it would be ok to sit on particular seat...could you use something in the house etc. I bet you would not be lifting your legs on the table for a long while, until you would know how others would react to such a thing.... You dog is at the moment REALLY unsure what is ok or if he is safe. It just takes some time and I'm sure you'll be fine in the end.
BTW...(being nosy)....what sort of dog did you rescue?

Last edited:
For the next few days, I'd suggest you ignore him. Put his food down, clip a lead on him, but try not to interact while you are doing it. Not even eye contact, because to a dog, direct eye contact is very intimidating. Also, try to position yourself so you are never between your dog and his safe place (bed etc) or escape route (door from the room).

Then you can try taking some lovely treats and tossing them past him, so he has to go away from you to get them. I realise that sounds counterintuitive but it helps him build a positive conditioned emotional response (google +CER for the science if you are interested) and at the same time means he doesn't have to get too close to you, which could make him feel quite conflicted - he wants the treat but has to approach a scary person to get it.

After a number of days of doing that, put one of the treats on the floor, about 18 inches from your feet. See what he does. If he darts in, takes the treat, and goes off, then he isn't ready yet for this stage. So, as with anything in dog training, go back to the previous step for a bit longer.

When he takes the treat from the floor and eats it there, do that for a few days. Still no eye contact.

Once he has been taking the treat from the floor happily for a number of days, offer one from your hand, but again see how he reacts. Any lack if confidence (taking it and stepping back) again is a sign he isn't ready, so back up a step for longer. And still no eye contact.

Once he is comfortable taking treats from your hand (and I mean really comfortable) you can try petting him, but using the five second rule.

Stroke him for five seconds (some dogs prefer you avoid the head) then stop. Only if he initiates further contact by nudging you or similar, continue for another five seconds then stop again. Continue only for as long as he keeps asking. That gives him control and in turn that will build his confidence around you because he knows he can make it stop at any time.

Expect this to take a couple of weeks, or longer, depending on the dog. But don't be tempted to rush it, take it at his pace.

Little man has shocked me today! I figured he didn't like to approach me while I was sitting on the floor or standing so I sit on the sofa and call him up and he's on my lap.

As I write this he's sitting on my lap while I work on my computer and won't stop licking me for fuss! Woooo!

@Finsky he's a Toy Poodle, lovely little boy, once he's settled got him booked in for a nice trim.

Aww, that's brilliant, you must be so pleased!

Don't rush with the grooming appointment - he might even panic that he's going to be left there. Maybe find an understanding groomer, let him get to know them first, and make sure that they understand that him feeling safe and secure is more important than the latest hairdo, even if you have to go and collect him 30 seconds after leaving him there.

Also be very aware, as he has been used at stud, that he may make a mistake under certain circumstances and think he is required to be a stud again. I'd avoid having dogs come to your home until he is well and truly over his old life (may be months, may be longer) and be careful of scent-marking if you take him to someone else's home - keep him on a lead beside you if so.

Having been a stud dog isn't contrary to being well-behaved with other dogs or in other places than his own home - I had a stud dog and his manners were impeccable, but he wasn't a rescue and he spent all his time with me. Also that might have been the only time yours had any positive human association too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back