The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Robin and wee-ing!

Robins mum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey ! Hi! my wise online friends!

Here's a conundrum for you!

Robin is a complete STAR! He has not had a 'mishap' in the home since he was a few months old bless him, always treated gently and fairly and very easy to train, I feel it is inate in his breeding to NOT soil the throne! LOL!

So! my problem is simple! - I have a dog that will NOT under any circumstances it seems, not only NOT soil the home, but will not soil the garden either!!!!

I would very much help him to understand it is fine to wee in the garden (saves me a job of a late night walk!) But also because I am alone and no one I trust or who really would want to walk Robin if I were sick or something. So rather than burst his bladder are there any proceedures I can do that might just encourage him to wee in the garden? Perhaps getting another dog in to urinate somewhere?

Thanks folks (fingers crossed!)

J.

You could ask the owner of another dog (ideally, male) to get their dog to come and wee in your garden and see if Robin would wee on top of that.

You could ask the owner of another dog (ideally, male) to get their dog to come and wee in your garden and see if Robin would wee on top of that.

Hi! Thanks! yes, I did wonder if that might work, I have had other dogs in who have urinated in the garden but that was a while ago, so perhaps I could try again!

Having said that, this morning! he has actually passed faeces, in the garden! That is a good start! Not that I want him to do that all the time of course, but I'm back to work (retirement was too short! - Thanks Bill Gates!) so that means my routine is no longer going to be a routine and at least if he is left longer than expected at some point when I return home he can at least leap through the door and wee!

I have wondered about leaving him with the back door open to allow free access when I am out, because there have been some times I have been 6 hours away unexpectedly and that really is far too long for him to be left without passing urine I believe? I'm just afraid he might get into trouble and no one would be able to get to him to help - although, that could be said about him being in the bungalow I guess. Oh, descisions, descisions! ......................

I have wondered about leaving him with the back door open to allow free access when I am out

This would probably invalidate your insurance if you were burgled. And do be VERY careful about what you put on social media. There are people who are excellent at piecing together bits of information about where you live (hacked IP addresses, where you walk, type of dog, car, house... ). They could get an approximate idea of where you live and walk, hang around till they see a borzoi, follow you home and wait for you to go out.

This would probably invalidate your insurance if you were burgled. And do be VERY careful about what you put on social media. There are people who are excellent at piecing together bits of information about where you live (hacked IP addresses, where you walk, type of dog, car, house... ). They could get an approximate idea of where you live and walk, hang around till they see a borzoi, follow you home and wait for you to go out.

Thanks! :( :( :( I LOVE being alone! ....................... I think I might get a lodger! LOL! You are right of course! I was just hoping the large dog would be a deterrent, but of course not! He's a puppy! Oh dear :(

It might also cause him to regress in his toilet training. With an open door, there is less of a distinction between where indoors ends and outdoors begins.

My neighbour (in his eighties) has had two rescues since he’s been here and neither of them would wee nor poo in his garden. It caused no problem whatsoever. They had two walks a day and were the epitome of happy dogs. I certainly echo JudyN’s caution re giving information. There are some devious individuals out there.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back