The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Retained Testicles

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My Lenny had both testicles retained, I had them removed when he was 3 years old (earlier on this year). Our vet told us that actually it wasn't as difficult an op as some vets made out and only charged us £99, our old vets were going to charge £300-350, I have heard of some people having to pay as much as £500 (w00t)

The reason we waited as long as we did was because Lenny is a nervous dog so we didn't want to add to his problems by removing his 'manly' hormones to early before he had completely matured. Turns out that he became a lot calmer after the op, I suspect that the retained testicles were actually in an area which was causing him pain. Behavioural problems aside, I would still wait until a dog was about 2 years before having them castrated. I would definately get them done though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I say in defence of my colleagues (not something I rush at, but in this case I think it's justified)...

removing one or two retained testicles can be anything from a minor incision in the inguinal area (groin) where the testicle has come out of the abdomen but not slid down into the scrotum, to major abdominal surgery where 'hunt the testicle' can be less than trivial, particularly for someone who's not a soft tissue surgeon and doesn't do it daily.

Added to that, as an anaesthetist (which granted means I'm paranoid), if it were my dog, I'd want:

propofol anaesthesia (not cheap)

isoflurane gas to maintain the anaesthesia (very not cheap)

a warming pad, the possibility of intravenous fluids (with catheter and giving set - also not cheap) and proper monitoring during the anaesthetic (and that means more than a nurse with her finger on the pulse). Pulse oximeters, ECGs and blood pressure monitors are adapted from the human market and are really not cheap, plus the anaesthetist has to know how to use them and what to do when something adverse happens - which means traning, which isn't cheap

and above all else, I'd want proper aftercare, which would involve decent pain relief at least to the degree that I'd want for myself which means having someone who understands pharmacology and is competent in proper post operative care which isn't a given by any means.

So if it were my dog, I'd want the best and the knowledge and training required for that doesn't come cheaply.

Of course some people will charge a lot regardless so just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good, but I'd be wary of cut price options.

m

Maybe Lennys were easy to find then (w00t) The cut was not where I expected though, it was where his belly button is :wacko:

I did check about the anaesthetic as I am paranoid about that too. He is a vet working alone (with nurses) so perhaps that is why he is cheap?

jezza said:
Maybe Lennys were easy to find then  (w00t)   The cut was not where I expected though, it was where his belly button is  :wacko:
I did check about the anaesthetic as I am paranoid about that too. He is a vet working alone (with nurses) so perhaps that is why he is cheap?

Could be - that wasn't a criticism, more of a defense of those who might be accused of profiteering.

single-handed people are often very good - they have to be 'cos there's no-one else to pass the buck to. :lol:

Eceni said:
jezza said:
Maybe Lennys were easy to find then  (w00t)   The cut was not where I expected though, it was where his belly button is  :wacko:

Could be - that wasn't a criticism, more of a defense of those who might be accused of profiteering.

single-handed people are often very good - they have to be 'cos there's no-one else to pass the buck to. :lol:

He does seem very good, he came recommended to me by a friend with lurchers. She told me that the vet kept sighthounds himself which I why I trusted him with my little terror :D I think I was a bit narked with my old vets really, it was a large vets with lots of locum staff and a 24 hour service so things didn't come cheap there.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back